Cretin-Derham Hall wins without Seantrel

St Paul Fan

where life is better
Reaction score
Seantrel is in Washington for some activities related to the Army Bowl in early 2010, so the Raiders played Hastings last night without him. They didn't need him last night, winning 66-40

The CDH Raiders started three sophomores: CJ Neuman, Cortez Tillman and Taylor Montero. All three looked pretty good and CJ Neuman (who filled in for Henderson) scored 10 points against an older set of forwards/centers.

Also starting were Elliot Owusu (senior) and Raijon Kelly (junior). Owusu is making the transition from football and at times looked like he was still in football mode. It was pretty clear that the team's players who competed in the State Title game were still a bit rusty.

Kelly is still pretty silky-smooth but was having some problems from the 3-point range. He made some very nice passes inside however and seemed more interested in distributing the ball than last year.

The Raiders tore a page out of Tubby's substitution play book, often subbing 4 or 5 players at a time. "Line changes" have clearly hit the basketball coaching mentality :) Gus Gehlen (senior) is just back from recovering from an ankle (or foot?) injury but seemed to have his 3-point stroke and looked much more confident than last year. Willie Roller (junior) is back playing basketball after a one-year hiatus and reminds me a bit of J'son Stamper in being able to overcome his relative lack of height with a lot of smart positioning. Roller made one of the most unselfish plays of the night giving up a certain bucket to pass the ball to another player further down the bench.

CDH's band was there last night and they really stirred up the fieldhouse. Not as many students as I would have expected for the first game but a decent turnout.

Tonight CDH plays St Thomas there -- 6:00. I'm adverse to waiting in line, so I'm gonna pass on the live game. MSBN is videocasting it at their site (http://www.mnsportsnetwork.com/) and beer is permitted at home. ;)

FWIW, unless they've improved leaps and bounds since last year, a few random guys off the street could beat Hastings.

FWIW, unless they've improved leaps and bounds since last year, a few random guys off the street could beat Hastings.
They've got a bunch of seniors playing for them ... #33 (Shane Monjeau) is averaging over 17 ppg after five games and #32 (Nick Gmiterko) is averaging over 14 ppg. Both of them looked fairly decent.

Hastings overall record shows they've been able to hang in a number of previous games:

12/4/2009 Willmar (L 65-69)
12/5/2009 Delano (L 56-64)
12/10/2009 Edina (L 52-55)
12/15/2009 Red Wing (W 66-50)
12/18/2009 Cretin-Derham Hall (L 40-66)

CDH was the only lopsided loss.

CDH also beats St Thomas Academy w/out Henderson

They got really good play out of sophomore CJ Neuman again -- he's stepped in (and stepped up) while Seantrel is out of town on visits, etc. Neuman scored 19 points as did Raijon Kelly.

Kelly is the grandson of Arvesta Kelly Sr and son of Arvesta Kelly Jr. Senior played in the pre-merger ABA and is a CDH assistant coach. Junior also played at CDH and had a pretty solid prep career during the early '90s when CDH played for state titles. He played point last year and switched to SG this year with Cortez Tillman taking the point.

Final score was 58-55.

CDH Ref's are horrible

I know its not exactly a new story about CDH Ref's, but that makes 4 visits in a row to CDH for basketball that the ref's have started the game by letting everyone know they will be completely biased, and the visiting team will have no chance of winning this game. Actually, the last game I saw, It was a fatter ref that made the majority of the bad calls. Yes I said FATTER ref. The normal sized guy did a fairly normal job.

I can't understand how they can get away with it. No less than 10 ridiculous calls or more per game. Most ref crews will screw up 1 or 2 calls a game by being out of position, but when the numbers start to hit double digits, every home game, something is wrong.

If anyone thinks this is incorrect, please don't bother to e-mail, unless your from a visiting team perspective.

Mojo

Bitter

Probably. The better team won that Hastings game. The ref's (Fat Ref) didn't have to make it worse. That has been the case in our last 3 games at CDH. 4 or so years ago I came and watched Park get completely hosed on a game they should have won. As far as I can see it must happen at every home CDH game.

As for Seantrel Henderson. He gets into foul trouble, but he is a clean ball player. Can't say that for many other sub par players from CDH.

Yes its late, but looking for Seantrel news brought me back. Sorry.

Mojo

CDH........

is an average team, in a below average league this year. The Suburban East is down. Forest Lake might win it.

Take notice that WBL beat Forest Lake by 20 tonight. MV is soft, Stillwater is up and down,
The whole Conference is wide open. That makes it fun. Just want it to be fair.

The SEC is down in my mind, but the entire 4A Conference is wide open.

The best team in the State plays in 3A. St. Paul Johnson makes them all look weak.

Even Hopkins is within reach. I see Mnpls North just beat them. And another top team
Champlin Park just lost to Coon Rapids. #2 highly overrated Tarten lost a couple games recently.

That's the way its supposed to be.

Mojo

Ridiculous that Johnson has a couple down years and switches down to 3A, reloads and now is competing against the best of the best (regardless of division). I was in high school when they were playing 4A still, I see no reason (don't talk about student population--I know that's what dictates it ultimately but you can still chose to play up) why they should be playing down at all. They'll EASILY win the 3A championship this year, and barring a bizarre upset (or I suppose Robbinsdale Armstrong or St. Paul Central #7 in 3A could also do it theoretically) they'll go undefeated.

I know its not exactly a new story about CDH Ref's, but that makes 4 visits in a row to CDH for basketball that the ref's have started the game by letting everyone know they will be completely biased, and the visiting team will have no chance of winning this game. Actually, the last game I saw, It was a fatter ref that made the majority of the bad calls. Yes I said FATTER ref. The normal sized guy did a fairly normal job.

I can't understand how they can get away with it. No less than 10 ridiculous calls or more per game. Most ref crews will screw up 1 or 2 calls a game by being out of position, but when the numbers start to hit double digits, every home game, something is wrong.

If anyone thinks this is incorrect, please don't bother to e-mail, unless your from a visiting team perspective.
I didn't see the Hastings game but caught the Forest Lake game and last night's game versus Woodbury. There were a number of calls I'd question on both sides of the court against Forest Lake. The calls in the Woodbury game seemed to favor Woodbury more than CDH.

Forest Lake ended up with the victory so I don't think the officiating can be cited as favoring CDH. I expected to see a better performance from Woodbury given the number of Seniors that they start and play -- but it sure seemed to me that the foul calls and the travelling calls didn't favor CDH.

One thing to bear in mind with high school officials: they're better than the sets that call the 9th grade and lower levels; however, they're not as strong as officials that call college ball. (There's generally a reason why they're calling High School games.)

Forest Lake..

was missing thsie top player in that WBL game..don't know why, but he's absent from the box score.

Top Bottom