Crazy Legs Hoese

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
I have heard nothing from this guy lately. He showed a lot of promise earlier in the year. It sort of makes me wonder if the offensive scheme is in flux (read: chaos) or if he's done something in substantial behind the scenes.

He is getting a run or two up the gut a game. I don't think its a knock on him or our offense, I just think FB is a quiet position much like OL where you only get noticed when you mess up. Other than option offenses the FB role has diminished greatly.

Handsome -
With your "background" I'm surprised you don't know!!!!!!!!

While Hoese hasn't carried much, he has been the lead blocker for many plays. I wish the GopherSports.com website posted the playing time for each player. Does anyone know of where this info can be found? I just checked the Big Ten Network site and they don't report playing time either.

Have John Hoese tell Nick Tow Arnett to stop dropping catchable balls. Sure he has had some clutch catches but they only offset the drops.

Hoese was the lead blocker on that PSU goal line 4th down sweep to Whaley. Made a nice block too.

Hoese didn't make a great block. Instead he got pulled in by the first guy which allowed the other two get outside him. He should have been farther out and got one of the two tacklers.

I think he does pretty good job of taking a quick hand off making a quick read and putting his head down. I don't expect him to break tackles, but I do expect him to fall foward.

In general he does a pretty good job of getting his helmet on a defender. I think he would tell you he needs to improve his technique some to get in better position.

to me, he has had a down year. He is the lead blocker on most runs, and a lot of the time he is not making a good enough block to create a hole where the running back can burst through the hole. And with our smaller stable of rb's, the hole needs to be totally clean because our rb's cant break any tackles so if there is even a arm or something they will stop or slow them down. That being said, i'm sure other fb's around the country make as good of blocks as hoese does and the rb gains a good chunk of yards, so the blame cant be soley laid on Hoese.
Side note, he is a great guy and does the most he can do when he is given the ball.
he came out of nowhere last year and has been a contributer to our team, which is in itself is good progress, so we know he works hard and has a passion for the game, the kind of player I want to represent our great state.

Hoese's inability to block (he is a converted S not a LB or OL/TE) cost us 7 against PSU on that Whaley run on 4th down. He basically allowed himself to get blocked and couldn't shed the DE to get out and get at least one guy with a good angle on Whaley.

I disagree about the PSU block, had Whaley cut up behind Hoese's block, he would have scored. Just what I saw at the game and on replays.

I disagree about the PSU block, had Whaley cut up behind Hoese's block, he would have scored. Just what I saw at the game and on replays.
I've watched it several times, Whaley slows up considerably. If he goes all out from the moment he touches the ball, he gets the corner.

Hoese's inability to block (he is a converted S not a LB or OL/TE) cost us 7 against PSU on that Whaley run on 4th down. He basically allowed himself to get blocked and couldn't shed the DE to get out and get at least one guy with a good angle on Whaley.

This is incorrect...I watched the game again yesterday and on DVR watched his block three times...The guy made a great block on that play...Whaley should've either cut inside or taken a more direct route to the corner for the score...Hoese pancaked the dude for crying out loud...

It wasn't a block the guy grabbed him around the neck and took him down. Thats not a pancake thats a knockdown for the defender. It was a bad play call but the blocking was even worse on Hoese's end. He's not a blocking FB. Thats not his thing. He's way to small to be a blocking FB. I'd much rather see them convert a benchwarming lineman.

What would you propose Hoese do on that play? Seriously? The end was going to tackle him if he didn't block him. Should he have left the end? And yes, it was a good block. Is this going to be like the scout board where you are an expert on every and all things? 230-240 lbs is plenty big for a FB and he will be bigger and better next year. Fisch thinks he has pro potential. I've coached against the kid, he's a stud--period.

What would you propose Hoese do on that play? Seriously? The end was going to tackle him if he didn't block him. Should he have left the end? And yes, it was a good block. Is this going to be like the scout board where you are an expert on every and all things? 230-240 lbs is plenty big for a FB and he will be bigger and better next year. Fisch thinks he has pro potential. I've coached against the kid, he's a stud--period.
Frod0's problem is that he's a Hutch Tigers fan and he can't accept the fact that the little school down the road can turn out D1 talent too.

Top Bottom