Coyle gets my props!

I think the question isn't whether they had the authorization to pay that much, but whether they had the ability to draw someone who was worth that much. Is Fleck our coach if either of them are the AD? I doubt it.

My understanding is that the BOR were caught off guard with this hire. I've heard some things back channel and this is also reinforced in the Pioneer Press article from a few days ago. This indicates either a little slyness on the part of Kaler and Coyle, or just bad miscommunication on their part.

In my opinion, some of the regents just look at these as costs and not investments. That's where the tension is.

The BOR is generally unimpressed with the athletic department's ability to balance a budget. The athletic department has not historically maintained a "transition fund" for coaching changes, so this sort of thing pisses them off. Additionally, the debt servicing for the new practice facility is going to kick in and the BOR is freaking out. Need to start filling the seats.

On the other hand, we're now at the big boy table and I couldn't be happier.

People are just butt hurt about some perceived 'savior' of Gopher football being let go. These individuals live in a self-created fantasy world. Hopefully they'll find their safe place but if they don't let them live within their angry world and let's move on. Coyle isn't going anywhere. Gopher Football is moving forward and I for one can't wait!!

Congrats Fleck on becoming the next Gopher Football coach and congrats Coyle for turning this athletic department into a cleaner program!!

Keep telling yourself that. I'm looking forward to Fleck's tenure as well as real change in the AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are just butt hurt about some perceived 'savior' of Gopher football being let go. These individuals live in a self-created fantasy world. Hopefully they'll find their safe place but if they don't let them live within their angry world and let's move on. Coyle isn't going anywhere. Gopher Football is moving forward and I for one can't wait!!

Congrats Fleck on becoming the next Gopher Football coach and congrats Coyle for turning this athletic department into a cleaner program!!

2017 is gonna be your High School Graduating Class right? :rolleyes:

Mark Coyle was brought in to make tough decisions and help raise money. Good leaders are not always going to make everyone happy. They have to act in the best interests of the University and the athletic department as a whole.

He could have handled the situation much better as could have Tracy Claeys but at the end of the day, Claeys was essentially a lame duck coach from the get-go and was handed the job by default when Kill abruptly resigned in October 2015. Goetz had no other real option other than to name Claeys head coach and give him a new deal. There is a reason there was such a low buyout in his deal knowing very well a new AD may come in and want to choose his own head football coach.

This is big-time business known as Division I college athletics and it's obvious that Coyle had a plan in place since day one. He had a candidate (or two) in mind, he zeroed in on him and made him an offer. No search firm needed whatsoever. Let's be honest, Tracy Claeys was not going to be the face of the football program long-term.

And for everyone wanting Kaler and Coyle fired, the University will NEVER sustain long-term success if you are constantly having administration and coaching turnover. Just look at other administrations like Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They invest in athletics and they generally have low turnover.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but Coyle should have just let Claeys go after the Wisconsin loss and simply said we are going to go in a new direction. That is difficult to do following an 8-4 season (before the bowl win) however, Coyle has the right to bring in his own guy as the new AD. Claeys knew from day one his job could be in jeopardy when the new AD came in.

We also need to remember this is about a cultural change, not so much about performance on the field. Kill and Claeys rebuilt this program and have a established a very solid foundation. it will be in very good hands going forward with Fleck. This program is in a very good position right now with the new facilities and modern stadium on campus.

We need an AD and head football coach on the same page and I think we finally got that with Coyle and Fleck. We didn't have that with Kill-Teague or Claeys-Coyle. Coyle did what he was brought in to do and that is to help change the image and culture of U of M athletics. I will be curious how the fundraising efforts will be impacted moving forward through 2017.

Mark Coyle was brought in to make tough decisions and help raise money. Good leaders are not always going to make everyone happy. They have to act in the best interests of the University and the athletic department as a whole.

He could have handled the situation much better as could have Tracy Claeys but at the end of the day, Claeys was essentially a lame duck coach from the get-go and was handed the job by default when Kill abruptly resigned in October 2015. Goetz had no other real option other than to name Claeys head coach and give him a new deal. There is a reason there was such a low buyout in his deal knowing very well a new AD may come in and want to choose his own head football coach.

This is big-time business known as Division I college athletics and it's obvious that Coyle had a plan in place since day one. He had a candidate (or two) in mind, he zeroed in on him and made him an offer. No search firm needed whatsoever. Let's be honest, Tracy Claeys was not going to be the face of the football program long-term.

And for everyone wanting Kaler and Coyle fired, the University will NEVER sustain long-term success if you are constantly having administration and coaching turnover. Just look at other administrations like Ohio State, Iowa, and Wisconsin. They invest in athletics and they generally have low turnover.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but Coyle should have just let Claeys go after the Wisconsin loss and simply said we are going to go in a new direction. That is difficult to do following an 8-4 season (before the bowl win) however, Coyle has the right to bring in his own guy as the new AD. Claeys knew from day one his job could be in jeopardy when the new AD came in.

We also need to remember this is about a cultural change, not so much about performance on the field. Kill and Claeys rebuilt this program and have a established a very solid foundation. it will be in very good hands going forward with Fleck. This program is in a very good position right now with the new facilities and modern stadium on campus.

We need an AD and head football coach on the same page and I think we finally got that with Coyle and Fleck. We didn't have that with Kill-Teague or Claeys-Coyle. Coyle did what he was brought in to do and that is to help change the image and culture of U of M athletics. I will be curious how the fundraising efforts will be impacted moving forward through 2017.
Seems like you want snakes as your leaders at UMN. I won't join you in worship.

Top Bottom