Cosgrove was Brewster's mistake

diefirma

Reaction score
If the defense were better we would have won at least two or three more games and Brewster would still be coach next year. Who ever the new coach is, he will have a chance to have a decent year because of the red shirts this year and some of the talent on D being more mature and, we hope, better coached.

It was Brewster who brought him in...so yeah it's his own fault...

And

praising the spread offense no end but to suddenly change it-- in what he seemed to believe in so strongly. Those two things really helped do him in. i.e. Cosgrove. Actually Cosgrove wasnt that bad last year especially toward the end of the year.

I don't know what you're talking about. We haven't seen this much talent and speed on defense in many many many years....

I don't know what you're talking about. We haven't seen this much talent and speed on defense in many many many years....

Tough loss for Iowa yesterday huh? You really show a lot of character coming here to kick us while we're down.

I live in Nebraska and everyone dogs me because Cosgrove is our DC. They wonder how he ever got that job.

Cosgrove was not ideal, but Brewster had many other glaring issues that were far superior: change in offensive schemes, coordinator rotating doors, inexperience, poor decision making, etc. Cosgrove was here for one year. Brewster failed four years running.

Cosgrove is just the period at the end of an indecisive sentence.

I think the biggest issue has been not retaining the coordinators in general. Cosgrove has been bad, but it in general, it would have been nice to just have built some sort of identity. Brewster hired Cosgrove and Fisch so those are on him, but I don't know what the solution would have been.

I really have no problem with us leaving the spread. I think our offense this season is good enough to win some games. I think if we would have had an average defense (or even slightly less than average) we would have had a 6-6/7-5 type of season. I haven't really had an issue with Horton's play calling or the way our offensive has come together.

Cosgrove

The defense was terrible because we had to replace 11 to 10 new starters. The problem is not Cosgrove but a very young defense. I know Cosgrove may not be the best but posters were acting like the underclassman he had this year on defense were better than the Steelers defense before the season started.

Last year the defense struggled at times because they were on the field the whole game. If we had the same defense from last year, we'd have a winning record this year.

Cosgrove is not the greatest but Brewster's mistakes go much deeper. I don't have time to type them all out.

The defense was terrible because we had to replace 11 to 10 new starters. The problem is not Cosgrove but a very young defense. I know Cosgrove may not be the best but posters were acting like the underclassman he had this year on defense were better than the Steelers defense before the season started.

Last year the defense struggled at times because they were on the field the whole game. If we had the same defense from last year, we'd have a winning record this year.

Cosgrove is not the greatest but Brewster's mistakes go much deeper. I don't have time to type them all out.

I hand it to you gold04. I actually agree with you on this one.

here's the truth-we have a below average offense this year, and a non existent defense this year. That equates to 0 or 1 win.

to win 6 or more, we need to be average in one and avg or better than average in the other

last year we had an average defense and a below average offense= 6 wins; there is little to no difference between this yr offense and last year's

here's the truth-we have a below average offense this year, and a non existent defense this year. That equates to 0 or 1 win.

to win 6 or more, we need to be average in one and avg or better than average in the other

last year we had an average defense and a below average offense= 6 wins; there is little to no difference between this yr offense and last year's

Really? Is that what you're going to go with?

Against a considerably more difficult schedule, the Gophers are averaging 80+ more yards of offense per game than last year, but they are giving up 40+ more yards of offense to their opponents. They're also averaging 4 more points per game, which is significant (20% increase).

The offense is no better? Is that the best you can come up with?

gold04 is right on the money. With last year's defense, which by your own admission was average, the Gophers would have a winning record last year.

The defense is young and inexperienced. Period. Don't try to make this more complicated than it is. As is usually the case, things are never quite as good as they may seem and they are never quite as bad as they seem.

This year's offense is night and day better than last year's offense. It's just that the defense is much, much worse this year. If you have a decent defense, you can win some games even with a bad offense. But if you have an awful defense and a good offense, you really are in a deep hole.

Top Bottom