Cory Jospeh..... Should we be worried?

Tubby Tyme...did you read the comments at the end of the article? The author commented that Cory's brother is at MN, and MN will be tough to beat in the recruiting. Thanks for the link Tubby Tyme.

Just a little concerned that's all. He mentions Calhoun, Nova, and the Rebels. It would've been nice to have him reference MN or Tubby.

Just a little concerned that's all. He mentions Calhoun, Nova, and the Rebels. It would've been nice to have him reference MN or Tubby.

I'm sure he mentioned MN and Tubby. The writer just didn't include it in his article.

I'm thinking the writer was trying to convey two story angles - 1) UNLV interest; 2) Cory being at UConn when the football player was killed. Minnesota - at this point - was secondary. I will grant you it was odd to include a Nova comment and not a Minnesota one. But, based on the author's comment in the comment section, they must have discussed MN.

Mellow Tubby Tyme...we already have Devoe, any additional Joseph's would be gravy.

Does anyone else view C. Joseph as a Harrison Barnes type recruiting story for the U? Sure, we're in the picture; good story and all with his brother playing here, but I'm not quite sure.

It'd be great to land him, but you'd think he hardly could be impressed with our O and his big bro's numbers after last year. Yes, in our eyes, Devoe played well and was respectable as a freshman, but if you're a Top 20 recruit, you're thinking that wherever you go you'll be putting up much better numbers as a frosh and getting more clock, especially on a middle-of-the-pack Big 10 team like we were last year. Especially if you have pro aspirations.

I would love to see Joseph the Younger in Maroon and Gold, but I am not getting my hopes up. For me, he is the Seantral Henderson of Gopher basketball recruiting. I would be ecstatic to get him, but i'm not expecting much.

He is the #7 rated player in the nation. While we are not used to having this type of talent consider the U this will continue as long as Tubby is around. I think we have a VERY good chance to land Cory. Sounds like it is down to NOVA, UCONN, and UofM. There will be players in front of him no matter where he goes but he is the 7th best recruit in the nation so that shouldn't worry him. Ultimately it comes down to him wanting to play with his older bro or not.....

I would love to see Joseph the Younger in Maroon and Gold, but I am not getting my hopes up. For me, he is the Seantral Henderson of Gopher basketball recruiting. I would be ecstatic to get him, but i'm not expecting much.

Why did we pay Tubby Smith to come here and why are we going to build him a practice facility in an era that will make such a priority unconscionable? If your mentality is the standard, we should have just promoted Molinari.

Are you serious AK? How can you consider yourself a gopher fan (I'm assuming you are) saying stuff like that?
IT TAKES TIME TO TURN AROUND A PROGRAM AND GET TO THE ELITE LEVEL!

Are you serious AK? How can you consider yourself a gopher fan (I'm assuming you are) saying stuff like that?
IT TAKES TIME TO TURN AROUND A PROGRAM AND GET TO THE ELITE LEVEL!

I'm serious. Read the quote I'm responding to, making the notion of repeating the past two recruiting and doing it on a consistent basis. We brought in Coach Smith, and are paying Vince Taylor well for that matter to, so they will deliver like they did the past two years.

Seantrel Henderson choosing Minnesota would be taking a chance on a coach and a program that hasn't proved it can deliver and turning down proven elite coaches and programs. We have an elite coach and a program that has been successful when not clouded by scandal, that is why Coach Smith will get a facility despite tuition rates sky-rocketing, nursing homes being understaffed, K-12 education funding not being delivered, and with roads in poor condition. Maturi, Bruinicks, and the regents chose to get back into the big business of elite NCAA hoops and are making (and will continue to do so) the financial commitment to compete at that level.

When the team might be a year away from Big Ten Championship quality if it can solve the point guard spot, it should be safe to expect that Coaches Smith and Taylor will have an excellent shot at delivering a Cory Joseph or Ray McCallum. Otherwise, Molinari should have been promoted or Jay Pivec brought in and no practice facility should be thought of in these economic times. Then a trip to the tourney every 4-7 years would have been good enough while not getting our hopes up to land an elite prospect will be the safe thing to do to be fair to the coaches, players, and fans. Thankfully, Maturi, Bruinicks, and the regents didn't choose that route.

First off, considering you quoted the quote you were responding to, it was pretty easy to see what you were responding to from Bob_Loblaw...
Second, the last time I checked, the athletic department has never FUNDRAISED for limit tuition rates, understaffed nursing homes, or poor road conditions. PLEASE CORRECT ME if I am wrong, but the U is not asking for public money to help build this new practice facility. It will all be done through fundraising and private donations.

Coach Smith and Taylor should not be expected to land the #7 player in the nation because of their salaries. We do have an excellent shot (in his final three schools by most reports) at getting him, but to say if we weren't in this spot, that we should've kept Molinari and or brought in Pivec is absolutely ludacris.

I have no problem with the two lesser heralded recruits in this year's class because they will add depth to areas that need exactly that quality. We need a PG and considering what we are paying our staff we should be in the hunt for a quality PG.

It'll be interesting to see if the practice facility can be built and the real estate purchased with only private funding. I wouldn't consider a regent a pinko if they objected on the basis that it is an asinine priority at this time.

There should be a sense of urgency starting now with recruiting this position and it should carry onto the court because starting next year Coach Smith might have window of opportunity, created by his recruiting efforts, where he will have an opportunity to compete for a conference championship and a ranking throughout the season. It appears that the only question mark might be the PG position. This decade ending will likely be the first in the modern era when we haven't produced a top 10 team.

I totally agree with you AK, there should be an urgency shown to sign a kid of this caliber. If we can sign him, then in my opinion it shows that this program is truly back on the national level.

I'm serious. Read the quote I'm responding to, making the notion of repeating the past two recruiting and doing it on a consistent basis. We brought in Coach Smith, and are paying Vince Taylor well for that matter to, so they will deliver like they did the past two years.

Seantrel Henderson choosing Minnesota would be taking a chance on a coach and a program that hasn't proved it can deliver and turning down proven elite coaches and programs. We have an elite coach and a program that has been successful when not clouded by scandal, that is why Coach Smith will get a facility despite tuition rates sky-rocketing, nursing homes being understaffed, K-12 education funding not being delivered, and with roads in poor condition. Maturi, Bruinicks, and the regents chose to get back into the big business of elite NCAA hoops and are making (and will continue to do so) the financial commitment to compete at that level.

When the team might be a year away from Big Ten Championship quality if it can solve the point guard spot, it should be safe to expect that Coaches Smith and Taylor will have an excellent shot at delivering a Cory Joseph or Ray McCallum. Otherwise, Molinari should have been promoted or Jay Pivec brought in and no practice facility should be thought of in these economic times. Then a trip to the tourney every 4-7 years would have been good enough while not getting our hopes up to land an elite prospect will be the safe thing to do to be fair to the coaches, players, and fans. Thankfully, Maturi, Bruinicks, and the regents didn't choose that route.

Great points, however, the Gophers will not land McCallum. I don't know why people on here keep holding out on this kid. He has low interest in Minnesota and doesn't even mention the U in interviews lately. Just because we offered him doesn't mean he's at all interested.
I don't know when the Gophers will be in contention for the conference title, but the program is certainly on the rise.

I think Joseph only really has the Gophers on the list as a courtesy. I would be shocked if Tubby lands him.

I think Joseph only really has the Gophers on the list as a courtesy. I would be shocked if Tubby lands him.

I don't think that is the case at all... Everything I have seen seems to indicate the Gophers are one of his potential choices.

Cory Joseph wants to choose a team where he will be a prominent player as a freshman.

Most of the schools on his list have deep rosters and are recruiting other PG too.

You're an idiot. Tubby doesn't play games like this and doesn't need a recruit to keep MN in his final five to make us look good.

Tubby Trust...Your 1st three words are an indication of childish and immature comments to a person that simply expresses an opinion, and then is called an idiot by you. Had you left those 1st three words off, your reply would have been respected. Please refrain from the name calling just because you do not agree.

I didn't say Tubby was playing games. I have a feeling that Joseph is keeping the Gophers on his list, but isn't really considering them any more. Just my idiotic feeling, nothing more.

Tubby Trust...Your 1st three words are an indication of childish and immature comments to a person that simply expresses an opinion, and then is called an idiot by you. Had you left those 1st three words off, your reply would have been respected. Please refrain from the name calling just because you do not agree.

My thoughts exactly, Don. We have way too much of that crap around here now.

I didn't say Tubby was playing games. I have a feeling that Joseph is keeping the Gophers on his list, but isn't really considering them any more. Just my idiotic feeling, nothing more.

This doesn't seem to jive given the current evidence on hand. I haven't heard of too many players that schedule an unofficial visit and then an official visit to places that they aren't considering. But I guess you could be correct.

This doesn't seem to jive given the current evidence on hand. I haven't heard of too many players that schedule an unofficial visit and then an official visit to places that they aren't considering. But I guess you could be correct.

More than anything this is probably just my naturally pessimistic nature coming to the forefront. I was convinced the Gophers wouldn't get Rodney Williams, too.

More than anything this is probably just my naturally pessimistic nature coming to the forefront. I was convinced the Gophers wouldn't get Rodney Williams, too.

Please don't interpret my comment as a rip, because it honestly wasn't. I'm just surprised. Of course, you could be correct. After all, at the end of the day, there are very few who are truly in the know on stuff like this. And as to your naturally pessimistic view, I can relate. A lot of times I see things in a similar light. I just happen to feel pretty good about our spot with Joseph as of now. Obviously, that doesn't count for much, but hey, I'm choosing to optimistic on this one!!!;)

AK, give me a break here. Whether the U builds a practice facility or not has nothing to do with nursing home staffing or road conditions. If they start asking the State Legislature for money to build it, then you can rant about that right along with what I'm sure is an objection to Target Field and the X even though they're both good for the state and are not funded from sources that would have funded any of the items you're complaing about. The whole "what about poor children without winter coats" argument any time a community invests in something people disagree with drives me nuts.

I also hate the arguement that major construction projects should not be under-taken in 'tough' economic times.' Target Field was started in good economic times and finished in bad economic times. So was TCF. A practice facility may be nearing completion in good economic times. Will it be OK then even though it was wrong to fund it initially? Major projects will be funded and exist through many years and decades. Through good economies and bad. Letting the current economy completely influence whether to undertake a project that will exist for 30 years just because it 'looks bad' to a few people is the very definition of short-sighted.

Even complaining about tuition increases is a reach. The people who donate to the practice facility would likely not donate to a 'keep tuition low' fundraiser.

Finally, Corey Joseph is nothing like Seantrel Henderson. He's from Canada, not Cretin Durham Hall. If he was, I might agree with you that we have a right to expect Tubby to keep a kid like that in MN. He just did so with Royce and Rodney. Losing a battle for the #7 recruit, who's not even from this country, to UConn is hardly a disgrace. I know we have his brother, but that hardly makes it automatic or something Tubby should have to apologize for if he's not successful.
If Tubby fails to get him he should be fired because he's not worth his salary? Give me a break. Does it even matter if he wins this year? Or just that he failed to get a recruit you think we're 'entitled' to?

I never implied that Tubby should be fired if he can't get Joseph. I did state that if a PG is what stands between us having two years of Big Ten Championship caliber teams, he should be able to deliver a PG. That's why we got a marque coach and why he's paid like one. There are other PGs and even in the JUCO in ranks. Furthermore, I'm not complaining about putting up a facility in these times. I stated that he's likely to get one, and it'll be pretty gutsy for the admin and regents to build him it considering the climate. Proof that we are making the commitment to be major players in NCAA hoops.

Top Bottom