Cory Joseph talks recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ScoutHoops.com:

A few years ago Canadian Devoe Joseph was a heavy topic of conversation among college coaches, now it's his brother, Cory, that is getting the attention.

Since making the move from Canada to Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep, Cory Joseph has become a big topic of conversation among college coaches from coast to coast.
Having played his previous high school seasons in Canada, Joseph says he wasn't getting exposure during his high school season. Keep in mind, he made his mark on the summer circuit with Grassroots Canada, and now is backing up his play on one of the nation’s top teams.

“It’s been a huge difference,” Joseph said. “Since being down here we’ve had a lot of games on Wazoo Sports and we’ve had a lot of nationwide games. A lot more people have gotten to see our games and more coaches have come to see us play. In Canada there’s not a lot of exposure.”

Joseph, a four-star prospect, is getting college attention because he’s equipped with a good-looking shot from long range, has the quickness to break down defenders and can create for teammates.

And the attention for Joseph is mounting as Louisville, Minnesota, Memphis, Georgetown, Connecticut, Florida, Virginia Tech, Villanova, Kansas, Virginia, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas, UNLV, Marquette, Iowa State and California are all involved in his recruitment.

“It’s going great,” he said of his recruitment. “Since I came [to Findlay] I’ve started to blow up a lot more. It’s been a lot more exposure. It’s going to be great. I’m just trying to start looking at schools and hopefully I’ll take a few more visits.”

Joseph took recent trips to Louisville, Minnesota and Ohio State. He stopped by Louisville prior to participating in an event in Kentucky, while he went to OSU when they played against Minnesota.

“Louisville has great facilities and we got to watch them practice,” Joseph said. “Coach Rick Pitino is a great coach and coach Richard [Pitino] is a great guy. They are just great coaches.”

“I went to the Ohio State versus Minnesota game, so I got to watch my brother play. After the game I checked out the locker room and went around the gym and saw their facilities and weight room and had a brief talk with them. It was nice.”

Having his brother at Minnesota has to give them a slight advantage, but Joseph was quick to point out that he’ll be making the best decision for him.

“I like all the schools,” he said. “I’m just looking for the school that fits me best. It’s not just because my brother is there I want to go there. That’s an upside for them, but I’m looking at all the schools because whichever school fits me best is the one I should go to.”

Joseph certainly doesn’t have a shortage of options, but that doesn’t mean he’s in a rush to come up with a decision. He’s hoping to take a few more visits, before he considers making a commitment.

“I haven’t thought about it that much, but I’m starting to think about it more and more as the season has progressed,” Joseph said. “I have to go on some unofficials, take the SATs and hopefully go on some officials and then figure it out.”

Go Gophers!!

If he plays anything close to his brother, sign him up! This would be a nice get for the gophs and I suspect he will be bumped to a 4* in no time

Should be an easy sell for Tubby, since Devoe is already here.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe not. Seth Curry decided not to go to Davidson and ended up at Liberty as he chose not to follow his older brother's choice.

I'd say more often than not brothers do not attend the same school when they are that close in age.

I can come up with a lot more players that ended up going to different schools than following in their brother's footsteps.

I agree with SGL.

There is no such thing as an easy sell in recruiting a player of his caliber. Look over that list of schools again. It would be a tough road if he was a local kid.

As long as Devoe is happy here it should help, but it is far from a sure thing in my opinion.

Anyone who knows anything about college recruiting should know that it won't be easy. Certainly possible that Corey ends up here, but it won't be easy. There will be some big programs vying for his services. Sometimes it actually hurts if a prospective recruit has a brother in the program.

Anyone who knows anything about college recruiting should know that it won't be easy. Certainly possible that Corey ends up here, but it won't be easy. There will be some big programs vying for his services. Sometimes it actually hurts if a prospective recruit has a brother in the program.

There are a number of brother combo's that have played together in the ncaa.

Not sure why the majority of people think this is such a hard sell. Top notch coach, great school/city, brother having success as a fr.

Should be an easy get for Minn.

The point is there is never an easy sell. We aren't the only team in the country with a good coach. Although you bring up valid points, there are also plenty of scenerios that could cause him to want to go elsewhere. There have been plenty of brothers that play together, but there have also been plenty of brothers go different directions.

Corey is a point guard right? Anyone have his stats regarding height, etc.?

Should be an easy get for Minn.

There are no "easy" gets. Not with the programs that are interested in Corey.

And, while many brothers have played together, there are a number of younger brothers who have opted to not follow in big bro's footsteps, as well. As I mentioned, some brothers don't want to go to college with their older brothers. Some want to make a name for themselves on their own. Just off the top of my head, I can think of these younger brothers who went elsewhere:

Eli Manning
Marcus Landry
Nolan Brewster
Elijah Hodge
Lodrick/Rodrick Stewart (twins)

I'm sure there are countless other examples.

But, hey, you've got us all set up to tell us what a failure Tubby is should Corey opt to go to Louisville or UCLA.

Repeating - nothing is easy in recruiting. Nothing.

There are no "easy" gets. Not with the programs that are interested in Corey.

And, while many brothers have played together, there are a number of younger brothers who have opted to not follow in big bro's footsteps, as well. As I mentioned, some brothers don't want to go to college with their older brothers. Some want to make a name for themselves on their own. Just off the top of my head, I can think of these younger brothers who went elsewhere:

Eli Manning
Marcus Landry
Nolan Brewster
Elijah Hodge
Lodrick/Rodrick Stewart (twins)

I'm sure there are countless other examples.

But, hey, you've got us all set up to tell us what a failure Tubby is should Corey opt to go to Louisville or UCLA.
Repeating - nothing is easy in recruiting. Nothing.

On the contrary - you have us all set up with excuses why the kid will go elsewhere. Seal the deal, tubby!

Go Gophers!!

Having Devoe here really takes a lot out of Tubby's hands. If Cory really wants to play with his bro, then it should be easy. But a lot of brothers want to go elsewhere so they won't be overshadowed and they can make their own name. If that's the case, then Tubby is facing a very hard battle.

On the contrary - you have us all set up with excuses why the kid will go elsewhere. Seal the deal, tubby!

Go Gophers!!

You're so boring. With your stance, you don't have to give Tubby any credit if we get him, and you can tear into him if he doesn't. It's way too predictable. I guess creativity isn't very strong in the trolling community.

It would be really sweet if they could be as good as the Griffin twins from Oklahoma.

With your stance, you don't have to give Tubby any credit if we get him,

Before that you said:
Having Devoe here really takes a lot out of Tubby's hands.

Which is it?

If Devoe likes it here and if Cory wants to play with his brother, then he'll play here. Tubby can't do much either way other than hold a scholarship open.

And TJ, did any of those brothers play against each other? I'd imagine that having Devoe and Cory (who has Big Ten schools on his list) in the same conference at the same time would be the first competing brothers in the Big Ten in a while.

And TJ, did any of those brothers play against each other? I'd imagine that having Devoe and Cory (who has Big Ten schools on his list) in the same conference at the same time would be the first competing brothers in the Big Ten in a while.

Marcus and Carl Landry played against each other.

It would be really sweet if they could be as good as the Griffin twins from Oklahoma.

Texas' Griffins are not twins. The bigger, better of the two is a sophomore. I believe the other is a senior.

Before that you said:

Which is it?

What? Those two posts were unrelated. I think having Cory's attitude towards playing with his brother will have a big affect and that's something Tubby can't control.

The other post was directed towards TT. I was pointing out that his opinion is formulated to give him the best chance to flame Tubby and not give him any credit, because that seems to be his agenda on this board. Nowhere did I say getting Cory would be a sure thing.

Cory Joseph will probably be more heavily recruited than his brother.

And Devoe was recruited by the likes of Texas and Kansas.

What? Those two posts were unrelated. I think having Cory's attitude towards playing with his brother will have a big affect and that's something Tubby can't control.

The other post was directed towards TT. I was pointing out that his opinion is formulated to give him the best chance to flame Tubby and not give him any credit, because that seems to be his agenda on this board. Nowhere did I say getting Cory would be a sure thing.

The point is Big L - there should be nothing to flame. Get the kid to MN.

Lots of hedging going on on this thread.

There will be nothing to flame either way. If Cory wants to play with his brother, he'll come here. If he would prefer not to play with his brother, he'll go elsewhere. There are clearly several cases of players choosing to play with their brother and several cases of players choosing to play elsewhere. Sighting particular instances doesn't exactly clear up the situation.

There is no accounting for individual personalities. No one on this board appears to know Cory personally, so it's impossible to know how he'll handle this situation. I would rather be Minnesota in this situation than any other school, but that said, if he doesn't want to play with his brother than there isn't much that can be done.

FOT is probably right because cory is now in the states and getting the pub that his bro didnt. also not only is devoe here but we have been on cory for awhile since we were recruiting his brother. its not like cory just blew up.

BTW - what about the hansboros. tyler little bro started out at ole miss, i believe. but i dont think he was good enough to play at UNC so that may have been the problem

Some of it to will depend on the make up of the roster that the kid will have to compete for playing time in. Canada Sr had playing time and a good chance at a starting spot available. So while it was a great situation for the older, that doesn't equate to a great situation for the younger. So, really there is a lot more to the decision than his brother. And I think he alluded to it in the article, he's going to pick the school that is best for him. He also alluded to Minnesota being at an advantage because of his brother. If we really want to make guestimates we should really be talking about our other recruits and uppper classmen and chances of playing time. And i suppose style mesh if anyone actually knows.

Lots of hedging going on on this thread.
Not really. Just disagreement with your assertion it's "an easy sell" and "an easy get" zTTa. Too many folks here know your schtick from your past posts.

Nxet (as you were wont to write).

Not really. Just disagreement with your assertion it's "an easy sell" and "an easy get" zTTa. Too many folks here know your schtick from your past posts.

Nxet (as you were wont to write).

Why do you continue to pick away at me, snowman? No need to be a troll. If you dont like what I write, simply dont respond.

Why do you continue to pick away at me, snowman? No need to be a troll. If you dont like what I write, simply dont respond.
He's just saying that we all know who you are, just under a new moniker now, that's all.

Sometimes the best way to step out of an older brother's shadow is to actually play for the same team and just out-perform him. Let's hope this happens with Cory.

Top Bottom