Cory Joseph discusses recruiting, possibly playing with Devoe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from BuckeyeSports.com:

Since his arrival in the United States, junior Cory Joseph has emerged as one of the premier floor generals in the country. Ohio State, and several others are giving chase.

Ever since his arrival at Henderson (NV) Findlay Prep, Cory Joseph has emerged as one of the top point guard recruits in the class of 2010. Although he was known by some American programs and evaluators before making the move from Canada, his play at Findlay and with his summer team Grassroots Canada has really put the junior point guard on the map..

“With my high school we’ve been pretty much going nonstop. We do a lot of conditioning so I feel like I’m ready,” said Joseph. “The playing has helped me a lot too. We play every day and there’s more exposure than in Canada. We really go hard every day.”

A lead guard with excellent size, Joseph is also well known as a dangerous net stripper from beyond the three point line. This spring he’s showed off much improved explosiveness to the basket and it’s not surprising that many of the top programs in the nation are calling on him.

“I’m pretty open. There are a lot of schools reacuriting me right now,” said Joseph. “Louisville, Ohio State, UNLV, Memphis, Arkansas, Texas Tech, Texas and Texas A&M. It’s been all over the place and there’s a bunch more.”

According to Joseph, the Buckeyes have been a constant in his recruitment.

“I like them a lot and they say they love me. Coach Major has been recruiting me,” said Joseph of the Buckeyes. “I actually went there when Minnesota played there. I checked it out a bit and liked what I saw.”

Speaking of his brother, Minnesota freshman Devoe Joseph, the younger Joseph says that playing with him isn’t necessarily something that is a priority at this point.

“Sure everybody would like to play with their brother,” told Buckeye Sports. “I’m always open to what is best for me though.”

For now, Joseph is focusing on a strong run on the grassroots basketball circuit. He plans to narrow things down towards the end of the summer before taking visits and making a fall decision.

“I know that it’s going to be a lot harder hard and different in college,” said Joseph of looking ahead to college. “At home you are the man and get all the shots, but you get to college you have to switch. I’ve learned that you have to be ready for whatever.”

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=863043

Go Gophers!!

Wow.....we can forget even thinking about that kid playing here. I have a feeling the brothers do not have a very close relationship..

From that article, the chances of him coming here seem to be dwindling. Though if Barnes comes, I don't much care, and a guy like Barnes coming here may entice Cory too :)

Why would anyone expect.........

the Buckeye report to give any love to the Gophers. I agree he is a much tougher get since he moved to Vegas.....no everyone knows about him, but this article means nothing.

Too early to read too much into it... I doubt it was a coincidence that he visited OSU during a Minnesota game. Guessing the relationship is just fine.

If your primary competition for the younger Joseph is UofL ( a lot of UofL people feel that they are on the inside track FWIW) you might just be getting some good news soon that will throw a monkey wrench into his recruitment. Might be a good time for Tubby to put the full court press on.

Care to share?

What's out there is this: Rick jr. going to work for Billy D, the Sypher allegations /extortion attempt, the NBA rumors that have been swirling (Hawks GM job and now the Kings rumors), his people's involvement with Arizona (that did happen by the way) his noted absence at the Derby and his own Derby party.

What's not out there is what is happening internally at UofL. It's on total lockdown right now with Jurich and the inner circle. Local media is being force fed information. Everybody knows that UofL pretty much controls all the media outlets through itself and it's corporate partners. Jurich and co. have tremendous pull and wield a pretty big hammer in that town. That's why Sypher's story got squashed, that's why suspensions for on air personalities and the canceling of entire local radio programs happened when they questioned the "company line" from the UofL AD. The city needs UofL athletics and the success of the basketball and football teams are now inexplicably linked to the economic health of the city. The new arena deal, the planned expansion for PJCS are in jeopardy with underperformance and mass dissent with Kragthorpe and the circus that is slowly enveloping Pitino.

A month ago I said on this board that I'd be shocked if Pitino left for another job (like the Arizona deal) but he and his people are actively pursuing other "options" at this point and it looks like an exit strategy was/is in place for people like Richard and Rick himself.

Off topic but maybe related to the thread in someway. I want to ask people in the know. How are things going with Devoe right now? Does Tubby have a plan to develop him as a legit PG so that he can take over the position as a upperclassman? It is hard to imagine that Devoe does not welcome the opportunity to grow in the position, and I still think he will be able to develop into a viable starter as PG. Does anyone know?

Does Tubby have a plan to develop him as a legit PG so that he can take over the position as a upperclassman? It is hard to imagine that Devoe does not welcome the opportunity to grow in the position, and I still think he will be able to develop into a viable starter as PG. Does anyone know?

I don't think Tubby would have recruited Verdell Jones if his plan was to turn Joseph into a PG. If Jones committed to Minnesota, I don't think Joseph sees playing time at the point at all last season.

Tubby has already said that Devoe is playing out of position by playing the point. Cobb wouldn't be coming here if Devoe was going to be our point. Devoe is a 2 guard and from now on, he should be able to play his spot.

Thanks for the info, Plinnius and KyGopherFan.

Ky, do you know when Tubby said that Devoe was playing out of position? I am not questioning if he said it but when he said it, so that I can try to figure out a few things for my own amusement. I am not trying to argue how Devoe is to be positioned, either. Just want to figure out how all things fit together. Thanks once again for the reply.

Top Bottom