Corey Wootton

Gopher4life15

SKI-U-MAH!
Reaction score
Anyone else worried about Corey Wootton vs Wills . . . this is a really bad match up problem for us this week. :eek:

So far from what I can tell speed is the biggest problem for Wills, this match up scares me. Wootton is not only very powerful but also has very good speed and tremendous athleticism.

Maybe time for some FB help. a little hoese blocking action. Since we're going to throw anyway.

Wills Will Get Better When Weather Cools

I've noticed he's pretty solid for most of first half and by about mid 3rd quarter he looks like he may pass out at any time. The hot weather has not been his friend.

Wills versus anybody is a really bad matchup for us. He is in over his head. I hope he improves but I think we what we have seen is what we will get from him.

I've noticed he's pretty solid for most of first half and by about mid 3rd quarter he looks like he may pass out at any time. The hot weather has not been his friend.

Good observation Les. I'm also hoping he can get quicker by shedding a few more pounds, but I don't think we'll see much of that until next year.

injury

If he didn't get injured last year he would have been out of our hair. In everything I read about him he would have entered the draft and been drafted relatively high. Sorry I don't have links it is just something I read about him last year.

I haven't noticed him play well early in games. He was a nightmare in the first quarter vs Cal.

Drafted high? Anybody else ever here that 400+ pound Jeff Wills was a high draft choice prospect last spring?

I was thinking about him two weeks ago...

along with some of the other great defensive linemen in the Big Ten. Jeff Wills made a bunch of undersized AFA defenders look great, how is he going to fare in the conference?

Here comes his first taste of the Big Ten
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/waZuFK_pxjA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/waZuFK_pxjA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Anyone else worried about Corey Wootton vs Wills . . . this is a really bad match up problem for us this week. :eek:

Yes I am worried. I am hoping the coaching staff will have some ideas on how to neutralize that threat.

Just a thought here. I wonder if the coaching staff has considered moving Alford to RT once Stommes is healthy. I know that some of the offensive lines worries will go away as they gel, but if they don't, I wonder if we will see some tweaking.

were gonna need alot of OT + FB blocks to keep him off Weber or even bring in a TE to help...because lets face it one on one its not even a contest wootton is gonna take him to school.

Doesn't anybody realize that Wootton hasn't fully recovered from the ACL that he tore in January and has been completely ineffective this year?

What's with Wootton?

if you're the type that only notices OL when they do something bad like get burned around the edge or something great like pulling and flattening an LB and a FS, than yea, Wills sucks. However if you actually watch the line the whole game then you'll realize that he's actually ok. He struggles with speed guys but is no where near as bad as some think. A major problem is that our RBs, particularly Eskridge, aren't very good at chipping those DE's or blitzing LBs. Also Hoese hasn't done a good job of kicking out the end on those off tackle plays. The real problem has been that our center and LG are getting blown up on a regular basis which means teams don't have to respect our ability to run to the left so they overload the right side. Wills isn't great but he's ok and when he's 30 lbs lighter he may be pretty good.

if you're the type that only notices OL when they do something bad like get burned around the edge or something great like pulling and flattening an LB and a FS, than yea, Wills sucks. However if you actually watch the line the whole game then you'll realize that he's actually ok. He struggles with speed guys but is no where near as bad as some think. A major problem is that our RBs, particularly Eskridge, aren't very good at chipping those DE's or blitzing LBs. Also Hoese hasn't done a good job of kicking out the end on those off tackle plays. The real problem has been that our center and LG are getting blown up on a regular basis which means teams don't have to respect our ability to run to the left so they overload the right side. Wills isn't great but he's ok and when he's 30 lbs lighter he may be pretty good.

Well I guess we could add missing holes to this conversation.

I am thinking that a little more time may fix some of these things. IMO the next three games will determine whether or not the line (and RB's reading what is given to them) gel and bond.

I have a lot of respect for Wootton but if people haven't watched Northwestern yet this year, Wootton does not look like the same dominant force that he was last year. He is a great player and I hope he gets back up to his normal speed the weak after we play them but at this point he is showing some lingering effects from the knee injury.

wills would have trouble with a good HS d lineman. i am not impressed with him at all. when stommes gets back i think they should try alford at RT maybe. if wills is all we got then i am scared about what is going to happen in the big ten.

Stommes at RT

I think Stommes will be your starting RT before too much longer. That could begin as early as this Saturday.

You, sir, are like the only smart guy on this thread. I was a former right tackle for a certain Gopher football team (wont say what year) and Wills definitely isn't bad. You guys are expecting him to be Orlando Pace in his third D1 game. I watch every gopher game play by play and yes he did have some bad plays but he definitely doesn't deserve losing his starting spot. I dare you all watch play by play and i'll be you 100 bucks that Wills 90% good plays. It's the 10% that really stand out though.

Top Bottom