Corey Hetherman is hitting his stride as Gophers defensive coordinator

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Tony:

Minnesota and Hetherman will face a big step up in competition from Nevada and Rhode Island this week against Iowa. It's fair to believe that the defensive unit as a whole has made significant improvements since Week 1, but Saturday night will be their first chance to prove it on a big stage.

Go Gophers!!

Per Tony:

Minnesota and Hetherman will face a big step up in competition from Nevada and Rhode Island this week against Iowa. It's fair to believe that the defensive unit as a whole has made significant improvements since Week 1, but Saturday night will be their first chance to prove it on a big stage.

Go Gophers!!
Love the attacking vs semi-prevent style. Fleck uncovered a gem with this guy. I'm guessing that the best is yet to come as he develops some of the great young talent.

I don't think this is a huge surprise if you really looked at Hetherman's background before the season started. Here are James Madison’s defensive rankings under Hetherman: (2021): 7th in scoring, 8th in yards, 1st in turnovers, 8th in sacks. (2020): 8th in scoring, 5th in yards, 21st in turnovers, 13th in sacks. (2019): 3rd in scoring, 1st in yards, 11th in turnovers, 2nd in sacks. All three years his defenses were Top 10 in the FCS (Actually finished first in 2019) FYI... his Maine DEF stats are very good as well as the DC.

A note that nobody seems to pay attention to with Cignetti at IU is that Corey was his DC his first three years at JMU and set a big piece of the foundation for Cignetti and his success at JMU and his record he likes to flaunt. Just a note: After watching several press conferences and interviews I've decided to get the jump on my dislike for Cignetti. He is a complete Richard with a Capital "D". I will cheer for anyone who crushes IU even NEB and that takes a lot.

Last edited:

Our DC’s old boss, Cignetti, will quickly earn a spot on the Mt. Rushmore of college HC a$$holz.

Top Bottom