Cool your jets

jfb07

Reaction score
first time poster. long time lurker. season tix for 30+ yrs. Give coach Brewster this and at least one more year. Consider the positives. increasing graduation rates. improved academic performance. Up to now visiting recruits are impressed with the current players, TCF stadium and the coaching staff.There is a fine line between winning and losing. The fire Brewster crowd are damaging the efforts of the coaching staff and administration. The fire Brewster efforts are misdirected. Patience, folks.

first time poster. long time lurker. season tix for 30+ yrs. Give coach Brewster this and at least one more year. Consider the positives. increasing graduation rates. improved academic performance. Up to now visiting recruits are impressed with the current players, TCF stadium and the coaching staff.There is a fine line between winning and losing. The fire Brewster crowd are damaging the efforts of the coaching staff and administration. The fire Brewster efforts are misdirected. Patience, folks.

Of all your positives, you didn't list one thing related to coaching ability/team performance

8-12 record to start his coaching career. 7-17 record since.

Sorry.

Welcome to the board

There are so many negatives to list about Brewster but my major ones are; He plays up to his opponents, and he doesn't have control of this team. Instead of benching Wilhite, he takes his back which is ridiculous.

Of all your positives, you didn't list one thing related to coaching ability/team performance

8-12 record to start his coaching career. 7-17 record since.

Sorry.

Welcome to the board

you also did not mention the fact that the record above has caused mass exodus from the brand new on campus stadium that would be filled to the gills with a moderately better team

As I said in another thread similar to yours. You have got to be kidding me! Every coach that has come in here I have wanted them to succeed and supported them, and I have said in the past that Brew needs 5 yrs. to see what he can do. But, after the start they have had this year going 0-4 at home and losing to SD, that's what did it for me. I'm sorry I can't be more positive but the reality is he is taking us nowhere at this point and I don't see any signs that it will change before the end of the season. This is year 4 and what progress are we seeing at this point? I could accept this in the 1st yr or even the 2nd, but the 4th no way!!

I think your heart is in the right place and we all want the Gophers to be successful. Brewster has made a lot of mistakes such as changing the offense every year and not having loyal coordinators who want to stick around and implement his offense and defense. He is still "learning to coach" and that one is on Maturi. The blame has to go onto him for hiring a guy who did not know what he was doing and was simply not ready to coach a D-1 football team.

We have been patient -- this is year four now and we will probably go 1-11, maybe 2-10 if we get lucky and upset someone. You can get by with that type of record in year one (and he did!!) After only one year people can blame the previous coach and say we need to be patient as the new coach recruits "his" guys for "his" system. By year four you need to see some type of improvement and I do not see this at all. The offense looks better than it has the last few years but I would still take Mason's offense over this. That offense was a pretty damn good one. The defense though still looks as bad as ever.

There is no D-1 college team's fanbase that would be this forgiving to a coach four years in with this type of record to show for it. I think you could give him another year, but what's the point?? His recruiting will undoubtedly suffer as the recruits lose faith. I think Maturi has to realize he made a monumental mistake and pull the plug. With Mason, we knew there worse coaches out there but we hoped to get the guy to take us to the next level. With Brewster though, I will take my chances - I think our chances are extremely good that we can do a lot better.

This post has literally been copied and pasted every year since Brewster took over. We hear the same BS every year from delusional fans with their head stuck in the sand. patience....patience....patience...patience.....How much longer?

Recruits impressed? Why do the best MN high school players leave the state year after year?

When graduation rates and academic performance are part of the BCS formula or show up in the conference standings - please let me know. Until then BFD.

I like most everything about Brewster, except his ability to coach. He's gotta go.

When graduation rates and academic performance are part of the BCS formula or show up in the conference standings - please let me know. Until then BFD.

It is a BFD. The U of M is an academic institution in the Big Ten, not the SEC. I expect that graduation rates in the football program will mirror those of the student population as a whole but this is a baseline standard, which is to say you get no extra points for 100% graduation IMO.

I want to be patient with Brewster, but that's mostly because I don't want to start the whole process all over again with another coach. The high point of Brewster's tenure here has been the first seven games of the 2008 season. I don't know that I could say the team has shown a whole lot of improvement since then. The defense was pretty damn good last year, but has been putrid this year.

I also don't think all the blame for Brewster's inexperience and learning curve rests entirely with Maturi (although I think the vast majority of the blame does). In my search for a new job I frequently come across jobs where I say "nope, not qualified for that one." Brewster shares some of the guilt for his lack of experience.

In my search for a new job I frequently come across jobs where I say "nope, not qualified for that one." Brewster shares some of the guilt for his lack of experience.

I think the other problem Brewster had is he thought he was interviewing to be a fireman and then after he got the job, he decided he'd rather be a policeman. He just didn't have a consistent idea of who he was and who he wanted to be as a coach. Hence, the changing of styles and coordinators.

It is a BFD. The U of M is an academic institution in the Big Ten, not the SEC. I expect that graduation rates in the football program will mirror those of the student population as a whole but this is a baseline standard, which is to say you get no extra points for 100% graduation IMO.

BFD you say? That's why the football and basketball teams are dead last in the B10.....

I think the other problem Brewster had is he thought he was interviewing to be a fireman and then after he got the job, he decided he'd rather be a policeman. He just didn't have a consistent idea of who he was and who he wanted to be as a coach. Hence, the changing of styles and coordinators.

Why is this all bad? One needs to be able to adapt and change. I feel strongly that we now have the correct offensive philosophy to win consistently in the B10. I agree that we need continuity in the coaching staff once the right scheme is implemented.

Why is this all bad? One needs to be able to adapt and change. I feel strongly that we now have the correct offensive philosophy to win consistently in the B10. I agree that we need continuity in the coaching staff once the right scheme is implemented.

Well, I would say that it takes considerable time to implement a new offense or defense. It takes a while to learn and it takes a while to recruit kids who are the perfect fit for it. That is why when you get a new coach you usually take a step backwards as you implement the new system.

With Brewster, changing around every year really hurt - we were in a constant state of flux each year. It also makes it look like he does not have a clue what he wants to do or what he is doing.

I'm with you jfb, let Brewster's recruits mature and we'll see what happens next year. Why the big rush to get rid of Brewster? It's been 40 some years since this team has been on top, what's 1 more year in the big picture? I think some folks realize the talented players on this roster will soon come into their own and they want Brewster out before that happens. It would kill some people to admit they were wrong about Brew. I remember when Tom Kelly's inexperienced Twins teams would get crushed, but eventually they matured into WS Champs.

Well, I would say that it takes considerable time to implement a new offense or defense. It takes a while to learn and it takes a while to recruit kids who are the perfect fit for it. That is why when you get a new coach you usually take a step backwards as you implement the new system.

With Brewster, changing around every year really hurt - we were in a constant state of flux each year. It also makes it look like he does not have a clue what he wants to do or what he is doing.

I should clarify. I agree that continuity is needed in regard to staff and scheme. My point was Brew realized he had in wrong at the start with the spread and made the right decision to change the offensive philosophy. Although it set the offense back a year, it needed to be done. Any changes going forward would be problematic.

I would have to say our record and Brewster abilty to coach are damaging their efforts, but your right there is a fine line between winning and losing unfortunatly we are no where near that line

I'm with you jfb, let Brewster's recruits mature and we'll see what happens next year. Why the big rush to get rid of Brewster? It's been 40 some years since this team has been on top, what's 1 more year in the big picture? I think some folks realize the talented players on this roster will soon come into their own and they want Brewster out before that happens. It would kill some people to admit they were wrong about Brew. I remember when Tom Kelly's inexperienced Twins teams would get crushed, but eventually they matured into WS Champs.

Good take. I agree.

Why can't we get lined up before the ball is snapped?

Question #2928234.

The difference between the Twins and the Gophers is his players only have 4 years to become players and so far is first class hasn't shown much and time is running out for them. I like Brewster I think he has good intentions but the man is simply put in way over his head and is just not a Head Coach. In my opinion one more season is just one more year from having a team capable of winning.

OK, let's use the Twins team as an example:
1981 41-68
1982 60-102
1983 70-92
1984 81-81
1985 77-85
1986 71-91 (Tom Kelly came in toward the end of the year)
1987 85-77
1988 91-71

......here is why I have more faith in Tom Kelly than Tim Brewster. Kelly took a team that won only 71 games in 1986, improved to 85 the next year, winning the World Series, then won 91 the next year. This would be comparable to Tim Brewster taking a team that was really down and improving each year and winning the Rose Bowl in just a few years. Actually Kelly won the World Series in his first full season!!! I put the records from 1981 on as this was the start of the Hrbek era, but it should be noted that the Twins had Johnny Goryl as their manager who was fired for Billy Gardner, who was fired in 1985, replaced by Ray Miller who was fired in 1986 and replaced by Tom Kelly. So yeah, the Twins DID fire quite a few managers through this time frame before they got the right guy.

With that said, I don't like firing guys, but when you have the wrong guy who doesn't know what he is doing and 4 years in you are looking at 1-11 again, you have got to pull the plug.

I think you need refresher on Twins history, specifically TK's managing tenure.

I still don't think he knows what he wants to be as a head coach. As they said about George H.W. Bush, he lacks the "vision" thing. I think a little adapting is good, but it has to be done off a solid base.

It's hard to be patient when various administrations have wasted 12 years on coaches who had losing records before coming here (Stoll, Wacker) and 16 years on coaches with no Div. 1A head coaching experience (Salem, Gutekunst, Brewster). That's a total of 28 years of patience!

I'm all for patience. But the man can't coach. Period. He couldn't coach when he arrived here, and he hasn't gotten noticably better in almost 4 years. If he were the world's greatest recruiter, or had hired really good assistants, he might have been able to over-come this. But he's at best an above-average recruiter and has done a terrible job of hiring assistants. Therefore, he's basically a hopeless mess. He needs to go. It should have been done last season, as all of these things were fairly obvious then. But it is now an absolute no-brainer. If Bruinicks and Maturi fail to do so, TCF will be a morgue next year, and Gopher football will be relagated to T-Wolves status with me.

Top Bottom