Cooking with Unique Spices

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
I'm a budding semi not-bad amateur chef and received an article today on one of my recipe emails regarding cooking with saffron. I'm wondering if anyone on here has used it before and their thoughts, experiences on it or any other unique spices (that I'd have to order online or buy at a specialty foods store). Also, any places online you order etc...

Thought this would be a fun winter project.

Thanks.

I use saffron for various things. One tip is break up the threads into smaller pieces and put it in a little bit of water for a few minutes before adding it. That helps diffuse the flavor.

It goes well with dairy such as cream sauce. Also a bit part of Moroccan dishes if you ever decide to explore that. If you do go with Moroccan you'll get to explore Ras Al Hanout. It's a great sweet/spicy blend with a lot of variations. I've started using it for various things such as on eggs or on game birds that I get hunting.

I use saffron for various things. One tip is break up the threads into smaller pieces and put it in a little bit of water for a few minutes before adding it. That helps diffuse the flavor.

It goes well with dairy such as cream sauce. Also a bit part of Moroccan dishes if you ever decide to explore that. If you do go with Moroccan you'll get to explore Ras Al Hanout. It's a great sweet/spicy blend with a lot of variations. I've started using it for various things such as on eggs or on game birds that I get hunting.

Thanks.

I'm actually enjoying my cooking journey more than I thought I would.

I put garlic powder in pretty much everything. Does that count?

What's the difference? Powder seems easier to mix into my scrambled eggs.

Definitely a difference, I have used both. I typically only use a garlic salt on grilling burgers (a tip I got from the cook at some random diner I stopped at in Idaho at the end of an elk hunt). I've used powder in lieu of salt and don't think it's the same. Can't quite tell you WHY it's different, but at least on a burger, and I would think on your scrambled eggs, I would be going with garlic salt rather than powder.

I try to avoid adding extra salt wherever possible as there is so much of it in processed food.

Minced garlic from a clove is stronger tasting to me and works best in sauces/soups etc...where it can dissolve in my experience.

Between garlic salt & garlic powder, I guess I just grab whichever I see first on the shelf. Garlic salt/powder is my substitute to traditional salt on things like eggs & burgers. Yeah, we use fresh garlic in things like sauces & marinating steak.

You guys got me interested, so I had to look it up.

The major difference is that garlic salt is a mixture of garlic powder and salt. That's right, if you've been shaking table salt into your food items after using garlic salt, you were just diluting the garlic flavor with more salt. In fact, most commercial garlic salt mixes are 1 part garlic powder to 3 parts salt.

The major difference is that garlic salt is a mixture of garlic powder and salt. That's right, if you've been shaking table salt into your food items after using garlic salt, you were just diluting the garlic flavor with more salt. In fact, most commercial garlic salt mixes are 1 part garlic powder to 3 parts salt.

Thanks Dr. Zaius, you are wise as always.

Ha! I should have stuck to my guns on the salt vs. powder debate.

If you're really into Saffron as a spice, Saffron from different parts of the world tastes very different, just like honey from say Northern India is very different than honey from Chennai and very different than honey from Minnesota. If you can find Saffron from Greece, go with that. And also, Saffron is MUCH cheaper overseas.

Ha! I should have stuck to my guns on the salt vs. powder debate.

I actually like my garlic press and jarred garlic but this is still a fantastic quote from Anthony Bourdain.

“Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please treat your garlic with respect. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas; don't burn it. Smash it, with the flat of your knife blade if you like, but don't put it through a press. I don't know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain't garlic. And try roasting garlic. It gets mellower and sweeter if you roast it whole, still on the clove, to be squeezed out later when it's soft and brown. Nothing will permeate your food more irrevocably and irreparably than burnt or rancid garlic. Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screw-top jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic.”

Top Bottom