Connie Yori announces retirement

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

One time Husker head coach (14 seasons), Connie Yori, announced her retirement from her advisory position with Creighton.

Omaha, Neb. -- After better than 36 seasons as a coach (26 as head coach), Connie Yori announced her official retirement prior to the start of the 2024-25 season at Creighton.

Yori began her women's basketball journey as a player for Creighton from 1982-86. One of Bluejays' greatest players on the court, she was inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame inductee in 1992, Yori is one of just two Creighton players to have their number hang in the rafters of D.J. Sokol Arena. She graduated in 1986 as Creighton's leading scorer with 2,010 points, a number that still ranks third all-time. She also remains in the Bluejays' top-10 in scoring average (1st -20.3 ppg), rebounding (8th - 746), assists (7th - 399), steals (2nd - 292), field goals made (2nd - 797), field goal percentage (5th - 54.2) and free throws made (2nd - 416).

"We're really grateful that Connie took the opportunity to return and help our program. From the time she arrived on campus as a student to today, her impact on Creighton is as great or more so than any other person," said Creighton head coach Jim Flanery. "She has been and will continue to be a dear friend and mentor. We are so very happy to have had Connie at Creighton for the last seven seasons to positively impact our staff and our team. We wish her the best in retirement and know that she'll still be around some as she loves Creighton and this program."

"Creighton Women's basketball is one of the most respected basketball programs in the country. Returning to my alma mater to end my career to work with an incredible group of student-athletes and staff the past seven years has been a tremendous honor," noted Yori. "I want to thank Coach Flanery for finding a role that enabled me to contribute in a small way and allowed me the flexibility to prioritize being a mother. Flan and I have been friends for 40 years and finishing my career at Creighton could not have been more enjoyable."

Beyond her storied coaching career, Yori's coaching career began immediately after her playing career concluded, serving as Creighton's assistant coach from 1986-89. Her first coaching career brought Yori to Loras College (1990-92), followed by a decade leading Creighton (1992-2002), 14 seasons at Nebraska (2002-16) and finally the last seven seasons as a program advisor for the Bluejays.

One the most decorated women's basketball coaches in the country, Yori compiled a record of 475-306 during her head coaching career, including a 170-115 mark at the helm for the Bluejays. Yori guided nine squads to the NCAA Tournament, including runs to the Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2013. The 2010 National Coach of the Year (Kay Yow, Associated Press, USBWA and Naismith), Yori led her team to a 29-0 regular season record. She also collected Coach of the Year honors in the Missouri Valley (2002), the Big 12 (2010) and the Big Ten (2013 & 2014).

When you factor in another four NCAA Appearances while she was the Bluejay Program Advisor, Yori was a part of 13 NCAA Tournament runs, reaching the Elite Eight during the 2021-22 season. She contributed to 655 victories as a coach and 76 more as a player.

Top Bottom