Conference Realignment Updates

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Couldn't find the original Conference realignment thread.

for what it's worth, I'm hearing some rumblings from various online types, podcasters and You Tube people that there might be developments in the ACC saga in July.

IF FSU, Clemson or other ACC schools are somehow able to break free, the big question remains where they would end up. there are differing reports/opinions on whether the B1G would take 2 more teams, or whether schools like FSU would meet the B1G's academic requirements. but, it's something to think about while we wait for Fall practice to begin.

a quick recap:

As of May 2024, the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and Florida State University (FSU) and Clemson University are involved in multiple lawsuits over a grant of rights agreement that keeps ACC schools in a TV contract through 2036:
  • FSU vs ACC
    FSU filed a lawsuit in Florida state court to prevent the ACC from leaving the conference. The ACC countersued in North Carolina court, arguing that FSU's acceptance of revenue payments under the agreement for years prevents it from challenging the validity of the withdrawal fee, which is around $572 million. The core issue of the lawsuit is whether the exit fees are so high that they are illegally anti-competitive or unconscionable.
  • Clemson vs ACC
    Clemson filed a lawsuit in South Carolina state court on March 19, 2024, echoing FSU's claims. Clemson is seeking a declaration from the court that the ACC does not own the right to produce and distribute Clemson games if it leaves the conference. The ACC countersued in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, arguing that it owns Clemson's media rights until 2036, even if Clemson leaves the conference.

I think the Big ten would go to bat for UNC if they were on the market. If the whole ACC was imploding I'd imagine another run at ND and basically provide a life boat for all of their sports with the caveat that football comes with.

That would put you at 20. Since we're already there I actually think 24 makes scheduling easier (4 divisions of 6) so *maybe* you provide a lifeboat to Stanford and Cal to make a 6 team West Coast division and then you try to pick up 2 more ACC teams to fill out an east coast division with Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland and UNC.

Put MN, Iowa, Wis, Neb, Illinois, and Northwestern in a Great Plains division and OSU, Mich, Mich State, Indiana, Purdue, and ND in a Great Lakes division.

Couldn't find the original Conference realignment thread.

for what it's worth, I'm hearing some rumblings from various online types, podcasters and You Tube people that there might be developments in the ACC saga in July.

IF FSU, Clemson or other ACC schools are somehow able to break free, the big question remains where they would end up. there are differing reports/opinions on whether the B1G would take 2 more teams, or whether schools like FSU would meet the B1G's academic requirements. but, it's something to think about while we wait for Fall practice to begin.

a quick recap:

As of May 2024, the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and Florida State University (FSU) and Clemson University are involved in multiple lawsuits over a grant of rights agreement that keeps ACC schools in a TV contract through 2036:
  • FSU vs ACC
    FSU filed a lawsuit in Florida state court to prevent the ACC from leaving the conference. The ACC countersued in North Carolina court, arguing that FSU's acceptance of revenue payments under the agreement for years prevents it from challenging the validity of the withdrawal fee, which is around $572 million. The core issue of the lawsuit is whether the exit fees are so high that they are illegally anti-competitive or unconscionable.
  • Clemson vs ACC
    Clemson filed a lawsuit in South Carolina state court on March 19, 2024, echoing FSU's claims. Clemson is seeking a declaration from the court that the ACC does not own the right to produce and distribute Clemson games if it leaves the conference. The ACC countersued in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, arguing that it owns Clemson's media rights until 2036, even if Clemson leaves the conference.

Gettin’ pretty silly.

Maybe, just spitballing here guys ( directed at FSU and Clemson) it’s better to take a year or two or three and realllly think things over before doing something really stupid like signing a TWENTY YEAR contract, or signing away future revenue growth to vultures to escape a current contract. Maybe better to remain a big fish in a small pond. Guaranteed playoff berth, fan engagement. SEC… yeah you might suffer.

Maybe just suck it up, pay what you promised to, finish up this idiotic contract without jumping into something worse.

I think the Big ten would go to bat for UNC if they were on the market. If the whole ACC was imploding I'd imagine another run at ND and basically provide a life boat for all of their sports with the caveat that football comes with.

That would put you at 20. Since we're already there I actually think 24 makes scheduling easier (4 divisions of 6) so *maybe* you provide a lifeboat to Stanford and Cal to make a 6 team West Coast division and then you try to pick up 2 more ACC teams to fill out an east coast division with Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland and UNC.

Put MN, Iowa, Wis, Neb, Illinois, and Northwestern in a Great Plains division and OSU, Mich, Mich State, Indiana, Purdue, and ND in a Great Lakes division.
Heard someone say the reason NC legislature got involved is that they won't let UNC go to B1G. similar in VA where they have now tied UVA to VA Tech.

I would love to have FSU and Clemson in the B1G. Just makes our already #1 brand and conference that much better over the SEC.

Plus how awesome would the games be at the bank with FSU, USC, Oregon coming to town. Makes for better football than university of Phoenix type teams

I would love to have FSU and Clemson in the B1G. Just makes our already #1 brand and conference that much better over the SEC.

Plus how awesome would the games be at the bank with FSU, USC, Oregon coming to town. Makes for better football than university of Phoenix type teams
Are you suggesting fewer non-con games? Because otherwise adding Clemson and FSU would just mean playing the traditional Big Ten teams less (and I wouldn't consider any of them to be U of PHX type teams).

Are you suggesting fewer non-con games? Because otherwise adding Clemson and FSU would just mean playing the traditional Big Ten teams less (and I wouldn't consider any of them to be U of PHX type teams).
Yes, of course I mean fewer non conf games. With adding them, add one cupcake non conf to get jitters out and go straight into real games.

I don't think either really fits within the B1G, and both have multiple rivalries with sec teams.

I don't think either really fits within the B1G, and both have multiple rivalries with sec teams.
B1G left the whole regional fit with addition of west coast and east coast teams. Clemson and FSU bring major value into the southern markets in the heart of SEC country.

SEC I think would not want FSU due to Florida but would take Miami for the market. South Carolina would want Clemson in the SEC either.

If universities begin paying players as employees, SEC wouldn’t make the money B1G does annually to keep up like they don’t already in yearly income

B1G left the whole regional fit with addition of west coast and east coast teams. Clemson and FSU bring major value into the southern markets in the heart of SEC country.

SEC I think would not want FSU due to Florida but would take Miami for the market. South Carolina would want Clemson in the SEC either.

If universities begin paying players as employees, SEC wouldn’t make the money B1G does annually to keep up like they don’t already in yearly income
I don't think either fit in multiple ways within the B1G, sports and overall.

With realignment traditional high win teams and conference champions or podium finishers will likely be winning less and finishing mid-pack. Has anyone calculated the cumulative costs of coaching churn- buyouts, searches, legal - at FSU and Clemson over the next 20 years. Check with Nebraska? How much, in addition to the $$$ private capital revenue loss, will that cancel revenue gains from P2 TV.

Small conferences/divisions are good for the game. Not this bull****.

Top Bottom