Conf. title game needed anymore?

golf

Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been discussed, but with the decision that the 5 byes will go to conference champs, is a conference title game even needed anymore?

How much motivation will the conference champs have to win the title game? They already have a bye.

The conference runner up will likely already be in as well.

I suppose seeding could be affected by the title games. To me title games seem superfluous at this point.

No doubt there will be 3rd place teams that make the tourney. Could easily make an argument that it is better to finish 3rd in the conference than 2nd.

My apologies if this has already been discussed, but with the decision that the 5 byes will go to conference champs, is a conference title game even needed anymore?

How much motivation will the conference champs have to win the title game? They already have a bye.

I suppose seeding could be affected by the title games. To me title games seem superfluous at this point.
If the Regular Season #1 Seed loses in the Big 10 Title Game, then they won't be Conference Champs and subsequently will not receive a Bye, thus they will have motivation to WIN in Indianapolis.

Last edited:

No doubt there will be 3rd place teams that make the tourney. Could easily make an argument that it is better to finish 3rd in the conference than 2nd.
A very bad argument, but sure, you could make one.

I think there is a plausible case in a certain situation it would be better to be 3rd. Say the Big 10 Regular Season #1 Seed is 12-0 and then there is a 2way tie for Runner-Up at 10-2.

At 10-2, likely both teams would get in the College Football Playoff, but if the team that gets the Big 10 #2 Seed then subsequently loses to the #1 seed and reduces them to 10-3 they might not even get in the CFP.

Even if they do still get in, the team that did not play in the Title Game gets a Bye with more time to rest and prepare.

The conference champ, and bye that comes with it, will be decided by the winner of the title game.

That is not correct. They are intentionally trying to place more value on the regular season, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

That is not correct. They are intentionally trying to place more value on the regular season, which is a good thing.
Haha but it is correct. The winner of the Big Ten Championship game will be the official champion and receive the automatic bye.

I'm having trouble finding verifiable information on how the two teams will be selected for the B1G championship game, other than "the two top teams in the conference at the end of the regular season".

I assume there are contingencies in place if more than two teams have the same won-lost record, but I can't find an explanation as to what those tie-breakers may be.

(This is after 5 grueling minutes of extensive research).

And it's all about the money, so the answer is "yes".
Would be curious how much money that one game is worth. Same tv contract with no conference title game? How much less per school. I would guess 1-2 million per but I have no idea

Would be curious how much money that one game is worth. Same tv contract with no conference title game? How much less per school. I would guess 1-2 million per but I have no idea
Not much in the grand scheme of things for the overall budget, but enough to fund the Rowing Team annually, or pay the Def Coordinator.

Not much in the grand scheme of things for the overall budget, but enough to fund the Rowing Team annually, or pay the Def Coordinator.
Depends on which school. I doubt it is enough to pay the top coordinator at half the big ten schools.

Depends on which school. I doubt it is enough to pay the top coordinator at half the big ten schools.
It would have to be closer to the $2M figure you surmised to even approach half the Big 10 D-Coords, no doubt.

It would have to be closer to the $2M figure you surmised to even approach half the Big 10 D-Coords, no doubt.
Not sure how much it is. But back when Nebraska was added the payouts increased in a way that made me think the big ten title game was worth in the 20-25 million range in 2012 or whenever they were added. I imagine it’s worth more now but not sure how much more.

Advertising would generate $40-45 million since it is now a nationwide conference. I imagine more ad revenue would be generated for a championship game of Michigan vs USC or PSU vs The Nike Quackers than Indiana vs Rutgers or Purdue vs Michigan State.

It's all terrible - every part of it, from poaching the best teams from other conferences, to having a fan-killing 18 team conference with no divisions, to the 12 team playoff debacle, to the NIL outrages, to the easy transfer rules. It's all anarchy. The only hope is a strong effective administration of discipline and common sense and fairness, even if it has to come from the federal government.

Advertising would generate $40-45 million since it is now a nationwide conference. I imagine more ad revenue would be generated for a championship game of Michigan vs USC or PSU vs The Nike Quackers than Indiana vs Rutgers or Purdue vs Michigan State.
Yeah but the fluctuations don’t go to the conference. If they didn’t have a TV contract the media deal would simply be smaller.
If this was 40 million that’s 2.2 million per school for the game. Probably more because some teams don’t have full media distributions yet

The possibility of an Ohio State vs USC title game probably does drive up the value of the game in the tv deal though

With unbalanced schedules and no divisions, nothing really makes sense. In an 18 team conference where you only play 9 other teams, crowning a champ is just for advertising. There's no logic to it anymore.

With unbalanced schedules and no divisions, nothing really makes sense. In an 18 team conference where you only play 9 other teams, crowning a champ is just for advertising. There's no logic to it anymore.
I don’t have the number anymore and I can’t find the original place I found it, but there are over 100 scenarios with 3 or 4 way ties this year where none of the 3 or 4 teams played each other in the regular season…the big ten still hasn’t released tiebreakers

Basically the committee now can tell an unbeaten Minnesota or Iowa that they don’t qualify for the conference title game (is what I assume will break that kind of tie)

Yeah but the fluctuations don’t go to the conference. If they didn’t have a TV contract the media deal would simply be smaller.
If this was 40 million that’s 2.2 million per school for the game. Probably more because some teams don’t have full media distributions yet

The possibility of an Ohio State vs USC title game probably does drive up the value of the game in the tv deal though
The fluctuations are what the networks count on. It's their profit margin. The networks offer to buy the broadcast rights for $X, then sell advertising to generate their income, $Y. $Y less $X = network profit.

The fluctuations are what the networks count on. It's their profit margin. The networks offer to buy the broadcast rights for $X, then sell advertising to generate their income, $Y. $Y less $X = network profit.
Yup

Top Bottom