Complete Albums

Yeah, I meant theme as in style or feel -- group of songs that fit well together. Blackbird followed by Piggies is just too disjointed for me.
Much like the year of 1968.

Yeah, I meant theme as in style or feel -- group of songs that fit well together. Blackbird followed by Piggies is just too disjointed for me.
Rubber Soul? I understand the dismissal of Revolver as a complete album, due to its inclusion of Yellow Submarine, but I don't see a clunker amongst the offerings on Rubber Soul.

The Beatles - Revolver
Prince - Sign O the Times
U2 - Achtung Baby

Rubber Soul? I understand the dismissal of Revolver as a complete album, due to its inclusion of Yellow Submarine, but I don't see a clunker amongst the offerings on Rubber Soul.

I tend to throw just a slight amount of shade on Rubber Soul for Michelle and Girl. I would not call those clunkers, but low on my list of Beatles songs.

My comment to the flea market vendor was to include Breakfast in America among great albums, not to exclude Rubber Soul.

Regarding the Beatles - the 'disjointed' quality of the later albums reflects the divisions in the group. A Lennon song followed by a McCartney song can seem jarring because they are so tonally different. Harrison's songs are also unique to him. so not surprising that a group with multiple songwriters would reflect different influences and moods.

Like the Clash - you can tell a Joe Strummer song from a Mick Jones song very easily based on the musical and lyrical choices.

More:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Pearl Jam - 10
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Fear
Pete Yorn - Music for the Morning After
Semisonic - Great Divide
Chris Isaak - Forever Blue
Coldplay - Parachutes
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Kacey Musgraves - Same Trailer, Different Park
Prince - Purple Rain
The Vaccines - What did you Expect from the Vaccines?
Weezer - Blue Album
Wilco - Summer Teeth

You hit on three of my favourite albums of all time:

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Nirvana - Nevermind
Foo Fighters - Colour and the Shape

Other basically complete albums:

Rage Against the Machine - Self Titled
Incubus - Make Yourself
Bush - Sixteen Stone
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Failure - Fantastic Planet
Veruca Salt - American Thighs
Weezer - Blue Album
Green Day - Dookie
Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
Foo Fighters - There Is Nothing Left To Lose
Alice In Chains - Dirt
Young Buck - Straight Outta Cashville :D
Incubus - Morning View
Sublime - Self Titled
System of a Down - Toxicity
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
The Offspring - Ixnay on the Hombre

There are more that I cannot think of right now. And very few albums don't at least have one or two "meh" songs.

Top Bottom