Compensation

gopherfield

Reaction score
Does anyone have the final numbers on the raises which Kill and staff received? What's Kill's total package deal come-up to per annum? Also, haven't some of his staff doubled (or more) their previous NIU compensation?
I think they are genuinely appreciative of the opportunity at MN, but it's not that common for position coaches to get such a raise collectively without being a "top" OC/DC or moving up to Head coach.

I don't know the exact numbers but the new coordinators got huge raises. Kill probably insisted on this and some of the money might have come out of his own pocket, in a way. As far as Kill is concerned, these coordinators have proven themselves to their head coach in every way.

The costs associated with staffing college football teams has risen in an astronomic manner in recent years. Kirk Ferentz makes more in one year at Iowa ($3 million) than Hayden Fry made in all the years he coached the Hawkeyes.

Undoubtedly, some one will have the exact figures for you--somehow $350,000 per coordinator sticks in my mind for the new people at Minnesota--and the numbers will be both large and representative of huge pay increases. But Kill probably wouldn't have come to Minnesota without these kind of financial commitments for his staff. Kill and his people really had things rolling at NIU and to pack up, move and go through the incredible work it takes to rebuild a program required getting paid wages that were competitive within the Big 10.

Here's Kills salary according to KSTP:

http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Breakdown_of_new_Gophers_football_coach_Jerry_Kills_contract120710

New Gophers football coach Jerry Kill can increase his salary through a variety of performance-based incentives, including $50,000 for winning five Big Ten Conference games, $25,000 for each additional Big Ten win and $150,000 for winning the conference championship.

Those are three of the notable benchmarks in the offer letter the university tendered on Sunday to Kill, a copy of which was obtained by 1500ESPN.com contributor Darren Wolfson.

Kill's five-year contract calls for the following compensation:

• Annual base salary of $500,000, with an annual review by the athletic director, who can increase his salary based on performance.
• Annual "supplemental compensation" of $600,000 for media, fundraising, community involvement and endorsements, as well as apparel, shoes and equipment contracts.
• Buyout payment "equal to the sum you are legally required to pay" to Northern Illinois in order to leave.
• Standard benefits offered to all university employees.
• Moving expenses.
• Use of one vehicle.
• Right to operate summer football camps consistent with university policy.

Kill also has the opportunity to earn numerous performance-based incentives, including:

• National championship: $50,000
• Big Ten championship: $150,000
• Big Ten divisional championship: $100,000
• Named national coach of the year: $100,000
• Named conference coach of the year: $25,000
• Five Big Ten wins: $50,000
• Each addition Big Ten win after the fifth: $25,000
• Invitation to national championship game: $150,000
• Invitation to any other BCS bowl game: $125,000
• Invitation to Capitol One Bowl or Outback Bowl: $100,000
• Invitation to any other bowl game: $25,000
• Graduation success rate equal to or greater than that of the overall student body: $100,000
• APR rate greater than or equal to 940: $30,000
• APR rate greater than or equal to 950: $50,000
• APR rate greater than or equal to 960: $75,000

I would have been willing to pay him a lot more that the 50k for the national championship.

I would have been willing to pay him a lot more that the 50k for the national championship.

I think the way they figure is he'd also get the other performance bonusses as well. It seems low, but then again he'd get the rest of the bells and whistles on top of that.

I think the way they figure is he'd also get the other performance bonusses as well. It seems low, but then again he'd get the rest of the bells and whistles on top of that.

If gets to that point, he'll have already likely earned $525,000 in incentives (notice the payout for getting to the game is $150,000 with only $50K tacked on for winning.)

That's what I figured. I just thought it looked funny for such a small amount to be listed next to a monumental achievement like that.

Top Bottom