Comparing this game to some previous games (MI and Wisc) and previous OSU matchups

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
This is the biggest game in some time, and the two most recent games for us like this were against MI last year and WI in 2019.

In both games we grabbed very early 7-0 leads to make things seem like we were getting off on the right foot. (Against WI we even had the ball at a quick 7-0 lead).

But what happened almost the very next play were back breaking plays. Against MI, a 70 yard TD run on first down.

Against WI, Tanner through a pick right after we gained a fumble recovery.

I remember last years MI game was a mess, and after re-watching it, there was some good and some very bad. The good was that we kept moving the ball. PJ "went for broke" with a fake punt, and going for it on 4th down another time.

The defense simply didn't give us a chance all game. MI had 3 missed FG's and one punt, everything else was TD's.

The WI game in 2019 stayed closer, but eventually that one got out of control due to a fumbe-return for a TD off of a Tanner sack and a kickoff return that almost went the distance giving WI a big lead.

Learning from both, PJ is not afraid to open things up with a trick play, or going for it if he feels the need. He expects his players to come up with the stop even after a big play gone wrong, and he'll coach assuming that if he goes for a big play, a fake, or a 4th down conversion, we'll be fine.

Looking back at the last few times we played OSU, we lost by almost identical margins in both games.

In 2018 we lost 30-14. This was with Robb Smith "simplifying" the defense a week after Iowa hung 48 on us. This was Robb Smith's 2nd to last game, and I remember at the time thinking we would get blown out big time.
We started the game with Zack throwing an interception on our 4th play. We then held OSU to a FG.
We scored in the first quarter to take a 7-3 lead but OSU answered immediately to go up 10-7.
We responded with a TD to go up 14-10, but OSU got a late 2nd quarter TD to take a 17-14 lead going into the half.

OSU would add a FG to go up 20-14, and we responded with Zack A leading us down to a first and 10 at the OSU 18 on an 11 play drive. We ended up going for a 32 yd FG which Emmit Carpenter missed.
OSU next drive = FG 23-14.

We come back with a 41 yard completion to Bryce Williams and then a homerun ball for Tyler Johnson is picked off from 34 yards out.
We force a punt. Then next possession we miss another FG from 49.

OSU then drives for a TD with about 3 minutes left.
We essentially then run out the clock with some Mo runs.

In 2015 Tracy Claeys team played them and lost 28-14.
We were down 14-0 at half. 21-0 going into the 4th. We then closed it to 21-14 before OSU put it away with a 4th quarter TD.

Moral of the story.
Make your FG's.
Don't turnover the darn ball with pick-sixes / fumble sixes.
Cover Kickoffs and punts well.
Play sound defense.
Keep fighting.

Interesting perspective. Thanks! 2020 is but a bad memory, so let's hope Thursday is nothing like that Michigan game. I went to bed sick to my stomach wondering how things could've went from the highest of highs (a glorious Outback Bowl win I witnessed in person) to the lowest of lows so quickly.

I THINK this year's defense will be better, but whether that's true -- and just how much better they are -- remains to be seen.

Interesting perspective. Thanks! 2020 is but a bad memory, so let's hope Thursday is nothing like that Michigan game. I went to bed sick to my stomach wondering how things could've went from the highest of highs (a glorious Outback Bowl win I witnessed in person) to the lowest of lows so quickly.

I THINK this year's defense will be better, but whether that's true -- and just how much better they are -- remains to be seen.
My son was born the day of the Michigan game last season and I watched it from the hospital room. While I was disappointed in the game, I couldn't be more happy to have a new child.

My son was born the day of the Michigan game last season and I watched it from the hospital room. While I was disappointed in the game, I couldn't be more happy to have a new child.
Real life perspective always helps after a bad loss.

For some reason I was thinking Michigan on Halloween. I tailgated pretty hard that day so reading this recap was shocking at how little I remembered. Fortunately I remember both losses now.

This is the biggest game in some time, and the two most recent games for us like this were against MI last year and WI in 2019.

In both games we grabbed very early 7-0 leads to make things seem like we were getting off on the right foot. (Against WI we even had the ball at a quick 7-0 lead).

But what happened almost the very next play were back breaking plays. Against MI, a 70 yard TD run on first down.

Against WI, Tanner through a pick right after we gained a fumble recovery.

I remember last years MI game was a mess, and after re-watching it, there was some good and some very bad. The good was that we kept moving the ball. PJ "went for broke" with a fake punt, and going for it on 4th down another time.

The defense simply didn't give us a chance all game. MI had 3 missed FG's and one punt, everything else was TD's.

The WI game in 2019 stayed closer, but eventually that one got out of control due to a fumbe-return for a TD off of a Tanner sack and a kickoff return that almost went the distance giving WI a big lead.

Learning from both, PJ is not afraid to open things up with a trick play, or going for it if he feels the need. He expects his players to come up with the stop even after a big play gone wrong, and he'll coach assuming that if he goes for a big play, a fake, or a 4th down conversion, we'll be fine.

Looking back at the last few times we played OSU, we lost by almost identical margins in both games.

In 2018 we lost 30-14. This was with Robb Smith "simplifying" the defense a week after Iowa hung 48 on us. This was Robb Smith's 2nd to last game, and I remember at the time thinking we would get blown out big time.
We started the game with Zack throwing an interception on our 4th play. We then held OSU to a FG.
We scored in the first quarter to take a 7-3 lead but OSU answered immediately to go up 10-7.
We responded with a TD to go up 14-10, but OSU got a late 2nd quarter TD to take a 17-14 lead going into the half.

OSU would add a FG to go up 20-14, and we responded with Zack A leading us down to a first and 10 at the OSU 18 on an 11 play drive. We ended up going for a 32 yd FG which Emmit Carpenter missed.
OSU next drive = FG 23-14.

We come back with a 41 yard completion to Bryce Williams and then a homerun ball for Tyler Johnson is picked off from 34 yards out.
We force a punt. Then next possession we miss another FG from 49.

OSU then drives for a TD with about 3 minutes left.
We essentially then run out the clock with some Mo runs.

In 2015 Tracy Claeys team played them and lost 28-14.
We were down 14-0 at half. 21-0 going into the 4th. We then closed it to 21-14 before OSU put it away with a 4th quarter TD.

Moral of the story.
Make your FG's.
Don't turnover the darn ball with pick-sixes / fumble sixes.
Cover Kickoffs and punts well.
Play sound defense.
Keep fighting.
Was the 2015 game the one where Leidner was targeted?

Top Bottom