Combs leaves "U"

Doogie

Reaction score
Press Release Below:

Combs Leaves Gopher Program

University Of Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster has announced that sophomore defensive lineman Terrell Combs (Lexington, Ky.) has left the squad.

“Terrell Combs has decided to transfer,” Brewster said. “We wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Maybe Hageman and Garin jumped in front of Combs on the depth chart.

Maybe they knew it was coming and thats why Hageman is working at DE

combs transfer

Was this guy any good? I never really heard anything about him. So THAT'S why Hageman is being put at DE. Seems like a great move.

Was this guy any good? I never really heard anything about him. So THAT'S why Hageman is being put at DE. Seems like a great move.

Good athlete coming out of HS. They never really found a place for him last year. They tried him on the DL and then at FB and moved him back to the DL this season.

I think we're going to have 29 scholarships available for this year. That's absurd.

It's too bad, but also inevitable. there are going to be departures from every school, particularly one like the U where depth continues to be added (Garin, Hageman). This is a sign that the program is making progress.

Combs must not have been in the mix to be the backup fullback to Hoese, but I can't think off the top of my head who is(?)...

Combs must not have been in the mix to be the backup fullback to Hoese, but I can't think off the top of my head who is(?)...

Logan Uu is at fullback. Not sure if he's the backup. Didn't notice him on Saturday.

Back-up FB

I believe that Ed Cotton from Champlin Park was the 2nd string FB on Saturday, but I don't know if that will be the case in Syracuse.

It's too bad, but also inevitable. there are going to be departures from every school, particularly one like the U where depth continues to be added (Garin, Hageman). This is a sign that the program is making progress.

Ed Cotton played a lot with the second string. However, he just transfered to the U from Concordia (St. Paul), so he won't be eligible this year.

back-up plan

Do these kids that are leaving have a back-up plan for funding their education? I'm assuming a lot of these guys are on scholarship and not walk-ons. I just looked at my daughter's cost sheet for Winona State and it was around $18,000 with everything included. Are these guys just giving this up in hopes of catching on somewhere else or do they already have something going on when they leave the program? Just curious because as a parent I would hate to see one of my kids give up that type of opportunity.

Cotton

Since he is transferring from divison III school to DI school, I don't think he needs to sit out, but I could be wrong..

Concordia St. Paul is D2, but I can't remember how that works. I think if you transfer down (from D1 to D2), then you don't have to sit, not vice versa...

I think we're going to have 29 scholarships available for this year. That's absurd.

But we can only sign 28. We are allowed to sign 25 with an oversign of 3 more meaning we could get 28 if I remember correctly. Chances are we will get around 30 commits since there are always non-qualifiers.

But we can only sign 28. We are allowed to sign 25 with an oversign of 3 more meaning we could get 28 if I remember correctly. Chances are we will get around 30 commits since there are always non-qualifiers.

I don't know the exact oversign number, but that sounds about right.

The only way Combs scholarship can be used this year is to give it to a walk on. I not exactly sure how the accounting works but walk ons can get scholarships that count agaist previous years classes.

Top Bottom