Columbus Post-Dispatch: Violence erupted 50 years ago when Ohio State played Minnesota in basketball; careers and lives ruined

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Oller:

Fifty years ago this week, on Jan. 25, 1972, college basketball witnessed an abhorrent act of violence that remains among the worst in sports history. The one-sided melee that broke out during the last minute of Ohio State’s game at Minnesota left ugly marks that have not disappeared. The brutal brawl, which began on the floor and moved into the stands, sent three OSU players to the hospital, damaged several careers and ruined at least one man’s love for coaching.

Five decades later, those involved in the Buckeyes-Gophers brouhaha remember almost everything, except for Wagar and OSU center Luke Witte, who blacked out while getting beaten by Minnesota players, fans and the mascot.

“I remember it in detail. It was the scariest moment I’ve ever experienced in my life,” former OSU guard Gary Repella said of the mayhem inside Williams Arena, where a revved-up crowd of 17,775 were joined by another 10,000 in the adjacent hockey arena watching on closed circuit.

It began with 36 seconds left in a game the Buckeyes led 50-44, when Witte was fouled flagrantly by Minnesota’s Clyde Turner while attempting a layup. Sitting on the court, Witte reached for the hand of Gophers’ 6-foot-9 center Corky Taylor, who offered to help the Ohio State 7-footer to his feet. But as Witte rose Taylor kneed him in the groin, dropping the OSU big man back to the floor. Then all hell broke loose. After a few minutes of terror, officials and coaches agreed to call the game early, but the damage was done.

Among the biggest mistakes, Minnesota coach Bill Musselman had worked the Gophers and their fans into a frenzy, billing the Ohio State game as the biggest in school history and telling his players that defeating the Buckeyes was essential to putting the basketball program on the map. Musselman encouraged aggressive behavior and a win-at-all-costs mentality, constantly reminding his team that “Losing is worse than death, because you have to live with it.”

Witte discussed Musselman’s all-or-nothing approach with Corky Taylor and Turner when the three met in 2000 in Minneapolis to mend fences. They also talked about the racial tensions of the early 1970s that likely contributed to the brawl — Minnesota’s roster was mostly black; Ohio State’s mostly white — as well as the need to forgive, if not forget.

“There really are things to be learned from every event, and if you don’t walk away having learned something from it, you’re the one lesser for the experience,” Witte said this week.

Go Gophers!!

OMG! I'm not defending what happen that day, but to bring Goldy Gopher into it, which i dont remember as being part of the incident...OY!
Let it go Rob.

Careers and life’s ruined seems a bit over the top. Quite a bit of unsubstantiated recounts of situation too. But it all makes for more clicks. No excuse for the terrible behavior of course. Another article this time next year .

There have been suggestions that some Ohio State players made racial comments directed at the Gophers' mostly-black roster.

just before halftime, OSU Center Witte reportedly elbowed Gopher Guard Bobby Nix, which had the Gopher players fuming in the locker room.

And one of the more interesting aspects - Dave Winfield was a reserve on the Gopher team. by all accounts, he was involved in the brawl, punching several OSU players. But, because of the lack of TV coverage, no footage could be found showing Winfield hitting anyone, so he did not face any discipline from the B1G.

If you believe it, in Sid Hartman's book, he said he was called by the B1G office as part of its investigation, and Sid told the conference that "he didn't see Winfield hit anyone," so Sid was taking credit for Winfield not being suspended. Of course, Winfield went on to be part of the "Iron Five" as the remaining Gopher players won the B1G title with the starting 5 playing almost every minute.

and the final bit of oddity - the NHL all-star game was being played that night at the Met Center in Bloomington. but, according to Reusse, because the Gophers were the big story in town, there was very little local media coverage at the all-star game.

I was a season ticket holder for 39 years, and was at that game. This is the first time I've heard allegations that the Ohio State players made racial comments directed at the Gopher players. If they did, I never read about it. Sounds more like something made up after the fact to justify their behavior. Regardless, the Gophers were the instigators of the mugging (you can't really call it a fight, it was so one-sided). It has always irked me that Winfield got off with no penalty because he was definitely involved in the action. I've followed the Gophers since the late 50's and have had season tickets in four sports. That game remains the low point.

Details are so sketchy, so who knows, but I find it hard to believe that this amount of violence was completely spontaneous and in the moment. I have to think that the players had worked themselves into a lather and had been talking about taking it out on the Buckeyes if the game went south. This is only speculation, but it just feels like there must've been some amount of premeditation to it.

In some ways I miss the days when this town used to be more sports crazy than it is these days. I wish fans around here were a little less okay with losing than we've come to be. But wow, let us not go back to getting THIS worked up about sports that we're foaming at the mouth and participating in a brawl. It's hard to even believe this happened.

OMG! I'm not defending what happen that day, but to bring Goldy Gopher into it, which i dont remember as being part of the incident...OY!
Let it go Rob.
That’s unlike him. Was he ever tested for rabies?🤔

I was a season ticket holder for 39 years, and was at that game. This is the first time I've heard allegations that the Ohio State players made racial comments directed at the Gopher players. If they did, I never read about it. Sounds more like something made up after the fact to justify their behavior. Regardless, the Gophers were the instigators of the mugging (you can't really call it a fight, it was so one-sided). It has always irked me that Winfield got off with no penalty because he was definitely involved in the action. I've followed the Gophers since the late 50's and have had season tickets in four sports. That game remains the low point.
The narrative locally for years has been there were racial undertones to the events that night. If you have been on this board for any length of time (it seems this story gets regurgitated about every three years or so, usually in the context of a current brawl that is "nothing" compared to what Minnesota did to Ohio State in 1972), I would think you have heard that version of the story.

No matter what lit that fire 50 years ago, the most important thing is that the guys involved reconciled. It seems that's always at best an afterthought in the retelling of it.

I'm with Bad Gopher. No one wants to see brawls and cheap shots, but some renewed intensity and dissatisfaction with losing would be refreshing.

Details are so sketchy, so who knows, but I find it hard to believe that this amount of violence was completely spontaneous and in the moment. I have to think that the players had worked themselves into a lather and had been talking about taking it out on the Buckeyes if the game went south. This is only speculation, but it just feels like there must've been some amount of premeditation to it.

In some ways I miss the days when this town used to be more sports crazy than it is these days. I wish fans around here were a little less okay with losing than we've come to be. But wow, let us not go back to getting THIS worked up about sports that we're foaming at the mouth and participating in a brawl. It's hard to even believe this happened.
Perhaps splitting hairs Bad, but I think this kind of violence can easily happen in the moment, and would not have involved any advanced planning to happen. I doubt it happens with no provocation or internal justification, but that's different than "if we're out if this game, we're going to let them have it." I actually have a harder time believing it was premeditated in some vague way than tempers flared for whatever reason and all hell broke loose.

Perhaps splitting hairs Bad, but I think this kind of violence can easily happen in the moment, and would not have involved any advanced planning to happen. I doubt it happens with no provocation or internal justification, but that's different than "if we're out if this game, we're going to let them have it." I actually have a harder time believing it was premeditated in some vague way than tempers flared for whatever reason and all hell broke loose.
I think your take on it is right on from what I remember. The players and the crowd were at fever pitch. Everyone wanted to beat Ohio State so badly. I know as much as I want to beat the Badgers now, it doesn't come close to how much that game mattered. The game itself was intense; every possession mattered. You could feel the frustration as you realized the Gophers were going to lose. Taylor just snapped I think and then Behagen joined in. Not sure Taylor could have told you when he decided to knee Witte or why.

I remember getting my copy of SI in the mailbox and reading this. I highlighted some of the most ridiculous, and racist, comments below.

AN UGLY AFFAIR IN MINNEAPOLIS​

WHEN AN OVERPSYCHED MINNESOTA BASKETBALL TEAM WENT BERSERK IN A CRITICAL BIG TEN GAME, LUKE WITTE AND HIS OHIO STATE TEAMMATES WERE NOT THE ONLY VICTIMS; THE ENTIRE SPORT EMERGED WITH A BLACK EYE

He had been wheeled out of Minnesota's Williams Arena on a long stretcher, bleeding and numb. At the university hospital he had spent an hour in the emergency room, where they patched him up as well as possible, then admitted him for the night. Now, on the day after the riot, only hours after he had become the victim of what the governor of Ohio called a "public mugging," Luke Witte was a mess. His right eye was completely covered with a white patch. His left ear was swollen and colored purple. An angry red scab was on his left cheek. His lower lip was swollen and a large, flesh-colored Band-Aid covered the stitched-up gash on his chin. When he got on the plane that was to take him away from Minneapolis, a stewardess looked at him, smiled a stewardess' smile and asked, "Oh, did something happen to you?"
"Yeah," said Witte, managing an answering smile from under his bandages, scabs and stitches. "I had an accident."
Accident, indeed. What happened to Witte last week and others on Ohio State's basketball team can only be described as assault and battery. The attackers were the players and fans of the University of Minnesota, an emotional lot who apparently would not stomach the idea of losing to the Buckeyes in their Big Ten showdown. So, with 36 seconds left and Ohio State holding a 50-44 lead, they rioted. For a scary, improbable interval of one minute and 35 seconds, they came swinging and kicking at the Buckeyes from all sides of the floor. Witte, Ohio State's talented seven-foot blond center, took his most serious blows when he was on the floor, writhing in pain and completely defenseless. It was an ugly, cowardly display of violence, and, when it was over, when the police and officials had finally restored order, the fans had the audacity to boo Witte as he was helped, bleeding and semiconscious, from the floor.

The final 36 seconds were not played, for fear that the Gophers and their fans would rage out of control. Later, when Paul Giel, Minnesota's new athletic director, visited the Ohio State locker room, he found Fred Taylor, the Buckeyes' coach, pale and quivering with rage and indignation.
"I knew it would be emotional," said Giel, apologetically, "but I had no idea it would be like this."
"It was bush," answered Taylor. "I've never seen anything like it. But what do you expect from a bush outfit?"
Specifically, Taylor was referring to young Bill Musselman, Minnesota's new coach, and the basketball program he brought with him from—of all places—Ohio. At Ashland College (SI, Dec. 15, 1969), Musselman built a reputation for showmanship, stingy defense and winning records. It was a reputation that was not always admired by a professor of philosophy who followed his teams there, Dr. Wayne W. Witte, father of Luke. Asked to comment on the brawl, the elder Witte said, "I'm not surprised. Musselman's intent seems to be to win at any cost. His players are brutalized and animalized to achieve that goal."
Musselman inherited a sagging program at Minnesota this season. The Gophers had not won a Big Ten title outright since 1919 (they shared one in 1937) and student interest was low. He was the fifth Minnesota coach in five years. Nevertheless, when the selection committee asked him how long it would take to turn Minnesota into a winner, Musselman said, "We'll win right off. I don't believe in rebuilding years."

He does believe in big, strong teams. Soon after he arrived in Minneapolis, Musselman picked up two junior college transfers—Ron Behagen (6'9") and Bob Nix (6'3"). Together with another JC transfer, Clyde Turner (6'8") and Jim Brewer (6'8"), Corky Taylor (6'9") and Keith Young (6'5"), already at Minnesota, they instantly comprised the most intimidating team in the conference. All except Nix were blacks who had learned the game on city playgrounds. The only question was how they would get along with Musselman, known always as a strict disciplinarian. "Discipline is the most important thing in life," says Musselman.
Next to winning, of Course. To help achieve what Musselman considered a winning environment, inspirational slogans were painted by an assistant coach on the walls of Minnesota's locker room in maroon and gold. Over the door to the players' shower is this message, the pith of the Musselman philosophy: "Defeat is worse than death because you have to live with defeat."
The fans loved the team, they loved Musselman and they especially loved the Gophers' fancy pregame Globetrotters' warmup routines. By January, when the Big Ten part of the schedule opened, the team was ready. Minnesota knocked off four straight foes, while Ohio State had three conference wins heading into last week's showdown.
The tension and emotion began to build early. When the Buckeyes came on the floor, they were booed. Then came the Gophers with their Barnum & Bailey act. While their ball handling, passing and dribbling tricks—all done to the loud, steady beat of heavy rock music played over the P.A. system—are entertaining, they also are designed to hype up the team and the crowd. Musselman says, "It motivates my players."

In retrospect, that seems an understatement. By the end of the warmups, and long before the start of the game, the Gophers and the 17,775 fans were motivated to the point of frenzy. Later, after Musselman's "disciplined" team had come unglued, Ohio State Athletic Director J. Edward Weaver pointed to the warmups as the underlying cause of the riot.
As a whole, the game was rough and nerve-racking, but also cleanly played and well-officiated. The only incident of any sort before the slaughter came when the teams were going to their dressing rooms at halftime. As Nix passed in front of Witte, his left arm raised in a clenched-fist salute, the Buckeye center tried to shove the fist out of his way with an elbow and in the attempt clipped Nix lightly on the jaw. Later, Musselman claimed that was the incident that incited his players. "Our kids were really upset at halftime," he said.
With 11:41 remaining in the final period, Minnesota took a 32-30 lead on a jump shot by Taylor, replacing Behagen who had fouled out two minutes earlier. But then Ohio State scored 10 straight points to go in front 40-32. Try as they might, the Gophers could never get any closer than five points. As defeat became more and more apparent, the crowd began to turn ugly. At one point, the officials stopped the game because of various debris—peanut sacks, peanuts, pennies, Coke cups—that was splattering the floor. When it was announced that any more throwing would result in a technical foul against Minnesota, there were boos—and more debris. Still, the players seemed under control.

Then it happened. With the Buckeyes ahead 50-44, Witte was driving in for what promised to be an easy layup. Instead, Minnesota's Turner cut in front of Witte and clobbered him. Almost instantaneously Taylor got Witte with a sweeping overhand right hook on the ear. The crowd cheered, then booed when it was Turner who was called for a flagrant foul and ejected from the game. As Witte rolled over and slowly got up on all fours, Taylor walked up and extended his right hand in what seemed to be a gentlemanly gesture. But when Witte was almost to his feet, Taylor abruptly pulled him forward and drove his right knee into Witte's groin. The big center crashed back to the floor. Then the arena erupted in a swirl of flying fists. Later Taylor claimed, through Musselman, that Witte triggered the incident by spitting at him. But an inspection of slow-motion films does not reveal the spitting.
"I wouldn't have done it in the first place," said Witte. "And even if I wanted to, I couldn't have because I was down too low."
When Ohio State Guard Dave Merchant moved in on a retreating Taylor, Jim Brewer hit Merchant with a combination of punches and then, along with Turner, chased him down the sideline. Meanwhile, Behagen rushed from his seat on the bench to where Witte was lying helpless and viciously stomped the Ohio State player's neck and face.

Fred Taylor pulled off Behagen who, according to Taylor, screamed, "Let me go, man, let me go." Dave Winfield, who recently joined the Gopher varsity, joined the fray, too, dodging to mid-court where some Minnesota reserves and civilians were trying to wrestle Ohio State substitute Mark Wagar to the floor. Winfield leaped on top of Wagar when he was down and hit him five times with his right fist on the face and head. When the stunned Wagar managed to slip away, a fan pushed him to the floor and another caught him on the chin with a hard punch from the side.
As the riot increased in tempo, with fans now flooding the playing area, only one cop was anywhere to be seen. By the time others arrived and began pulling people apart, the damage was done. Witte and Wagar lay near each other, so dazed that neither could remember anything when questioned later. "I went blank after I was hit with the knee," said Witte. "The next thing I knew, I was in the emergency room at the hospital." Wagar got up and helped Witte off the court but does not recall doing it.
The next day, as everyone was trying to sort out the facts, Ohio State's Benny Allison, a black sophomore guard, introduced the theory that it had all been mainly a case of Minnesota blacks against Ohio State whites. Allison said: "It was a racial thing. You will remember that Wardell [Jackson] and I were right out there in the middle of it, just like everybody else, but nobody swung on us. They just passed us up and went for the other guys. Sometimes things like that happen."

It was left to Wayne Duke, commissioner of the Big Ten and a spectator at the game, to fix the blame. He stayed in Minneapolis to view films and talk with Musselman, Behagen and Taylor, among others, then two days later announced that Taylor and Behagen would be suspended for the rest of the season.
The penalty in a way was assessed by both Duke and Minnesota. Before his announcement, the commissioner received a 10 p.m. phone call from Giel informing him that the university had decided to suspend the two players indefinitely. The next morning the Minnesota Athletic Senate said the suspension would last at least until Feb. 15, but by that time Duke had determined on his stiffer penalty. He also cleared up a few points. The investigation, he said, turned up "no evidence" of racial overtones. As to the Buckeyes' part in the affair, he was satisfied that only in the Witte-Nix incident "were charges of excessive physical contact against Ohio State's players at all justified." He said, too, that "the game was under the control of the officials until the final 36 seconds." His interview with Corky Taylor, Duke said, "did not substantiate the charge of spitting"—Taylor amended earlier remarks to say that he thought Witte was going to spit at him—and Duke concluded that the riot was "precipitated" by Taylor's "unsportsmanlike act."
But Duke also left at least two questions hanging. To what extent did Musselman and his program contribute to an atmosphere conducive to violence? And why wasn't Winfield also suspended? Many people, particularly Ohioans, felt that the penalties imposed were not commensurate with the seriousness of acts that Duke himself termed "unprecedented" and "unacceptable in our society." In what was easily his most thought-provoking comment of the day, Duke said, "As you look back at it, isn't it terrible to say 'we were fortunate'?"

Fights always have been a deplorable part of college basketball, a game that thrives on emotion and contact. Lately, though, the brawls have developed in number and intensity to the point where thoughtful basketball people are concerned about the sport's direction. Millions saw the recent donnybrook between South Carolina and Marquette on TV. That was sobering enough, but Ohio State-Minnesota was different—and far worse. Instead of a fight erupting from blows struck in the heat of competition, this was a cold, brutal attack, governed by the law of the jungle. It could be considered the inevitable result of the malaise that afflicts the sport these days, a stunning example of responsibility abdicated by a coach, the players he recruited and taught and the fans who followed them. Musselman made no attempt to stop the fight and showed no remorse afterward. As Fred Taylor said, "There's more at stake here than basketball games."
Taylor and his team moved on to Ann Arbor for a game with Michigan at the end of last week. Playing without Witte or Wagar, the Buckeyes were beaten by the Wolverines 88-78 for their first league loss in five games. (On the same day, Minnesota, minus Behagen and Taylor, to whom the Gophers dedicated the game, won 61-50 over Iowa and thus tied Michigan for the Big Ten lead with a 5-1 record.) Ohio State was called for 32 fouls to Michigan's 18 and afterward Taylor said, "What happened at Minnesota had an indirect effect on what happened here.... The officials were afraid that the crowd would come out of the stands again."

By week's end, Luke Witte's face was beginning to heal. "I still have some headaches," he said, "but I am feeling better all the time." He was lucky, maybe, but the sport he wants to play again was not looking so good.

I remember getting my copy of SI in the mailbox and reading this. I highlighted some of the most ridiculous, and racist, comments below.

AN UGLY AFFAIR IN MINNEAPOLIS​

WHEN AN OVERPSYCHED MINNESOTA BASKETBALL TEAM WENT BERSERK IN A CRITICAL BIG TEN GAME, LUKE WITTE AND HIS OHIO STATE TEAMMATES WERE NOT THE ONLY VICTIMS; THE ENTIRE SPORT EMERGED WITH A BLACK EYE

He had been wheeled out of Minnesota's Williams Arena on a long stretcher, bleeding and numb. At the university hospital he had spent an hour in the emergency room, where they patched him up as well as possible, then admitted him for the night. Now, on the day after the riot, only hours after he had become the victim of what the governor of Ohio called a "public mugging," Luke Witte was a mess. His right eye was completely covered with a white patch. His left ear was swollen and colored purple. An angry red scab was on his left cheek. His lower lip was swollen and a large, flesh-colored Band-Aid covered the stitched-up gash on his chin. When he got on the plane that was to take him away from Minneapolis, a stewardess looked at him, smiled a stewardess' smile and asked, "Oh, did something happen to you?"
"Yeah," said Witte, managing an answering smile from under his bandages, scabs and stitches. "I had an accident."
Accident, indeed. What happened to Witte last week and others on Ohio State's basketball team can only be described as assault and battery. The attackers were the players and fans of the University of Minnesota, an emotional lot who apparently would not stomach the idea of losing to the Buckeyes in their Big Ten showdown. So, with 36 seconds left and Ohio State holding a 50-44 lead, they rioted. For a scary, improbable interval of one minute and 35 seconds, they came swinging and kicking at the Buckeyes from all sides of the floor. Witte, Ohio State's talented seven-foot blond center, took his most serious blows when he was on the floor, writhing in pain and completely defenseless. It was an ugly, cowardly display of violence, and, when it was over, when the police and officials had finally restored order, the fans had the audacity to boo Witte as he was helped, bleeding and semiconscious, from the floor.

The final 36 seconds were not played, for fear that the Gophers and their fans would rage out of control. Later, when Paul Giel, Minnesota's new athletic director, visited the Ohio State locker room, he found Fred Taylor, the Buckeyes' coach, pale and quivering with rage and indignation.
"I knew it would be emotional," said Giel, apologetically, "but I had no idea it would be like this."
"It was bush," answered Taylor. "I've never seen anything like it. But what do you expect from a bush outfit?"
Specifically, Taylor was referring to young Bill Musselman, Minnesota's new coach, and the basketball program he brought with him from—of all places—Ohio. At Ashland College (SI, Dec. 15, 1969), Musselman built a reputation for showmanship, stingy defense and winning records. It was a reputation that was not always admired by a professor of philosophy who followed his teams there, Dr. Wayne W. Witte, father of Luke. Asked to comment on the brawl, the elder Witte said, "I'm not surprised. Musselman's intent seems to be to win at any cost. His players are brutalized and animalized to achieve that goal."
Musselman inherited a sagging program at Minnesota this season. The Gophers had not won a Big Ten title outright since 1919 (they shared one in 1937) and student interest was low. He was the fifth Minnesota coach in five years. Nevertheless, when the selection committee asked him how long it would take to turn Minnesota into a winner, Musselman said, "We'll win right off. I don't believe in rebuilding years."

He does believe in big, strong teams. Soon after he arrived in Minneapolis, Musselman picked up two junior college transfers—Ron Behagen (6'9") and Bob Nix (6'3"). Together with another JC transfer, Clyde Turner (6'8") and Jim Brewer (6'8"), Corky Taylor (6'9") and Keith Young (6'5"), already at Minnesota, they instantly comprised the most intimidating team in the conference. All except Nix were blacks who had learned the game on city playgrounds. The only question was how they would get along with Musselman, known always as a strict disciplinarian. "Discipline is the most important thing in life," says Musselman.
Next to winning, of Course. To help achieve what Musselman considered a winning environment, inspirational slogans were painted by an assistant coach on the walls of Minnesota's locker room in maroon and gold. Over the door to the players' shower is this message, the pith of the Musselman philosophy: "Defeat is worse than death because you have to live with defeat."
The fans loved the team, they loved Musselman and they especially loved the Gophers' fancy pregame Globetrotters' warmup routines. By January, when the Big Ten part of the schedule opened, the team was ready. Minnesota knocked off four straight foes, while Ohio State had three conference wins heading into last week's showdown.
The tension and emotion began to build early. When the Buckeyes came on the floor, they were booed. Then came the Gophers with their Barnum & Bailey act. While their ball handling, passing and dribbling tricks—all done to the loud, steady beat of heavy rock music played over the P.A. system—are entertaining, they also are designed to hype up the team and the crowd. Musselman says, "It motivates my players."

In retrospect, that seems an understatement. By the end of the warmups, and long before the start of the game, the Gophers and the 17,775 fans were motivated to the point of frenzy. Later, after Musselman's "disciplined" team had come unglued, Ohio State Athletic Director J. Edward Weaver pointed to the warmups as the underlying cause of the riot.
As a whole, the game was rough and nerve-racking, but also cleanly played and well-officiated. The only incident of any sort before the slaughter came when the teams were going to their dressing rooms at halftime. As Nix passed in front of Witte, his left arm raised in a clenched-fist salute, the Buckeye center tried to shove the fist out of his way with an elbow and in the attempt clipped Nix lightly on the jaw. Later, Musselman claimed that was the incident that incited his players. "Our kids were really upset at halftime," he said.
With 11:41 remaining in the final period, Minnesota took a 32-30 lead on a jump shot by Taylor, replacing Behagen who had fouled out two minutes earlier. But then Ohio State scored 10 straight points to go in front 40-32. Try as they might, the Gophers could never get any closer than five points. As defeat became more and more apparent, the crowd began to turn ugly. At one point, the officials stopped the game because of various debris—peanut sacks, peanuts, pennies, Coke cups—that was splattering the floor. When it was announced that any more throwing would result in a technical foul against Minnesota, there were boos—and more debris. Still, the players seemed under control.

Then it happened. With the Buckeyes ahead 50-44, Witte was driving in for what promised to be an easy layup. Instead, Minnesota's Turner cut in front of Witte and clobbered him. Almost instantaneously Taylor got Witte with a sweeping overhand right hook on the ear. The crowd cheered, then booed when it was Turner who was called for a flagrant foul and ejected from the game. As Witte rolled over and slowly got up on all fours, Taylor walked up and extended his right hand in what seemed to be a gentlemanly gesture. But when Witte was almost to his feet, Taylor abruptly pulled him forward and drove his right knee into Witte's groin. The big center crashed back to the floor. Then the arena erupted in a swirl of flying fists. Later Taylor claimed, through Musselman, that Witte triggered the incident by spitting at him. But an inspection of slow-motion films does not reveal the spitting.
"I wouldn't have done it in the first place," said Witte. "And even if I wanted to, I couldn't have because I was down too low."
When Ohio State Guard Dave Merchant moved in on a retreating Taylor, Jim Brewer hit Merchant with a combination of punches and then, along with Turner, chased him down the sideline. Meanwhile, Behagen rushed from his seat on the bench to where Witte was lying helpless and viciously stomped the Ohio State player's neck and face.

Fred Taylor pulled off Behagen who, according to Taylor, screamed, "Let me go, man, let me go." Dave Winfield, who recently joined the Gopher varsity, joined the fray, too, dodging to mid-court where some Minnesota reserves and civilians were trying to wrestle Ohio State substitute Mark Wagar to the floor. Winfield leaped on top of Wagar when he was down and hit him five times with his right fist on the face and head. When the stunned Wagar managed to slip away, a fan pushed him to the floor and another caught him on the chin with a hard punch from the side.
As the riot increased in tempo, with fans now flooding the playing area, only one cop was anywhere to be seen. By the time others arrived and began pulling people apart, the damage was done. Witte and Wagar lay near each other, so dazed that neither could remember anything when questioned later. "I went blank after I was hit with the knee," said Witte. "The next thing I knew, I was in the emergency room at the hospital." Wagar got up and helped Witte off the court but does not recall doing it.
The next day, as everyone was trying to sort out the facts, Ohio State's Benny Allison, a black sophomore guard, introduced the theory that it had all been mainly a case of Minnesota blacks against Ohio State whites. Allison said: "It was a racial thing. You will remember that Wardell [Jackson] and I were right out there in the middle of it, just like everybody else, but nobody swung on us. They just passed us up and went for the other guys. Sometimes things like that happen."

It was left to Wayne Duke, commissioner of the Big Ten and a spectator at the game, to fix the blame. He stayed in Minneapolis to view films and talk with Musselman, Behagen and Taylor, among others, then two days later announced that Taylor and Behagen would be suspended for the rest of the season.
The penalty in a way was assessed by both Duke and Minnesota. Before his announcement, the commissioner received a 10 p.m. phone call from Giel informing him that the university had decided to suspend the two players indefinitely. The next morning the Minnesota Athletic Senate said the suspension would last at least until Feb. 15, but by that time Duke had determined on his stiffer penalty. He also cleared up a few points. The investigation, he said, turned up "no evidence" of racial overtones. As to the Buckeyes' part in the affair, he was satisfied that only in the Witte-Nix incident "were charges of excessive physical contact against Ohio State's players at all justified." He said, too, that "the game was under the control of the officials until the final 36 seconds." His interview with Corky Taylor, Duke said, "did not substantiate the charge of spitting"—Taylor amended earlier remarks to say that he thought Witte was going to spit at him—and Duke concluded that the riot was "precipitated" by Taylor's "unsportsmanlike act."
But Duke also left at least two questions hanging. To what extent did Musselman and his program contribute to an atmosphere conducive to violence? And why wasn't Winfield also suspended? Many people, particularly Ohioans, felt that the penalties imposed were not commensurate with the seriousness of acts that Duke himself termed "unprecedented" and "unacceptable in our society." In what was easily his most thought-provoking comment of the day, Duke said, "As you look back at it, isn't it terrible to say 'we were fortunate'?"

Fights always have been a deplorable part of college basketball, a game that thrives on emotion and contact. Lately, though, the brawls have developed in number and intensity to the point where thoughtful basketball people are concerned about the sport's direction. Millions saw the recent donnybrook between South Carolina and Marquette on TV. That was sobering enough, but Ohio State-Minnesota was different—and far worse. Instead of a fight erupting from blows struck in the heat of competition, this was a cold, brutal attack, governed by the law of the jungle. It could be considered the inevitable result of the malaise that afflicts the sport these days, a stunning example of responsibility abdicated by a coach, the players he recruited and taught and the fans who followed them. Musselman made no attempt to stop the fight and showed no remorse afterward. As Fred Taylor said, "There's more at stake here than basketball games."
Taylor and his team moved on to Ann Arbor for a game with Michigan at the end of last week. Playing without Witte or Wagar, the Buckeyes were beaten by the Wolverines 88-78 for their first league loss in five games. (On the same day, Minnesota, minus Behagen and Taylor, to whom the Gophers dedicated the game, won 61-50 over Iowa and thus tied Michigan for the Big Ten lead with a 5-1 record.) Ohio State was called for 32 fouls to Michigan's 18 and afterward Taylor said, "What happened at Minnesota had an indirect effect on what happened here.... The officials were afraid that the crowd would come out of the stands again."

By week's end, Luke Witte's face was beginning to heal. "I still have some headaches," he said, "but I am feeling better all the time." He was lucky, maybe, but the sport he wants to play again was not looking so good.

That last part is interesting: describing the landscape of college basketball as being riddled with violence and brawling. Unless there's stuff going on our there that I don't know about, the game is a heck of a lot more orderly and peaceful than those days.

Top Bottom