Columbus paper completes 6 month investigation into college sports secrecy

This report just indicates what I think most people already knew: College athletics is one dirty business and those highly involved will take any and all steps to cover their tracks.

And as long as these schools continue to make money, the NCAA along with university officials themselves will continue to skirt the system with different "interpretations" of this law to benefit their athletic program's overall agenda.

hahaha...

i like the way maryland handled the request for info...

"sure...we will honor your request for info...just send us $35K to make it worth our while...".:D:D:D

paper is expensive...ink for the copier is expensive...a student on work-study who has to do the filing is expensive...:clap::clap::clap:

The only way to enjoy college athletics is to keep yourself blissfully ignorant of absolutely everything that happens off the field.

My unpopular proposal is to remove athletic scholarships. Step one is returning academic integrity. Once that mission is compromised, everything else follows.

I agree with Studwell's thoughts. If you actually allow yourself to think about and examine the things the NCAA would have you believe about college sports you have a hard time accepting what you think you are watching. It is too bad I guess, but major college sports got away from themselves a long time ago and get further and further from what they pretend to be every year. Just don't think about what it is actually supposed to be and it is a hell of a lot of fun.

As part of implementing law, the DOE is allowed to issue rules & regulations. They can issue rules stating that FERPA doe not apply to certain items.

"The only way to enjoy college athletics is to keep yourself blissfully ignorant of absolutely everything that happens off the field."

Perfectly stated by Studwell.

The only way to enjoy college athletics is to keep yourself blissfully ignorant of absolutely everything that happens off the field.

My unpopular proposal is to remove athletic scholarships. Step one is returning academic integrity. Once that mission is compromised, everything else follows.

Truly Student Athletes then.

You would lose the top basketball players for sure. Those that have a chance to be in the NBA, and those that can play in Europe. It would be interesting down the road, say four years after a rule like that was instituted. Talent levels would even out.

Football wouldn't be that impacted because of fewer options.

You could forget about hockey players, top players that could play pro would not go to college, no way, they don't complete high school in their schools the way it is now. They would just bypass college.

I've always suggested that like schools for music and schools for acting there should be schools for sports. Nobody is crying about random #1809987234 wannabe actor training skills (s)he doesn't have.

Football is entertainment, so move it to the entertainment style of education.

I wouldn't mind if players who were only interested in the pros skipped college alltogether. If more football players chose not to go to college, then perhaps minor leagues would have to be created, the NFL is certainally going to want talented players to be produced.

There are too many players who have put all their eggs in the pro sports basket, too many that don't have a realistic chance at a a career in professional sports. It's true, there are also plenty of players who realize the college scholarship is the proverbial brass ring, and make the most of it. If someone gets an athletic scholarship, and finished his years of college with no degree, and no pro sports career, that is pretty sad.

Top Bottom