Colorado

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Each of the last two seasons, we have had our share of "Are the Gophers the worst team in the entire BCS" threads here on Gopher Hole. There was a lot of soul searching as we watched our lads lose to South Dakota, New Mexico State, North Dakota State, and get pounded early by other B1G teams. Thankfully, during each of these challenging seasons the Gophers rebounded late to gain a little respectability and remove themselves from "worst team in BCS" talk, pull out of the ESPN "Bottom 10", etc.

BUT...

Through any of those dark hours did anyone here think the team was as bad as Colorado appears to be this season? I know it is still early and Colorado has the same opportunity to pull itself out of the abyss. But, imagine if this season continues on the same path for them through the end of the year. Yikes!

I thought that the media should have given much more attention to the Colorado-Fresno State debacle. Colorado doesn't exactly move the needle, but they got DESTROYED by Fresno State to the degree that the Pac 12 should consider dropping them.

The hire of Jon Embree seemed like a disaster from the start and in some ways reminded me of the Brewster hire (though Brewster had more impressive recruiting chops). Embree had never been a head coach before, and was hired (I think) based on the idea that he was young, an alum, from the NFL, and could relate to players. The problem is that he doesn't seem to be able to coach, or run a program, and that trumps the previous stuff.

I've thought about this myself. I would say that the 41-38 loss to South Dakota was a worse defeat, but at least it made the decision to fire Brewster cut and dry. I was going to school during the Joe Salem era so I have seen two coaching regimes totally fail. (What is different now is that Joe would have been fired after the 1982 season instead of getting to embarrass himself in 1983… 84-13 Nebraska). An example of how a complete collapse makes things easy is Tyrone Willingham. The decision to fire him from Washington after an 0-12 season is much easier than Notre Dame firing him after a 6-5 season.

Colorado’s staff is in their second season. If this was their 1st season, they would be safe. In a second year, I think they better show some “ray of hope” or they will be out.

Colorado is not a dream job, but it is a dream loation. Colorado needs to go to a cadidate who has done it, has plenty of gas still in the tank. I thinking along the lines of Jim Tressel or Butch Davis. But Colorado will consult with some head hunter in Atlanta.

Yes, complete disaster. Then he hires Eric Biennemie (sp) as the OC, who is apparently under qualified for that job. I really thought that Embree would be fired on Sunday afternoon. Hadn't they given up 50 points at half-time?

Fresno State could have laid 100 points on Colorado. I'm not saying that Fresno State is a bad team, but they aren't one of the top teams either. It would be one thing for a BCS team to be crushed like this against a top team (the Gophers were crushed by Nebraska, but Nebraska finished the season ranked #2) but against a midling team...

Yes, complete disaster. Then he hires Eric Biennemie (sp) as the OC, who is apparently under qualified for that job. I really thought that Embree would be fired on Sunday afternoon. Hadn't they given up 50 points at half-time?

35-0 at the end of the first quarter. 55-0 at the half. It looks like the starters were pulled for the second half. Fresno State had a 94-yard TD run to go up 35-0.

The really crazy thing is the fact that he doesn't even make the Top 10 on Coaches Hotseat: http://www.coacheshotseat.com/

In fact UNLV's Hauck is ahead of him. I think the powers that be in Colorado have been spending a little too much time on Pearl Avenue

...but they got DESTROYED by Fresno State to the degree that the Pac 12 should consider dropping them....

It's statements like this that keep bringing me back to Gopherhole. Colorado should also "cut" several players for poor performance and take away their scholarships. Now.

While I have to think the PAC-12 has some buyer's remorse over Colorado, kicking out a team for bad performance is pretty rare, and wouldn't be done for performance over a relatively short period. There have been times where teams just can't compete, and they choose to leave the conference, but I can't recall teams being kicked out for bad performance.

How many NFL TE coaches must be hired for BCS schools before people figure out it's a bad idea?!! Oh, the humanity!

Seriously, though, the previous Colorado coach was the guy who did so well at Boise St. That would've seemed to be an ideal hire - up-and-coming mid-major relatively-local head coach - and he bombed (not as bad as Embree, but still). Anyway, the total collapse against Fresno was astonishing. They may have to fire him this year if the players just give up on him - buyout be damned.

Being crushed by Fresno State is bad but it is also not good when you lose your opener to instate powerhouse Colorado State :rolleyes:(who has lost to North Dakota State and San Jose State) and also lose to Sacramento State. Now that is an ugly start!

RodentRampage said:
While I have to think the PAC-12 has some buyer's remorse over Colorado, kicking out a team for bad performance is pretty rare, and wouldn't be done for performance over a relatively short period. There have been times where teams just can't compete, and they choose to leave the conference, but I can't recall teams being kicked out for bad performance.

Temple was kicked out of the Big East about 10 years ago, right?

Maybe Colorado and Savannah State will meet in a bowl game.

If the game doesn't conflict with the Gophers (whenever it is played), I might have to find that Oregon vs Colorado matchup and watch part of it. Sort of like watching Animal Planet when the lions show up for wildebeest calving season.

Temple was kicked out of the Big East about 10 years ago, right?

Temple was a football only addition to the Big East to give them an even 8 members back in '91. When they added the CUSA teams in '05, they got dropped.

I have seen more than a few Colorado games at Folsom since I have family with season tickets. They are much like the Gophers in records over the years since their 1990 National Championship. Incredible town, incredible campus and the stadium has the "wow" factor. Unfortunately that program was destroyed over the years by recruiting violations\probations and MANY kids getting kicked off the team. I hope former Buff Embree is the coach to turn it around.

I thought it was because of poor attendance coupled with performance.

It was. The really funy thing is that less than 8 years later the Big East was so desperate that they invited Temple back in to replace West Virginia.

Tenple football had been really bad for a long time. They had some decent teams in the 70's, but from 1980 to when they were forced out, they had three winning season: 6-5 records in 1984 and 1985, and a 7-4 record in 1990. The 90's were worse than the 80's. From 1991 to 1999, they reached three wins only once. They actually reached 4 wins in 2000, 2001 and 2002, but their final two years in the Big East, they only won 1 and 2 games. They really have made an amazing turnaround the last three seasons, they had been in a much deeper hole that the Gophers had ever been.

Look who just beat Washington St. on a last second TD. What a comeback. 35-34 Final.

That's a really big win for them, holds off the floor caving in for a little bit lol. A 70 yard pass and an 84 yard run in the 4th to get back in it, wow.

Top Bottom