Colorado series bumped back

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
Games with Colorado bumped back from 2012 and 2013 to 2020 and 2021.

"CU is in the process of reworking future schedules to accommodate the CSU series. The Buffs were slated to play Minnesota in 2012 and 2013, but that series is now being pushed back to 2020 and 2021."

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_13242942

What a bummer! :( I was really looking forward to that series and was almost certainly going to see the game at Folsom Field.

They're just envious of the Minnesota State Fair.

I've never been to Nevada's, but my guess is that it features
radiation-influenced vegetables, artifacts from Area 51, and old
discarded poker chips.

I am sorry but the state fair affecting Gopher football is a joke and something that should not happen to a BCS program.

An even bigger joke, however, would be opening TCF agianst UNLV. Air Force is fine because it is a service academy but we really should be playing a BCS team preferably a conference rival or if non-conference, Nebraska.

I am sorry but the state fair affecting Gopher football is a joke and something that should not happen to a BCS program.

An even bigger joke, however, would be opening TCF agianst UNLV. Air Force is fine because it is a service academy but we really should be playing a BCS team preferably a conference rival or if non-conference, Nebraska.

I'm going to pose a hypothetical (but a likely one). If the contract with the State Fair was signed before the stadium bill was passed then the U's hands are/were tied. Also, keep in mind that if this is true the U was playing far far away in a teflon hellhole, the STP lots didn't matter, and UM PTS made some nice bank off the deal. When the contract is up before the 2013 season we will then be able to have games during the fair and will likely do so (the UNLV game is scheduled for opening weekend in 2013).

On the other hand, if the U made the current deal with the Fair after the stadium bill when they knew when TCF would be open...then that would be waterballoon worthy.

Games with Colorado bumped back from 2012 and 2013 to 2020 and 2021.

"CU is in the process of reworking future schedules to accommodate the CSU series. The Buffs were slated to play Minnesota in 2012 and 2013, but that series is now being pushed back to 2020 and 2021."

http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/ci_13242942

This is pretty frustrating to me, if only because I might not live long enough to make it to the game.

The U could always break the contract. They would likely be responsible for costs incurred for replacing whatever it is the contract is for (parking spots?), but it might be worth it.

Anyone know the details of this contract?

Some lovely smack going on over at the Las Vegas Sun's comments section. Only they can't handle it when some people defend Minnesota and give them back a small sample of what they are serving up. There's people yelling "get off our boards!" It's a newspaper comment section, not the UNLV message boards.

If people like living in Las Vegas, that's great. I'll stop in for a couple days every now and then, but after a few days, you've had enough.

The U could always break the contract. They would likely be responsible for costs incurred for replacing whatever it is the contract is for (parking spots?), but it might be worth it.

Anyone know the details of this contract?

Assuming they could break the contract I'm not sure they would want to...IMO it wouldn't be smart. They still want a contract with the State Fair...they just want the new contract to allow for Gopher FB parking starting in 2013. Break the current contract and future negotiations probably don't favor the U's interests (i.e. good payouts to PTS).

Unless there is an escape clause in the contract, it might not even be possible to break out of it.

The State Fair will have to work out alternative arrangements for parking when we have the first game at home. There are other park and ride lots, but these are pretty big. It will be important to inform fair goers that these lots will not be available that day, and what alternative lots people should be directed to. It will take some coordination, best to get that worked out well in advance.

Assuming they could break the contract I'm not sure they would want to...IMO it wouldn't be smart. They still want a contract with the State Fair...they just want the new contract to allow for Gopher FB parking starting in 2013. Break the current contract and future negotiations probably don't favor the U's interests (i.e. good payouts to PTS).

Many of the Park & Ride sites are closed on certain days.

Church lots have no fair parking on Sunday, this year Nova Classical had no parking on the opening day.

Unless there is an escape clause in the contract, it might not even be possible to break out of it.

Contracts can always be broken. It is only a matter of what the recourse is for the harmed party. A court can force someone to fulfill their end of a contract, but that is extremely rare and I would be shocked if a court did that here. (it's called "specific performance")

I'm still waiting for actual confirmation of this supposed contract and if it exists, what exactly does it promise?

GoAUpher - if what we are talking about really is just parking, I don't think the State Fair would get much leverage from the U breaking a contract. The U and the State Fair are very deeply in bed with the use of the St. Paul campus - this is likely a minor point in their dealings.

If there is a contract for the U to provide State Fair parking, it quite simply comes down to this: does game money made outweigh the costs of contractual remedies?

I predict: if the 2010 (or any other year) schedule comes down to having 6 home games v. breaking this supposed contract, Maturi and Bruininks will tell the State Fair "sorry" and we open at home.

Contracts can always be broken. It is only a matter of what the recourse is for the harmed party. A court can force someone to fulfill their end of a contract, but that is extremely rare and I would be shocked if a court did that here. (it's called "specific performance")

I'm still waiting for actual confirmation of this supposed contract and if it exists, what exactly does it promise?

GoAUpher - if what we are talking about really is just parking, I don't think the State Fair would get much leverage from the U breaking a contract. The U and the State Fair are very deeply in bed with the use of the St. Paul campus - this is likely a minor point in their dealings.

If there is a contract for the U to provide State Fair parking, it quite simply comes down to this: does game money made outweigh the costs of contractual remedies?

I predict: if the 2010 (or any other year) schedule comes down to having 6 home games v. breaking this supposed contract, Maturi and Bruininks will tell the State Fair "sorry" and we open at home.

I think this conversation is getting a bit off track because I had always thought that the lots that the U uses at the state fair were owned by the state fair, not the other way around. I couldn't find any confirmation of this other than this Falcon Heights map which seems to indicate that the lots are part of the state fair and not the University.
http://archive.ci.falcon-heights.mn.us/newresidents/maptest.html

I think this conversation is getting a bit off track because I had always thought that the lots that the U uses at the state fair were owned by the state fair, not the other way around.

Skoal, I think you have it backwards. The lots at issue in the contract are the ones on the east bank U campus that are part of the State Fair's park and ride network. Park in lots and ramps along the University Ave/4th St corridor and get a free shuttle ride to the fairgrounds. It's about the sweetest away-from-the-fairgrounds location available because the shuttles can flow freely along the transitway, as opposed to fighting traffic on Snelling coming in from the north or south. Parking and Transportation Services racks up a lot of parking fees on days that they would be relatively empty otherwise. From a Vegas perspective, it makes us sound like Moo Town, but the economic realities are pretty simple

Parking and Transportation Services racks up a lot of parking fees on days that they would be relatively empty otherwise.

Aren't the State Fair park and ride lots free? I thought that was the whole promotion thing - otherwise why would you park at the U rather than Rosedale Mall or somewhere?

Aren't the State Fair park and ride lots free? I thought that was the whole promotion thing - otherwise why would you park at the U rather than Rosedale Mall or somewhere?
Yes they're free. But you'd be insane to suggest the U doesn't get a cut of the profit each day. The U owns those lots, not the fair. There's gotta be a situation worked out where the parking and shuttle is free but you wind up paying for it in the end through admission or ride tickets.

Skoal, I think you have it backwards. The lots at issue in the contract are the ones on the east bank U campus that are part of the State Fair's park and ride network. Park in lots and ramps along the University Ave/4th St corridor and get a free shuttle ride to the fairgrounds. It's about the sweetest away-from-the-fairgrounds location available because the shuttles can flow freely along the transitway, as opposed to fighting traffic on Snelling coming in from the north or south. Parking and Transportation Services racks up a lot of parking fees on days that they would be relatively empty otherwise. From a Vegas perspective, it makes us sound like Moo Town, but the economic realities are pretty simple

Got it. Well, if the problem is the East Bank lots for use by the fair, my guess is that we don't really have a problem (there are plenty of other options for expanded park and ride). If however, the problem is that the U needs the use of the State Fair lots on gamedays (I'm guessing they will be heavily used), then we've got a problem with a fair-conflict game.

Got it. Well, if the problem is the East Bank lots for use by the fair, my guess is that we don't really have a problem (there are plenty of other options for expanded park and ride). If however, the problem is that the U needs the use of the State Fair lots on gamedays (I'm guessing they will be heavily used), then we've got a problem with a fair-conflict game.

This is why its good the U has 4 years to plan and adapt how gameday parking is structured to accommodate any conflicts and still allow the U to open the season at home.

Top Bottom