Colorado extends Dan Hawkins despite 4 losing seasons

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
Dan Hawkins is finishing his 4th season at CU and there was much speculation he'd get fired after failing to field a winning squad.

The closest that Hawkins' Buffs came to a winning season was a couple of years ago when they went 6-6 but lost their bowl game. (For comparison sake, Brewster's Gophers have had one winning season and could still have a 2nd in his 3rd year and have gone to bowls in 2 out of 3 years).

It looks like CU's main consideration was economics; the cost of buying out Hawkins contract and the cost of hiring better coach. For better or worse, they are sticking by their coach.

Here is the article:

Hawkins to return for fifth season
By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com

Colorado has announced that Dan Hawkins will continue to coach the Buffaloes and return for his fifth season next year.

Hawkins and his team met with Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn and Colorado chancellor Philip DiStefano Thursday morning where they were informed of his decision. The team was completing its walkthrough practice before its game Friday against Nebraska.

Hawkins' job status had come under heavy scrutiny as the Buffaloes have posted a 3-8 season, although three of their losses have come by seven points or less. They will miss a bowl trip for the third time in Hawkins' four-season tenure coaching them and were the first Big 12 team eliminated from bowl consideration.

Despite those struggles, Bohn said that Hawkins will remain Colorado's coach.

"Dan is our coach," said Bohn. "We continue to have candid, constructive discussions with each other, with campus leadership and with related constituents to review all aspects of the football program. We recognize the importance of continuity to reach our desired competitive results. We have made progress on many fronts, but fully realize the importance of improvement and growth of the program in all areas."

Several published reports indicate it would cost Colorado more than $3 million to fire Hawkins.

Hawkins' contract with CU runs through the 2012 season; he originally signed a five-year agreement when hired prior to the 2006 season, and received an extension in October 2008

Colorado Team Defense -- #72 Gophers Team Defense -- #61
Colorado Team Offense -- #108 Gophers Team Offense -- #114

I would say we are fairly close to the Colorado statistics of this year.
Their offense was slightly better than ours while our defense was slightly
better than theirs. Hawkins has been on the hotseat and probably barely
saved his job. I think Brewster hangs onto his job as well.

If Hawkins posts similar numbers next year, he will probably be ousted, and if
Brewster doesn't show improvement by year 5 these numbers will get him
fired as well. He needs to pick it up or he won't be a head coach for long.

Colorado Team Defense -- #72 Gophers Team Defense -- #61
Colorado Team Offense -- #108 Gophers Team Offense -- #114

I would say we are fairly close to the Colorado statistics of this year.
Their offense was slightly better than ours while our defense was slightly
better than theirs. Hawkins has been on the hotseat and probably barely
saved his job. I think Brewster hangs onto his job as well.

If Hawkins posts similar numbers next year, he will probably be ousted, and if
Brewster doesn't show improvement by year 5 these numbers will get him
fired as well. He needs to pick it up or he won't be a head coach for long.

Agree, Hawkins is most likely out the door next season.

Of course, his 53-11 record at Boise State probably helps the CU admins make the decision to give him one more year.

Also, the CU program was in absolute turmoil when he was hired, which may also give him more time.

I'd be surprised if Brewster is not our coach next year. How he does next year should decide his fate. Regardless, Maturi has to give him the chance to succeed (translate, conditional -- but let's not make that part public -- two year extension, same as Dienhart gave Wacker) without costing the U anything (no buyout on those two years). If Brewster won't take that, he's out. If Maturi won't give that, he really should be out. This is about the program and Maturi needs to do something to help, not hurt the football program for once.

I may be splitting hairs here, but I would not consider that extending him. To me that implies adding to his contract. They simply chose not to fire him at this time.

I may be splitting hairs here, but I would not consider that extending him. To me that implies adding to his contract. They simply chose not to fire him at this time.

My thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom