college football playoff

gopherhoopsguy

Reaction score
They have set the 13 member committee yesterday so very interesting names on it.

I hope they play the semifinals on a Saturday and final on a Saturday. It would be nice to have a big college football party.

It's says the committee will also pick the teams for the top 4 other bowl games.. the best non BCS school has to play in one of the top 6 games. I see in the future this will be more than a four team playoff since they are already picking the next 4 bowl games..

I have never watched bowl games other than the gophers but if we finally get to a real championship I have to say I would follow college football a lot closer.

They have set the 13 member committee yesterday so very interesting names on it.

I hope they play the semifinals on a Saturday and final on a Saturday. It would be nice to have a big college football party.

It's says the committee will also pick the teams for the top 4 other bowl games.. the best non BCS school has to play in one of the top 6 games. I see in the future this will be more than a four team playoff since they are already picking the next 4 bowl games..

I have never watched bowl games other than the gophers but if we finally get to a real championship I have to say I would follow college football a lot closer.

The problem is if it ends-up being like college basketball no one will pay attention until the end.

I hope they start by studying the last 15 years. Who would we have picked without knowing how the bowls turned out and when would it have been a hit and when not. It might even be ideal if they shared the results (i.e. over 15 years, 5 times we believe we'd have included a small conference school or independent, 4 times we believe we'd have included a two loss team, 9 times we'd have included a non-champion, etc.). Anything that will help schools schedule more compelling regular season schedules, I'm in favor of.

No it doesn't. They are picking the non- "BCS" bowls. The Pac 12/Big Ten would never join if they lost the Rose Bowl.

Besides picking the four teams for the College Football Playoff, the selection committee will be responsible for ranking and placing at-large teams in the noncontract New Year's Day bowls (Cotton, Fiesta and Chick-fil-A).

The committee also must select the highest ranked champion from the non-Power Five leagues (American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt), which will receive an automatic bid to one of the six bowls associated with the College Football Playoff.

I did read that wrong good catch...

Well it should be a 8 team playoff and I think it will get there sooner than later... If it was more like college basketball playoff it would have the chance of passing college basketball playoff as the number 1 most watch event in all of sports college or pros.

playoffs for college football is dumb. get ready for the worst 'National Champs' you have ever seen.

This is all a precursor tho til we have the Privates vs. the Publics in college sports. At that time, we will have the Ivies back in play for college National titles. throckmorton will be pleased.

playoffs for college football is dumb. get ready for the worst 'National Champs' you have ever seen.

This is all a precursor tho til we have the Privates vs. the Publics in college sports. At that time, we will have the Ivies back in play for college National titles. throckmorton will be pleased.

Why would you think a playoff would give a boost to the private schools? The Ivy League is in the FCS, yet they choose not to participate in the FCS tournament. If a playoff would give the private schools an advantage, we should expect to see the private schools have an advantage in the FCS.

All I will say about it is the press conference where Bill Hancock, the CFPB Executive Director, was attempting to make jokes about how 'great' the committee was that was put together. Man, it was absolutely BRUTAL. He would awkwardly laugh after making some stupid joke or comment and no one in the press room made a sound. Made me feel like the guy had no ability to communicate with other people.

This will be the mother of all controversies because the number of people on the committee is so small and their choices will not agree with the polls, which will continue. A number 8 in the polls might jump to the final four, etc. Arguably, these 13 know no more about football than the coaches in the coaches' poll or the writers (most of them in their poll). The one thing the BCS had right was merging the coaches' and AP poll, which is what they should do for the playoffs. Teams will still gripe and moan, but nothing like what will happen with this tiny elite group going against public opinion and the now 80 yr old poll system. Sports media will have a field day every year.

This will be the mother of all controversies because the number of people on the committee is so small and their choices will not agree with the polls, which will continue. A number 8 in the polls might jump to the final four, etc. Arguably, these 13 know no more about football than the coaches in the coaches' poll or the writers (most of them in their poll). The one thing the BCS had right was merging the coaches' and AP poll, which is what they should do for the playoffs. Teams will still gripe and moan, but nothing like what will happen with this tiny elite group going against public opinion and the now 80 yr old poll system. Sports media will have a field day every year.

Initially yes, but I think it slowly dies down as people realize that any poll is pointless now that they have "the committee".

Not sure what this means. Why would a team who has to beat two top tier teams back to back be considered the worst 'National Champs'?

I don't understand why they don't just use the BCS poll as it is? If it acceptable to select the top two teams, why isn't it acceptable to select the top four? Like some of said, having a committee like this can really create controversy.

Not sure what this means. Why would a team who has to beat two top tier teams back to back be considered the worst 'National Champs'?

I don't understand why they don't just use the BCS poll as it is? If it acceptable to select the top two teams, why isn't it acceptable to select the top four? Like some of said, having a committee like this can really create controversy.

The season is the playoff. Sorry to hear you hated the last 75 years of college football national championships.

The regular season hasn't been the playoff since 1968, when the poll was done after the bowls instead of after the regular season. Then we had the Bowl Coalition from 1992 to 1994. the Bowl Alliance from 1995 to 1997, and then the BCS. We've had a 2-team playoff for a long time now. This is just an expansion. A playoff doesn't indicate that anyone "hates" the previous championships.

this is the first step in finding the National Champ on the field, not by computer, sportswriters, or lamer yet Coaches. The expansion allows for error, manipulation, or ignorance. How many times did two undefeated teams not match up? Too many. The BCS was suppose to correct that and failed. This is a step in the right direction. We will get to seeding and possibly an 8 teamer in the next 10 years.

For those old enough to remember the NCAA Basketball Tournament was a second fiddle to the National Invitational. The NCAA started with 8 teams to play for the NCAA National Championship. They changed to 16 in 1951, 22-5 from 53 to 1974. There was a stipulation that only on team per conference could be selected. That changed in 1975 and 32 teams were selected. By 1979 it was 40, and 48 in 1980. 52 in 1983, 64 in 05 and now 68 or more. Now if you look back you had some Cinderella's. Loyola of Chicago beating Cincinnati. UTEP beating Kentucky. NC State over Houston. Villanova beating George Town. That is what the play off is intended to do. Each game during the season is part of the playoff. Your record, who you beat, where you won is what the committee is looking at. If you want to win the National Championship you have to earn it.

Top Bottom