College Football’s $1.9B TV Rights Opportunity

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Front Office Sports:

The College Football Playoff committee meets on Thursday to decide whether to triple the amount of teams competing for a national championship.

Rather than earning a ticket to the playoffs by winning a conference title, the new 12-team proposal includes the six highest-ranked conference champions, as well as the other six highest-ranked teams.

There would be no limit to teams from one conference.

The new format could be a huge source of revenue for broadcasters and the schools themselves.

• Navigate Research predicts the proposed playoff could be worth about $1.9 billion annually in TV rights.
  • Teams from the Pac-12, which receive roughly $9 million annually from the playoff, would receive about $27 million per school.
In line with the usual 25% viewership increase with each playoff round, Navigate projects total viewers for the new playoff could reach 183 million.

Alabama’s triumph over Ohio State in January brought in just 18.7 million viewers — the least-watched title game in CFP history. Each previous year saw an average of 28 million.

At this point, it’s unclear where media rights for the new games would land or how revenue would be directed among stakeholders.

“It’s the first step in a long process that won’t end before September,” said CFP executive director Bill Hancock.

Go Gophers!!

Would we use this money to finance the Athletes Village, pay coaches more money, or dissolve more sports to save peanuts?

One of my cranky, old white guy acquaintances has informed me that too much money is spent on college and pro football..."Too damn much TV money goes to football. It should be used for shit most people actually care about - like fishing tournaments and a professional beanbag league. I mean, who f***in' doesn't play beanbags?"

The major discrepancy between the SEC and the rest of the 'power' conferences has led to viewer apathy.
The ND mafia gets thm into the final four more oten thn they deserve only to ne embarrassed.
What will be the highest ranked conferences?
Let us presume that Clemson and AL are in.
How many SEC teams will get in by their rankings. And who or what is doing the ranking.?
So with eg AL as the #1 seed will play the lowest rated team probably from another conference. The outcome would not be in doubt. How many will watch?
Will the conference champions be seeded 1 through 6?
I still like the bowl games but greed will win out and it looks like twelve teams will be the number.
Right now win two games and you are the champion. There are less chances of injuries before the final game than there will be with a field of twelve.

Rather than earning a ticket to the playoffs by winning a conference title, the new 12-team proposal includes the six highest-ranked conference champions, as well as the other six highest-ranked teams.

There would be no limit to teams from one conference.

Pretty much worst format possible. Why not do P5 conference champs only and highest ranked G5. First round bye determination for two top seeds stickiest consideration. Perhaps in interest of alleged higher education synergy a team-wide 1-2 hour standardized academic achievement test administered mid-December, eg mini-GRE. Student athletes, after all. This would please me.

One of my cranky, old white guy acquaintances has informed me that too much money is spent on college and pro football..."Too damn much TV money goes to football. It should be used for shit most people actually care about - like fishing tournaments and a professional beanbag league. I mean, who f***in' doesn't play beanbags?"
The American Cornhole League says hello

We have a lot of uncertainties in the horizon. Change is incontrovertible.

Top Bottom