College Basketball & other sports may adopt Football redshirt rule

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
so the NCAA is considering a number of changes to rules and policies - and one of those changes could allow basketball players to appear in a limited number of games without losing a year of eligibility.

The NCAA is reportedly considering changes to the redshirt system in multiple sports and the potential elimination of the National Letter of Intent in recruiting.

Ross Dellenger of Yahoo Sports reported Sunday that documents the NCAA Division I Council is set to review during the coming week reveal possible changes in "what is expected to be a year-long comprehensive review of NCAA athlete-eligibility rules."

The redshirt changes would mean athletes in all sports and not just football and wrestling can compete in a certain percentage of games and still maintain the ability to redshirt. Football players are allowed to participate in up to four regular-season games and still count the year as a redshirt one.

according to the report, if the redshirt rule is adopted, each sport would set a limit on the number of games that could be played without losing a year of eligibility. football allows 4 games - or 1/3 of the regular season. so a similar rule for basketball could allow players up to 10 games. this would allow coaches to give younger players some game experience while retaining 4 years of full eligibility.

for smaller programs, or teams that get hit with a lot of injuries, I could see it getting used quite a bit.

I'd never really thought about it, but it's weird that it hasn't been this way before. Rare W for the NCAA committee, this seems obvious.
There is the medical redshirt rule. Bohannon did this a few years back for the Hawkeyes. It took me a while to realize when it happened that it was due to an an injury. They let him play the non conference schedule and then they shut him down.

Top Bottom