Collado vs Theret

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
We have tried blitzes all year without much success. Usually it was Theret coming on the DB blitzes. However, I think the difference besides a inexperienced QB in the Iowa game is that Collado seemed to really close fast. He has always been good in run support. He may not be a one v one corner guy. Maybe play him at strong safety with less pass responsibility and we may have something special in him.

Collado is one player that really impressed me yesterday and I have not typically been a fan of his. His hit on the RB when he blitzed in the fourth quarter was outstanding.

good tackler

He has always been good against the run and good on special teams. His weakness has been when he is one v one and sucks in for the run fake. When he makes that error the guy is open by 15 to 20 yards. I think they could devise a scheme for him not to be in so many one v one situations. I was very happy for him because he has been the whipping boy for many on this board.

Collado

Collado has done that blitz ALL year and many times and usually got picked up. For some reason, it worked against Iowa.

Didn't notice him before doing it

I guess the times I really notice the blitz was when Theret was trying it and it was always slow or clogged up.

I wish we had the luxury of using Collado as a S next year, but with the projected depth at CB he will likely be spending the majority of his time there. For being as small as he is, he can really hit and is much more aggressive than our other CBs in blitzing and run support.

If we could use him as a S, he could spend more time providing coverage support rather than being a primary coverage guy, which seems to be his weakness. He may be small to be an every-play safety, but from what we saw yesterday and on special teams this year, his aggresiveness may overcome that.

The blitzes yesterday where delayed blitzes, Colado would take a few steps in coverage then blitz. The Qb read man then would turn his head to go through his read progressions...bam, Colado was on him. Great scheme by the coaches.

Where was Cooper yesterday?? I wonder if we have such great strength at LB if he wouldn't be an outstanding safety. Sounds like he has the speed. I'm just not sold on Royston.

Where was Cooper yesterday?? I wonder if we have such great strength at LB if he wouldn't be an outstanding safety. Sounds like he has the speed. I'm just not sold on Royston.

I think Kim will be okay, statisticly he is on par or exceeded the upper echelon safties in the conference. I liked Coop last year when he played safety, I was surprised when the coaches moved him to LB. He looks good there too. It will be interesting to see what position changes (if any) the coaches make during bowl practices.

I liked Coop last year when he played safety, I was surprised when the coaches moved him to LB. He looks good there too. It will be interesting to see what position changes (if any) the coaches make during bowl practices.

Cooper is a redshirt freshman, isn't he? Did he play last year?

Didn't Iowa have 3 backup linemen in?

Wasn't Iowa's strength coming into the season 8 of 10 returning from their 2008 two deeps, all with experience? Besides, it was a backup Gopher player making the play.

You're fed up with excuses on what some provide for Brewster as a coach. That's fine, but why do you try to make excuses for some of the success that the Gophers did have?

Top Bottom