Coffey

I'm happy for him; however, in the grand scheme of things, this game didn't matter much did it? Still a nice performance and I'll keep my fingers crossed that instills confidence from the Clippers in him moving forward.

His nba career has already surpassed my expectations of him. So that’s good for him and the program

This is exactly right. A lot of us doubted whether he would ever see the floor in NBA regular season games and clearly he has done that. I think he has become a much better outside shooter and is playing good defense. My take is that he is gaining some trust from the Clippers' staff. Hope he gets a bit of playoff run!

I watched the game. Coffey certainly looked confident. His ability to drive to the rim is really what stands out. I highly doubt he sees any time in the playoffs unless the Clippers are either way ahead or way behind. Considering his two-way contract, it was pretty clear that he was limited in comparison to those other guys who are on the active roster all year. For example....on the offensive end....he did A LOT of just standing in the corner. Fortunately, he made his opportunities count.

I watched the game. Coffey certainly looked confident. His ability to drive to the rim is really what stands out. I highly doubt he sees any time in the playoffs unless the Clippers are either way ahead or way behind. Considering his two-way contract, it was pretty clear that he was limited in comparison to those other guys who are on the active roster all year. For example....on the offensive end....he did A LOT of just standing in the corner. Fortunately, he made his opportunities count.

Him standing in the corner is what is he coached to do for that team and his role. It keeps the defense spread out for others and he can knock down the 3. He has made the most of his time, I am happy for him. He is still young but has the tools to make a long career as a role player. Keep working on defense and he can be a poor mans Robert Covington.

Him standing in the corner is what is he coached to do for that team and his role. It keeps the defense spread out for others and he can knock down the 3. He has made the most of his time, I am happy for him. He is still young but has the tools to make a long career as a role player. Keep working on defense and he can be a poor mans Robert Covington.

I know. I'm not saying he was stuck in the corner because he didn't know where to go. I'm thinking that his limited role in the offense could be attributed to the fact that he's spent most of his time in the G League and not with the guys he was playing with on the NBA roster.

Amir was not one of the 12 active players for last night's Game 1.

Side note, I did not follow it closely yesterday but it's kind of cool how the NBA play-offs have a March Madness feel. 10 hours of wall-to-wall hoops.

Sid chimes in:

• Amir Coffey, former Gophers star guard, got a chance to play big minutes for the Clippers in their final regular-season game in the NBA bubble and played great. Coffey scored 21 points in 50 minutes of action to go along with four assists, four steals, two rebounds and a block. In addition, Roseville native Mike Muscala has also been getting good playing time for the Thunder in a playoff matchup with the Rockets.

Go Gophers!!

Shooter chimes in:

It looks like LA Clippers rookie Amir Coffey, who scored 21 points in an overtime victory over Oklahoma City last week, will have a better NBA career than he did for the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Sid chimes in:

• Amir Coffey, former Gophers star guard, got a chance to play big minutes for the Clippers in their final regular-season game in the NBA bubble and played great. Coffey scored 21 points in 50 minutes of action to go along with four assists, four steals, two rebounds and a block. In addition, Roseville native Mike Muscala has also been getting good playing time for the Thunder in a playoff matchup with the Rockets.

Go Gophers!!
21 pts in 50 minutes of a meaningless NBA game is exactly that! Meaningless.

Doesn't prove he will be anything.

21 pts in 50 minutes of a meaningless NBA game is exactly that! Meaningless.

Doesn't prove he will be anything.

It feels like a lot of Gopher fans want him to fail because he had the audacity to leave early. I'm not saying that you do, it's just a weird vibe I get with GH's reaction to Amir.

I don't get it. He is a local guy, legacy recruit, could have went to numerous other schools and he came here and played 3 seasons.

It feels like a lot of Gopher fans want him to fail because he had the audacity to leave early. I'm not saying that you do, it's just a weird vibe I get with GH's reaction to Amir.

I don't get it. He is a local guy, legacy recruit, could have went to numerous other schools and he came here and played 3 seasons.
There's a certain part of our population that seems to revel in MN preps/collegians falling short professionally-and germane to this discussion, it can be found in Shooter's comment, which seems to dismiss the career Coffey put together at the "U". It's almost as if anyone not completing their full eligibility (Coffey, Rick Rickert, Rashod Bateman, Daniel Oturu) brings out a base of critics who seem offended that they're aspiring for the pros. It's one thing to question readiness (which I certainly did with Rickert), but wholly another thing to seemingly want them to fail. As unlikely as it may be for an UDFA to rise to great heights in the NBA, I sure hope it happens for Coffey-I can't see any negative in regards to how it would reflect upon the "U".

Love to see him make it, just saying he hasn't yet.

What is "make it"?? Become an NBA starter? Super star?

I mean, he's already surpassed what a lot of people thought he would make it to.

What is "make it"?? Become an NBA starter? Super star?

I mean, he's already surpassed what a lot of people thought he would make it to.

My personal subjective definition would be to play around 200 games. That would equate to roughly 4-5 seasons, with a couple of million in the bank.

Yeah, I really didn't mean to aim it at you. It's hard to derive full meaning from message board posts. I just meant in general, there seems to be people who'd rather have him fail.

Playing in a game in the NBA is more than probably 90% (just guessing here) of college players will ever do, so while Amir probably doesn't feel he has yet (which is good), I think it's fair to say he's "made it" in a lot of ways. Sure, he is not set for life yet, but it's likely a given he can make good money playing basketball (hopefully mostly in the NBA) for many years to come.

Top Bottom