Coffey leading the team in scoring as a Freshman...

balds

Reaction score
Feels so much better than Humphries leading the team in scoring as a Freshman.

He is so talented, and team oriented. I don't doubt for a second that he could play all five positions if he had to, and play them well.

Hopefully he sticks around awhile especially with next year's crew.

Hopefully he sticks around awhile especially with next year's crew.

I said the same thing to my buddy when we were at the St. Johns game last Friday. He thinks Coffey will be around for at least three years. I'm a much bigger Gopher fan.....but he lives and breathes basketball. He thinks that Coffey doesn't have a natural position in the NBA yet.....and I can see why he'd say that. He has great size for a SG.....but is probably not quite quick enough to guard NBA SGs. He'll probably project as a SG/SF in the NBA. But.....he doesn't quite have the bulk as of yet to matchup with NBA SFs.

Give it a couple years.

Coffey will be a stud SF in the NBA. After he puts the Gophs on his back and carries them to the sweet 16, you all will agree with me. P.S...I can see the future

Let's hope he bulks up like his Dad, but keeps his talent and athleticism. Add all that to toughness and high IQ and he could stick around the NBA for a long time. I'll be more happy if he keeps the Gophers competitive in the B1G for the next 3-4 years.

His feel for the game is pretty solid. He knows when to drive, pass, shoot, or simply float to the corner. He excels at every said option.

I said the same thing to my buddy when we were at the St. Johns game last Friday. He thinks Coffey will be around for at least three years. I'm a much bigger Gopher fan.....but he lives and breathes basketball. He thinks that Coffey doesn't have a natural position in the NBA yet.....and I can see why he'd say that. He has great size for a SG.....but is probably not quite quick enough to guard NBA SGs. He'll probably project as a SG/SF in the NBA. But.....he doesn't quite have the bulk as of yet to matchup with NBA SFs.

Give it a couple years.

I think he could have a future in the NBA. He needs to shoot better to be a 2, and he needs to get bigger to be a 3. So he has work to do and that's a good thing for us. He'll be here for a while.

I think he could have a future in the NBA. He needs to shoot better to be a 2, and he needs to get bigger to be a 3. So he has work to do and that's a good thing for us. He'll be here for a while.

This.

Give it a couple years.

Agreed. This is nitpicking but he's still a little mechanical and slow to be an effective wing player in the NBA. I wonder if his best position in the NBA might be pg where he can use his size, passing skills and ability to anticipate effectively. The problem is that he won't get much run at the one this year or next year on the gophers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. This is nitpicking but he's still a little mechanical and slow to be an effective wing player in the NBA. I wonder if his best position in the NBA might be pg where he can use his size, passing skills and ability to anticipate effectively. The problem is that he won't get much run at the one this year or next year on the gophers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My thoughts exactly. I think his NBA future is Shaun Livingston. Not a bad future at all. Needs to get stronger regardless, but IMO he will be a PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no question that he has a future in the NBA. It will be interesting to see what position he plays, however. Right now....he's like a Swiss Army Knife.

Considering his size.....I doubt he projects as an NBA PG. I think that he could be molded into a really badass SG if he can get a little quicker....which should come with time.

My thoughts exactly. I think his NBA future is Shaun Livingston. Not a bad future at all. Needs to get stronger regardless, but IMO he will be a PG.

6'7" point guards are not very common.

It seems pretty obvious that he'll be a SF in the NBA. I don't know what else he'd play. He's about the same weight that Brandon Ingram, Otto Porter and Wiggins are right now and what Kelly Oubre was at his age.

Meanwhile, back in the NCAA, I think he'll be great for us this year. I'm particularly impressed with his ability to score the and 1. Despite his size, he manages with his height & agility to get the ball in the basket even while being bumped around. Given that he's just 19 and will likely get at the least somewhat bigger and stronger, that should be great asset.
And yes, having lived through the Humphries years - there was nothing fun about that.

Top Bottom