Coaching staff hitting Alabama hard

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Looks like the staff is on the trail of some pretty good Bama HS talent. DE/3*/6-3 226 Eric Lee USF verbal and teammate DB/3*/5-10 180 Torren McGaster, both from Daphne, will be in this weekend and have offers.

We could get visits in January from the Prattville Three all with offers; S/3*/6-3 200/Derrick Moncreif S. Miss verbal, ATH/3*/6-3 200/Jalon Whitlow Ark. State decomitt, and ATH/2*/6-2 207/DeAnte Lawrence S.Miss verbal.

Lawrence is playing in an Alabama HS All Star game and they all have decent offers to date. Fredora leaving S. Miss has these kids looking around.

It seems like the staff is intent on hitting up alot of athletic safety types, and will keep trying to get one until they commit.
We're bringing in alot of kids the next few weeks, it'd be a really good sign if Kill reels one or two of these athlete types in.

It seems like they might be flexible with the positions they end up finishing the class with. Definitely need a S, but also offering Hback, DE, DT, OT, WR, even RB prospects. That is a good sign IMO and means they aren't desperately taking a kid just because they have a need.

I think Lawrence has been playing RB but may be a SS or possiblly an OLB. It would be a coup to get these kids to decommit.

I have now completely lost it as far as recruiting. Rivals show us with 22 commits, it seems like every day we learn of another 5 or 6 prospects. We must have about 500 offers out there. I'm not sure but I don't think we have that many opennings, but I could be wrong.

Plus coach Jerry tells us that the lists on the webb are at least half wrong. In the past we signed just about what Rival had listed. This year, I'm really looking forward to the possibility of being surprised. Surprised in a good sense.

I have now completely lost it as far as recruiting. Rivals show us with 22 commits, it seems like every day we learn of another 5 or 6 prospects. We must have about 500 offers out there. I'm not sure but I don't think we have that many opennings, but I could be wrong.

Plus coach Jerry tells us that the lists on the webb are at least half wrong. In the past we signed just about what Rival had listed. This year, I'm really looking forward to the possibility of being surprised. Surprised in a good sense.

Future Doogie comment "Jerry Kill swings and misses on more than 30 recruits" story needs to be reported on more. Local media ignoring it.

Looks like the staff is on the trail of some pretty good Bama HS talent. DE/3*/6-3 226 Eric Lee USF verbal and teammate DB/3*/5-10 180 Torren McGaster, both from Daphne, will be in this weekend and have offers.

We could get visits in January from the Prattville Three all with offers; S/3*/6-3 200/Derrick Moncreif S. Miss verbal, ATH/3*/6-3 200/Jalon Whitlow Ark. State decomitt, and ATH/2*/6-2 207/DeAnte Lawrence S.Miss verbal.

Lawrence is playing in an Alabama HS All Star game and they all have decent offers to date. Fredora leaving S. Miss has these kids looking around.

The coaches seem to be living in Prattville. "Roll Tide"

Future Doogie comment "Jerry Kill swings and misses on more than 30 recruits" story needs to be reported on more. Local media ignoring it.
I am fine with him swinging and missing on more than 30 recruits, just get about 7 more who can play. He probably swung and missed on more than that if Doogie was really paying attention. As long as we have to got south and east to get speed, we will miss on a lot of players.
I still like Darrell Royal's line that it is not the kids you miss who beat you, it is the kids you get.

Being surprised in a good way is always the hope however I have found in recent years that with all the people covering recruiting and digging for information it is pretty tough to land a lot of surprises. I know on most signing days there have really only been 1-2 spots where a surprise signing might happen and more often then not it would not end up happening.

Still a long time till signing day and I am sure there will be some movement. Pretty sure that when Kill says the lists on the web are half wrong it is probably more an exaggeration meaning that some of the names are wrong but the bulk of the list is probably correct. Rivals, Scout and the other recruiting sites out there seem to be pretty accurate with their lists so I wouldn't expect a ton of changes.

Gotta love the way Kill is attacking this recruiting! He is going places he needs to in order to get the type of players he wants. I'm loving this!!!

Actually Coach Kill has made offers to 171 players including the 22 verbals to date. Seems like a lot but if he doesn't offer, then no scholarship.

I am guessing this is the same approach Coach Kill used at NIU which worked well for him.

I sure wouldn't like to get the airfare/motel/meal/car rental bills that are mounting up. Yikes!

Maybe Coach Kill should send it to Dr. Don and see how it compares to his "happy hour" bill.

Actually Coach Kill has made offers to 171 players including the 22 verbals to date. Seems like a lot but if he doesn't offer, then no scholarship.

I am guessing this is the same approach Coach Kill used at NIU which worked well for him.

I sure wouldn't like to get the airfare/motel/meal/car rental bills that are mounting up. Yikes!

Maybe Coach Kill should send it to Dr. Don and see how it compares to his "happy hour" bill.

His budget is a little bigger than mine, but we are both "happy, hour after hour"!

Gotta love the way Kill is attacking this recruiting! He is going places he needs to in order to get the type of players he wants. I'm loving this!!!

Not to be overly critical but Kill is doing the same thing as basically every other D1 coach out there right now, pounding the pavement and trying to find players. The important part is the staffs ability to evaluate the guys they are going after and to identify and then get a commitment from the ones they know can play their system. The thing this staff has going for it is that they have been together for a long time and they know what kind of players they are looking for.

The big question is can they recruit the kind of athletes they need to be successful at the B1G level. They have shown they can get the right type of players to be very good at a mid-major and below now we will find out if they can take that next step. There is a bit of an unknown even about their recruiting at NIU because most of the key seniors on that team this year were recruited by the guy who came before Kill. Will be interesting to see if they still stack up well talent wise next season.

Top Bottom