Coaching Stability

wetgopherhole

Reaction score
I was watching the Iowa game on Sat and when you watch them play its hard to believe they are the number 4 team in the nation. I mean how do they win? They certainly don't have any wild dynamic players that dominate. But I made two observations that I think should be discussed as the Brew haters call for his head the next time we lose a game.

1. Coaching stability--this was pointed out by the color guy doing the Iowa game, and it is a great point--Iowa has had up and down years since Ferentz was hired in 1998 but even during the down years Iowa has stuck with Ferentz and his coaches. They haven't changed their coaching philosophy and I think this stability really is paying off right now. (Actually this really reminds me of the way the Twins have done it).

2. Coaching mentality--As I was watching the game, and Iowa was down 21-7 in the third--I actually didn't think Indiana was going to win...why you ask? because of the way the coaches were reacting. I mean Iowa looked like poop, and their miracle season was literal falling apart in front of Ferentz's eyes,......and Ferentz looked bored! Then contrast that with Bill Lynch who looked more like a cheerleader out there than a coach....and its no wonder that the second something went wrong for Indiana and momentum finally swung in Iowa's favor...Bill Lynch looked almost depressed....which is exact what happen when Sash ran that touchdown back.

Make no doubt about it...a head coach's attitude plays an enormous role in the player's mental states during a game--and is a huge reason I thought Mase was so terrible--very similar to Lynch (Rich R. also has a problem with this).

If you were going to war--who would your rather have as a leader--a cool, calm general that nothing seems to faze him--or a general whose wears his emotions on his sleeve? I would much rather have the former.

Not to sure about Brew yet, he obviously shows alot of emotion (as do alot of winning coaches) but I feel like for teams that aren't expected to win--this could be more detrimental.

All of which makes the fact that thousands of Iowa fans were calling for the firing of Capt. Kirk's Offensive Coordinator and many were even calling for Ferentz's head a year or so ago even more unbelievable. :confused:

Gee, I wonder where Iowa's Internet fans get such a bad reputation? :eek:

I think you're dead-on with the stability issue...there are a thousand reasons why longevity helps a coaching staff bring success to a program, so I won't list them all, just say that I agree.

As for being calm on the sidelines, I think that's more of a personal style thing. "Acting like you've been there before" is obviously good, but there are pluses and minuses to both calm and passion.

I couldn't agree more with your post stewie. Like him (or them) or not, Ferentz and his staff have installed a system, maintain it consistently, and recruit and teach to that system.

That should be instructive to Gopher fans and I think it's one of the reasons Brewster took a lower base salary and insisted on having a pay structure for assistants that would allow for great assistants to be part of the Gopher program. Unfortunately, there has been a ton of turnover in the key coordinator positions and I think that has been one of the major reasons that the team has been playing in fits and starts since Brewster got here. Hopefully that's going to change.

Spend some time on a Mich St blog site and you'll see D'Antonio getting ripped apart...what 1 month after his extension.

"How do they win?"

Luck.

I think coordinator turnover and lack of depth in talent are the two main issues holding us back. Brew is dealing with the talent issue. Now lets have some coordinator stability and see what happens.

My take: experienced teams with above-average talent in key areas, depth and stability in coaching make their own "luck".

Iowa's third in the country for fewest penalties-per-game and they have had controversial calls go their way the last two weeks, including the fourth-quarter fumble on the goal line vs. MSU that wasn't even reviewed. So maybe luck isn't the right word. I'll say it before someone beats me to it - conspiracy.

Iowa's third in the country for fewest penalties-per-game and they have had controversial calls go their way the last two weeks, including the fourth-quarter fumble on the goal line vs. MSU that wasn't even reviewed. So maybe luck isn't the right word. I'll say it before someone beats me to it - conspiracy.

Hope we don't get into another "X-Files" dust-up with the mods!;)

Coaching Stability ..... I'm in favor of it.

My take: experienced teams with above-average talent in key areas, depth and stability in coaching make their own "luck".

agreed, you make ur own luck. At the end of the game, they have a belief that they will win the game. You never see them panic or get down--I mean Stanzi threw 4 int in the 3rd quarter and he wasn't throwing his helmet or freaking out.

And the 4th was prob the greatest passing quarter he has ever had.

I think this philosophy and mentality starts with the coaches and is the main reason Iowa hasn't lost in 12 games.

agreed, you make ur own luck. At the end of the game, they have a belief that they will win the game. You never see them panic or get down--I mean Stanzi threw 4 int in the 3rd quarter and he wasn't throwing his helmet or freaking out.

I think this philosophy and mentality starts with the coaches and is the main reason Iowa hasn't lost in 12 games.

You get a what--four deflection interception for a touchdown? This was when Indiana looked like it was going to score again. Indiana gets what seemed to be a TD overruled. Iowa gets a couple of quick TD's on what looked like completely broken coverage.

Iowa is solid and they're on a roll. However, the other team's mindset is just as, if not as important. We've had many a game like Indiana's. The other team gets or makes a break, and certain teams fold. It's like they say, "Here we go again," and start playing cautious not wanting to make mistakes while a team playing playing with confidence smells blood.

Give Stanzi and his teammates some credit here. They are very poised. Tate had an epic meltdown in the Dome a few years back especially after Mike Sherels picked him off in the redzone. Slapping your center upside the head is never a good idea.

wetgopherhole,
I think you hit it right on the head. Iowa may not be flashy but the reason they don't fall apart is because they know exactly what they need to do to win. Ferentz and his staff are very good at communicating to the team what they need to do to win and if they stick to it, they will win. Players understand and buy into the system and do just what they need to. It is difficult for Gopher players to do this because last year and the year before they ran a spread and then they were expected to transition into a pro-style offense without any problems. It's tough to be consistent when you've had so many systems in only three short years. Gopher fans need to give Brewster a few more years to establish what they want to do, then judge. Ferentz's record after three years was 11-24, Gopher fans should still be optimistic at this point.

The more you win, the more you believe you can win. Aren't they riding the longest D1 winning streak or something close to it?

OK, this keeps getting repeated and repeated to the point that everyone is going to start considering it truth . . . so I have to point out the error.

The fumble in the MSU game probably wasn't reviewed because Brandon Wegher RECOVERED HIS OWN FUMBLE. There screen shots posted all over the message boards last week showing Wegher handing the ball to the official at the end of the play.

The Indiana TD that was overturned I don't agree with. I think that the correct call was no TD, but I don't know that it was irrefutable, so IMO it shouldn't have been overturned. There are some links right now on HawkeyeReport to videos that most likely show it wasn't a TD, but it was close enough to me that it shouldn't have been overturned. It didn't make a difference in the game.

Top Bottom