Coaching List to consider

Elisha

Reaction score
Excuse me if there's a million list going around...Thought I'd come up with my own list...

AL Groh
Mike Leach
Phil Fullmer
Jeff Jagodzinski
Mike Bellotti..

All of these coaches were successful at Bigger programs than the U...

Excuse me if there's a million list going around...Thought I'd come up with my own list...

AL Groh
Mike Leach
Phil Fullmer
Jeff Jagodzinski
Mike Bellotti..

All of these coaches were successful at Bigger programs than the U...

Al Groh was 85-93 as a DI coach. Hire a sub .500 coach and you're likely to get a sub .500 outcome.
Mike Leach - You're on to something.
Phil Fulmer - 152 - 52 as a coach but 5-7 (3-5) including a loss to Wyoming on homecoming in his final season. He was successful early but left a mess at UT. Figure out why he left the mess and why it will be different here and you may have something. Personally I hate the idea because I think he got lazy and I don't see that changing.
Jeff Jagodzinski - 2 years of DI HC experience with a high level of success. However, he walked in to a great situation with a 1st round draft pick of a QB and didn't stay long enough to prove that it was his doing rather than the situation. More worrisome is that he was so inept in his last job as OC of the Buccaneers that he was fired prior to coaching a game.
Mike Bellotti - Great evaluator of assistant coaching talent that built a winner at a program with many of the same disadvantages as Minnesota (weak in-state talent pool, while warmer the weather still sucks).

Bellotti is my #1 choice if the Gophers go with one of the guys out of a job simply because of his ability to hire future coaches. Who is from the Fullmer tree?

Bellotti is my #1 choice if the Gophers go with one of the guys out of a job simply because of his ability to hire future coaches. Who is from the Fullmer tree?

David Cutcliffe the current HC at Duke. That is all I got.

I did find this piece (obviously from a Bama fan) interesting though:

At this point, simply put, becoming a member of a coaching staff led by Nick Saban almost guarantees an upward move in the coaching ranks.

But it does not have to be that way. Some people hold onto the notion that a natural byproduct of winning is raided coaching staffs, but history tells a slightly different story. Some programs do experience that, to be sure, but many others do not. Take Phil Fulmer, for example, and his run at Tennessee. For all of the success that program had during its peak in the late 1990's and early 2000's -- complete with a national championship and a literal NFL factory in the locker room -- few outside programs began poaching the Knoxville area looking for coaches. At the time many of those who imbibed the puke orange kool-aid wrote that off as a seemingly amazing ability of Fulmer to retain his assistants, but in hindsight what it was really telling us was that the Vols were a poorly coached team that was really just getting by mostly on raw talent. Of course, Tennessee fans eventually learned that bitter lesson the hard way, beginning with Nick Saban's upset of ungodly-talented Volunteers in the 2001 SEC Championship Game.

Simply put, some coaches win for a while, fizzle out, and fade into oblivion. Others, however, spin off countless proteges who use the lessons they learned to forge their own successful coaching careers and to carry on the influence of their mentors. Saban clearly belongs in the latter group, not the former. As his coaching tree continues to blossom, Saban's legacy and impact on the college game will only grow further.

I personally agree with this line of thinking. I view Fulmer then the same way I view Les Miles now. A good recruiter that is a poor coach. Miles got lucky by hiring Pelini to coach his defense but since Pelini left they haven't been the same and they show traits of poorly coached teams. Fulmer and Tennessee always seemed that way to me too. More talent than opponents (which he would struggle to get here) with inferior coaching.

Al Groh was 85-93 as a DI coach. Hire a sub .500 coach and you're likely to get a sub .500 outcome.
Mike Leach - You're on to something.
Phil Fulmer - 152 - 52 as a coach but 5-7 (3-5) including a loss to Wyoming on homecoming in his final season. He was successful early but left a mess at UT. Figure out why he left the mess and why it will be different here and you may have something. Personally I hate the idea because I think he got lazy and I don't see that changing.
Jeff Jagodzinski - 2 years of DI HC experience with a high level of success. However, he walked in to a great situation with a 1st round draft pick of a QB and didn't stay long enough to prove that it was his doing rather than the situation. More worrisome is that he was so inept in his last job as OC of the Buccaneers that he was fired prior to coaching a game.
Mike Bellotti - Great evaluator of assistant coaching talent that built a winner at a program with many of the same disadvantages as Minnesota (weak in-state talent pool, while warmer the weather still sucks).

Ok...what about adding these names to the list...

Mike Shula
Kevin Sumlin
Jim Leavitt
Steve Kragthorpe

Steve Kragthorpe??? Talk about running a program into a ditch. 6-6, 5-7, 4-8 (in order) while at Louisville. Who, the year before, were 12-1. He should never be mentioned, ever, as a potential candidate for our coaching position.

Virginia is not bigger than the U.

Ok...what about adding these names to the list...

Mike Shula
Kevin Sumlin
Jim Leavitt
Steve Kragthorpe

Kragthorpe was a complete disaster at Louisville. He won 5 Big East games in 3 years including a combined 2 in his last two seasons. Prior to Kragthorpe's arrival, Petrino had Louisville in the top 10.

Jim Leavitt did a good job at USF and he has ties to the midwest. However, the U isn't likely to consider him because he was fired for striking a player and then he tried to cover it up.

Sumlin is definitely a candidate.

I don't know the details behind it but Alabama had to vacate 16 wins while Shula was HC due to "textbook-related infractions." His record at Bama was 23-29 (13-19) and they have a lot more resources than we do. It is tough to judge his tenure though because he came in to a tough situation when they were reeling from scholarship losses. Personally, he isn't high on my list and if we hired him I don't know what I'd think about it.

Virginia, Boston College, Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas Tech are BIGGER than the U...

Tennessee definitely is. Oregon is now because of what Bellotti (and Phil Knight) built it in to.

Texas Tech was definitely below Minnesota prior to Leach's arrival. It remains to be seen where they end up.

BC has definitely had more recent success than Minnesota but they have their challenges that are very similar to Minnesota (NFL Metro area, light on HS football talent) and some that are unique to them (Private religious school, small enrollment).

I don't know what to think of Viriginia. I guess I'd call it on par with us. They have a better home recruiting area but they've definitely become second fiddle in state to Va Tech. It is a great academic school with little recent success in athletics.

Top Bottom