Coaching em' up

It is also my experience that the guys who most need the help are the most resistant to it. They only learn by example, and so you put your time with the most coachable types. creating the best example. It elevates the whole team.

I've met some coaches who are dicks, but most of them would do anything they could for a kid who seems eager for the help, or even just asks for it. If a kid feels he is on the outside looking in, he probably is. The cure is to step closer.

The higher the level, the more responsibilty a kid has for plugging in. Here we are talking about the highest level of amateur football. Anybody who feels they aren't included needs to look in the mirror for the reason and the solution.

So the consensus is that the underclassmen are all better then the upperclassmen, but Brewster just sacrificed wins to sit these kids down a year? Why is it that schools all across the country play true freshman then?

Look, I think Brew is bringing in players who are a step up from Masons guys, for the most part. But, thinking that the units are going to be completely improved because inexperienced RS frosh are going to start playing next season, well, i just don't think thats how its going to go.

Nor do you want it to, but then since when has bias mattered?

For those who have such a tough time accepting the truth about freshmen please look at hockey. Coaches all over the country recruit high school kids, then hold them in juniors for a year or two until the player has developed physically (he's a 20 or 21 year old true freshman) and there is a spot staked out on the roster for him. The Gopher strength coach back in the nineties (under Woog) spoke one time about the difficulty we had due to having so many kids on the team coming directly out of high school. He stated that while most other WCHA teams had the problem of bringing their hockey players down to optimum playing weight that the Gophers nearly always were trying to increase weight. Young men out of high school are not grown men. Let's wait and see what the next couple of years bring as our talented underclassmen mature. It would be nice if we could do it without taking cheap shots at the coach, players and talent level of Minnesota high school athletes.

Great post...thanks for the perspective.

I'm curious who seems to run the D side of practices more - Cos or Lee or do they each run it in tandom?

Go Gophers!!

Definitely Cosgrove ... he told me in the spring that he would be making the defensive signal-calls, and watching for that in season, that was definitely the case.

Yes, that is my opinion after watching practice and every home game this year. The reason many upperclassmen kept their job's IMO is that their experience obviously trumped the athletic ability of the younger players. An example would be Lee Campbell over Gary Tinsley...Campbell is a hard nosed tough player and I've met him personally and he is a great player and a nice kid but he certainly is not a great athlete. During the last few games of the year we had the chance to see Tinsley play because Nate Triplett got hurt. Anyone who saw Tinsley play can see that he will be a beast and our most likely replacement for Campbell next year. Our LB unit next year will include Tinsley, Cooper (already a very good player), Reeves, Singleton, Maresh, etc...(and hopefully the Nelson kid from Skyline???) We will have the speed and athleticism of many of the teams in the SEC in our LB corps IMO...Will that translate into more wins and a better D? Maybe, maybe not, but it's sure fun to have that opportunity to find out! You seem a little worried? I would be.....

Appreciate your insight. I, too, am high on Cooper and Tinsley. I think we need to be careful on the guys who have not taken any snaps, especially Maresh who hasn't taken a snap in a long time. That being said, I have to respectfully disagree on your SEC take. I'm not quite sure the Gophers LBs' athleticism and speed compares to the guys at 'Bama, LSU, Florida, Tenn., Georgia, etc. Vanderbilt and maybe Kentucky = likely YES.

It's always a bit dicey projecting guys who haven't played. I think though we have a number of options, so hopefully at least one of them will be as advertised. There are things that make MLB's great though outside of athleticism. Let's not count out the dark horses in this.

sorry but its not internet hearsay its a very credible source, eventhough the person IMO isn't the smartest person when it comes to football.

So the consensus is that the underclassmen are all better then the upperclassmen, but Brewster just sacrificed wins to sit these kids down a year? Why is it that schools all across the country play true freshman then?

Look, I think Brew is bringing in players who are a step up from Masons guys, for the most part. But, thinking that the units are going to be completely improved because inexperienced RS frosh are going to start playing next season, well, i just don't think thats how its going to go.

Wait. When we get excited about seeing more stars stuck to our recruits than we are used to, you Badger stalkers remind us that Brewster is 0-3 against you. We note that Brewster's recruits are true freshmen, redshirt freshmen and a few true sophomores, and these young guys can't be expected to turn the ship around that quickly. You tell us that doesn't matter.

Now you're warning us that we won't necessarily be improved next year with "inexperienced RS frosh" playing next season. I think we would tend to agree. Neverthelesss, I can't help but think that you'll forget your own opinion in a day or two when it suits you.

One knock I've heard about Brewster from a credible source was that he seems to have favorites on the team. In fact I heard that there are certain players he basically won't even talk to.

i have 7 or so friends who played for mason who said the same thing about him.

Thanks for the insightful posts regarding the practices and this thread was a good read. I think all us Gopher fans could use a little "good news" because outside of a few nice recruiting pickups, we have had a lot of bad news over the last month or so.

I get the feeling we are standing on a precipice and our program could go either way at this point. We are very close to becoming a good football team and taking that next step up. We are also very close to going the other way to a 3-9 season next year and I think most people can see that. Next year will be very interesting.

I nominate this as a late entry for post of the year! Thanks for the thorough report and encouraging perspective.

I agree. I was getting frustrated with this site and all the posters ripping their own program. THANK YOU!!

That being said, I have to respectfully disagree on your SEC take. I'm not quite sure the Gophers LBs' athleticism and speed compares to the guys at 'Bama, LSU, Florida, Tenn., Georgia, etc. Vanderbilt and maybe Kentucky = likely YES.

Doogie, can you qualify your statement with fact? Based on what's been said, I think the opinion of a football coach whose wellbeing revolves around the sport would be slightly more qualified than a talking head from Minnesota, where the general opinion of Minnesota football in the media is that it sucks.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was a nice change of pace to read a post about the football team instead of the usual debate we get in to here.

Doogie, can you qualify your statement with fact? Based on what's been said, I think the opinion of a football coach whose wellbeing revolves around the sport would be slightly more qualified than a talking head from Minnesota, where the general opinion of Minnesota football in the media is that it sucks.

So, do you believe that they compare to 'Bama, Fla., LSU, Tenn., and Georgia?

To be fair it goes both ways, I think it would be hard as well for people to say they are as fast as the SEC players unless they have seen those SEC players in person to compare.

Correct, but logic tells me the schools listed in my previous post have more athletic/faster LBs than MN.

I said nothing to that extent. I was asking if you could qualify your statement.

However, who is to say that they do not compare? Rivals? Scout? I would prefer to look at measurables like weight and 40 speed. If you wanted to humor me, you could compare these linebackers on other rosters to Cooper, Reeves, and Tinsley in that regard. Then compare our young linebackers' performance on field (however small the sample size) to others their age on said rosters. This would add to your credibility. Then that whole journalistic integrity thing would follow suit.

We like facts from reporters, not opinions. See the dozens and dozens of previous posts concerning Souhan and Reusse. I know you're just trying to have a conversation like any other guy or gal, but some of us will never see you as more than a media figure, especially when you post under the moniker for which you as a person are well known.

I said nothing to that extent. I was asking if you could qualify your statement.

However, who is to say that they do not compare? Rivals? Scout? I would prefer to look at measurables like weight and 40 speed. If you wanted to humor me, you could compare these linebackers on other rosters to Cooper, Reeves, and Tinsley in that regard. Then compare our young linebackers' performance on field (however small the sample size) to others their age on said rosters. This would add to your credibility. Then that whole journalistic integrity thing would follow suit.

We like facts from reporters, not opinions. See the dozens and dozens of previous posts concerning Souhan and Reusse. I know you're just trying to have a conversation like any other guy or gal, but some of us will never see you as more than a media figure, especially when you post under the moniker for which you as a person are well known.

I don't think on a message board he should have to qualify his response anymore than the OP who was not asked to qualify his statement.

this is the first time i have ever stuck up for doogie...we dont have the athletes the schools listed have-but i would love to watch alabama play minnesota in december or any other big ten school for that matter...i bet teams like florida/texas/lsu/usc would look very beatable late nov early december in big ten country

Not if you base it on tackles

Correct, but logic tells me the schools listed in my previous post have more athletic/faster LBs than MN.

Which is what I'm going to base mine on at least with one team playing for the NC. I would base on tackles and not on 40 time or anything along those lines only because tackles = production on the field IMHO.
The Gophers top 3 tacklers, all linebackers, have 167 solo tackles through 12 games.
Alabama's top 3 tacklers, 1 linebacker and 2 DB's, have 132 solo tackles through 13 games.
Their other linebacker that made any significant impact only had 26 solo tackles through 13 games.
IMHO, yea our linebackers are better. Hope this helps.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2009-2010/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204793185

Which is what I'm going to base mine on at least with one team playing for the NC. I would base on tackles and not on 40 time or anything along those lines only because tackles = production on the field IMHO.
The Gophers top 3 tacklers, all linebackers, have 167 solo tackles through 12 games.
Alabama's top 3 tacklers, 1 linebacker and 2 DB's, have 132 solo tackles through 13 games.
Their other linebacker that made any significant impact only had 26 solo tackles through 13 games.

Tackles can be deceiving as you presented them because Alabama for instance has a better d-line than the gophers and they may make more tackles before the running back even gets to the linebackers. They may also have more 3 and out stops so less opportunities for tackles. Also tackles does not necessarily correlate directly to speed which is what Doogie was talking about.

Tackles don't mean much. like some other poster said, too many variables. Many times over the years the safeties have led the gophers in tackles. All it means was the d line and linbackers did not make the play and the safety was there to fall on the ball carrier. MLB's lead teams in tackles because ball carriers run up the middle into their arms.

As a guy who is a huge Big 10 fan and lived in SEC country for years, I can see the point both sides are making. I don't think it is accurate to say that the Gophers LB's are "better" than Alabamas or anything like that. I think what the poster was saying is that the Gophers LB corp is Sec-esque. That I would completely agree with.

I would imagine that the LB corp of : (Cooper - Tinsley - Reeves) is about as fast as any LB corp in the country. I am not saying they are as good or anything like that, but I would have a hard time believing that the LBs at Kentucky are quicker than the LBs here (from actually watching them).

Fantastic Post/Thread.

People have been focusing on the physical part of redshirting. Don't forget the mental aspect which was the prominent point in another fantastic thread a month or two ago that discussed the change in offense caused many mental struggles all year that never really got worked out. The body is still growing at age 18 as is the brain. Everyone knows that taking classes and learning things is usually easier as you're older (a senior versus a freshmen). I'm an old fart in the part time MBA program and classes are significantly easier for me then those who are 10 years younger then I am, and the people I'm comparing myself against are further along then I was at their age.

Doogie, can you qualify your statement with fact?

Our Linebackers are excellent. That's my opinion. The equal of even Alabama's linebackers. JMO

But please, why does Doogie have to qualify his opinion with "facts" (I bet we can all find some facts somewhere to backup whatever our opinion is) just because it's contrary to mine.

That's what this message board is all about...opinions. I think it's good to back up ones opinion but not everybody does nor should they have to.

I'm positive our linebackers are better than Iowa State's linebackers but I have no facts to back that statement up. Watch on Dec. 31st and you will see that I am absolutely correct.

What a profound statement Doogie

Quite frankly the teams you listed could blanket every team in the Big Ten.:rolleyes:

You can have the best and fastest LB in the country and if the D-line can't keep people off him, he will not look like much!

Top Bottom