Coaches on the hot seat?

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
I should start by saying this stems from an article on The Athletic discussing if Harbaugh is on the hot seat at Michigan. They think he is, but won't lose his job for a variety of factors. I think these apply to nearly every school in the country, barring a major scandal.

1. Can the schools afford to pay the buyout? Tough to give $10 million for someone to leave when athletic departments are allegedly bleeding money.
2. If other schools aren't firing coaches, you'd have to pay the buyout for your new coach, most likely.
3. Does this season really reflect your program? I get bad teams may stay bad and good teams may stay good but if you're missing multiple starters due to Covid, or have guys sitting out, or other uncertainty, its hard to say the coach is to blame

Finally, I kind of see it like basketball. Plenty of coaches would have been fired had the season ended as planned (Pitino possibly included) but this year is such a mess its hard to expect schools to make decisions like this.

Anyone care to weigh in on Harbaugh or other potential changes?

I would find it really hard to take too much hot seat seriously this year unless you really wanted to fire them last year anyway.

This is too odd a year.

Top Bottom