Coach Thorson breaks down the roster: Gophers Hoops Boasts ‘Junkyard Dog’

on TT - last year, when the Gophers lacked size, it was more glaring to see a 6'11" kid out on the perimeter.

but, with more size and bulk available this season, TT does not have to try and fill a role he's not suited for.

I see TT as a stretch-4 type -- a guy who mainly works on the outside and shoots a lot of 3's. If he can go in and bang a little and grab a few boards, great.

I just don't think that's ever going to be "his game." and that's fine. let him be who he is - not who some fans want him to be.

on TT - last year, when the Gophers lacked size, it was more glaring to see a 6'11" kid out on the perimeter.

but, with more size and bulk available this season, TT does not have to try and fill a role he's not suited for.

I see TT as a stretch-4 type -- a guy who mainly works on the outside and shoots a lot of 3's. If he can go in and bang a little and grab a few boards, great.

I just don't think that's ever going to be "his game." and that's fine. let him be who he is - not who some fans want him to be.
If you are 6’11” you have to have some inside game, grab some rebounds.

His per 40 aren't atrocious. If you're 6'11", by almost default you'll grab some rebounds and alter some shots. If he puts on a little bit of weight, I think he could definitely grow into a contributor.

why?

the coach's job is to figure out what a player is good at - and what he's not good at.

If TT is not a banger, then don't ask him to be a banger.

sure, he can probably add some bulk, but I just don't think he's ever going to be a traditional post player. and that's fine, as long as he can contribute in other ways - and as long as the team has other players to get those rebounds and provide some inside game. which the Gophers now have with Payne and Fox, among others.

why?

the coach's job is to figure out what a player is good at - and what he's not good at.

If TT is not a banger, then don't ask him to be a banger.

sure, he can probably add some bulk, but I just don't think he's ever going to be a traditional post player. and that's fine, as long as he can contribute in other ways - and as long as the team has other players to get those rebounds and provide some inside game. which the Gophers now have with Payne and Fox, among others.
It’s not about being a banger. Getting stronger and putting on some muscle will certainly help. He doesn’t have to average a double double to help the team. But rebounding takes effort and positioning. Surely he can be better at positioning and make maximum effort to grab some boards.

It’s not about being a banger. Getting stronger and putting on some muscle will certainly help. He doesn’t have to average a double double to help the team. But rebounding takes effort and positioning. Surely he can be better at positioning and make maximum effort to grab some boards.
There were times last year where TT showed a competitive attitude. But he didn't have the body to back it up. I don't believe effort will not be an issue for TT. Sure he probably prefers being a floater but I think he will do what he can to contribute and having a stronger and more mature frame will help.

There were times last year where TT showed a competitive attitude. But he didn't have the body to back it up.

As a number of people have mentioned, this is a mental as well as physical issue. Chris Boucher was something like 6'9" and less than 190 lbs in college but he was very effective inside. Chet Holmgren was listed at 7 foot and 195 lbs. this season and he averaged 14.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. TT averaged 5.8 per 40 minutes; among the scholarship players, that average was only above Willis, Stephens, and Thiam.

As a number of people have mentioned, this is a mental as well as physical issue. Chris Boucher was something like 6'9" and less than 190 lbs in college but he was very effective inside. Chet Holmgren was listed at 7 foot and 195 lbs. this season and he averaged 14.7 rebounds per 40 minutes. TT averaged 5.8 per 40 minutes; among the scholarship players, that average was only above Willis, Stephens, and Thiam.
Chet has a rebounder's mentality. He fights for the spot on the floor using agility.

Top Bottom