Coach Kill: Sports Huddle 8/28/11

DL65

Reaction score
Today's Sports Huddle was live at the Minnesota State Fair and Duane Bennett, Kim Royston, and Marqueis Gray were guests with coach Kill. The players were staying after the first half-hour segment and would be interviewed further. Comments from first segment:

1) USC: Tremendous tradition, program with great athletes. The key to the game: Worry (focus on) about our youngsters and come prepared to play the game.

2) Team depth: Depth is always a problem for all teams. . . . long season . . . never know when an opportunity will come . . . our job is to prepare and grow the players so they are prepared when an opportunity to play arises.

3) Kill's comments related to Bennett, Royston and Gray: Duane Bennett and Marqueis have done a great job in leading the team through the summer. To great laughter when he talked about Royston, "We're about the same age." Kim has gone through adversity and we need his leadership and he's stepped up to provide that important team ingredient. Kim has gotten after people whenever he's needed to.

4) The players introduced themselves: Duane Bennett graduated last spring with a major in sociology. He's currently in graduate school. He's from St. Louis, Mo and is a fifth year senior.
Kim Royston is from MInneapolis. He graduated last spring and seeking his master's degree in Sports Management. Marqueis Gray is from Indianapolis, IN and is on course to graduate next spring with a degree in Youth Studies.

5) Overcoming adversity: Royston - went up for an interception in spring ball 2010 and when he came down a bone was sticking out his leg. He didn't want to become a victim . . . granted a sixth year . . . wants to be a leader and is not taking anything for granted.
Bennett - tore his ACL in a game against Bowling Green in his sophomore season. Didn't want to be a victim . . . has gained experience and insight because of the adversity (injury).
Gray - suffered an wrist injury in the second game of his senior season and didn't play until a playoff game. Grateful for the chance to lead the team as a QB. in response to Sid's question about next week's game with USC, is more anxious than pressure . . . loves to compete . . . feels that is how the team and coaching staff is looking toward the game with the Trojans. (President Kaler is going out with the team - was said in the second segment).

6) Kill comments: "It's Minnesota's (state) team." They support us, they come to the stadium . . . we have great fans and great passion. We have to give them a great team and product and play with passion.

7 We've had a tough training camp . . . day off today and then back on the field preparing for Saturday's game. Key to team's success is stability. The team has had too much of a revolving door syndrome. We have great assistant coaches that have been together for a long time. Successful programs/organizations don't have revolving door of leaders.

8) Next week's game: Kill said he is a follower of Paul "Bear" Bryant." Bryant said, "Sooner or later you've got throw them out there and see what we've got." That's how they're looking at the upcoming game. He went on to say that all the games are important and they are striving to get better each day.

Sid, during the segment, spoke positively about the team and players. He said they're kids, and then proceeded to criticize fellow sports writers (geniuses) that rip the kids. They're kids that struggle to meet the demands in the classroom and the practice fields. He held the three guests (Royston, Bennett, and Gray) up as what's good about college football.

Go Gophers!!

Kill also was on Sunday Sermons with Barreiro today.

Sid, during the segment, spoke positively about the team and players. He said they're kids, and then proceeded to criticize fellow sports writers (geniuses) that rip the kids. They're kids that struggle to meet the demands in the classroom and the practice fields. He held the three guests (Royston, Bennett, and Gray) up as what's good about college football.

Good for you Sid! Thanks again DL! Much appreciated....

Good for you Sid! Thanks again DL! Much appreciated....
The players are no longer "kids" and people need to stop treating them as such.

I'm 46 years old and I now realize that they are indeed still kids. Kids with a lot of responsibility. But still kids.

I'm 46 years old and I now realize that they are indeed still kids. Kids with a lot of responsibility. But still kids.

Amen, but never argue with a guy like Ski U Master, who is still just a kid himself. That is why he, amongst others, are know-it-alls.

It's cool if you graduated high school and came into the real world at age 18 completely 100% ready to handle any possible situation life could ever throw at you - congrats - but that is not the case for the vast majority of people. These KIDS deal with a lot of pressure and have many things on their plate. I don't see the point of tearing them down rather than supporting and cheering them on. I agree with above posters and Sid that the three young men representing Gophers at the fair do so very well.

It's cool if you graduated high school and came into the real world at age 18 completely 100% ready to handle any possible situation life could ever throw at you - congrats - but that is not the case for the vast majority of people. These KIDS deal with a lot of pressure and have many things on their plate. I don't see the point of tearing them down rather than supporting and cheering them on. I agree with above posters and Sid that the three young men representing Gophers at the fair do so very well.
I didn't say anything about tearing the players down, but people need to stop coddling them. College is hard, life is hard.

I didn't say anything about tearing the players down, but people need to stop coddling them. College is hard, life is hard.

WTF?

Treating as kids? Coddled?

Seen much CBFB up close? Seen Kill at work?

I'm baffled by these comments...

The University feels the need to charge $50-$65 a game to watch these "kids." For that kind of money, criticism is fair game.

The University feels the need to charge $50-$65 a game to watch these "kids." For that kind of money, criticism is fair game.

Yes. The UNIVERSITY charges $$ per game, so for that money criticism of the UNIVERSITY is fair game.

I'm ok with fair critiquing of our players. But to rip them as many have ripped Weber and a few others? Almost all of it is unwarranted. Of course there ARE exceptions for obvious reasons (Jew Jew Party).

I try to treat players on forums as if they are next to me when I critique them.

Another internet Minnesotan with the "If everyone else doesn't have it as bad as I did then they don't have it bad enough" mentality. There seems to be a lot of those out around here nowadays... I'm lookin at you, Moses thread.

It may have been covered elsewhere, but has Kill established good ties to the HS coaches in the state? He seems like a very good hire for Minnesota - team infrastructure based on work, not hot air. I loved his comment about stability of the coaching staff; college isn't like the NFL where you can have a 10 year veteran give you continuity when a new coach comes in. Parents want to know their kids will play in the system/coach that recruited them.

It may have been covered elsewhere, but has Kill established good ties to the HS coaches in the state?

Yes. Brewster was an improvement in that department over Mason, and Kill has been an improvement over Brewster. All the quotes I read last spring from high school coaches regarding coach Kill were very positive.

I try to treat players on forums as if they are next to me when I critique them.

An excellent policy to have. However, some of our internet anonymous tough guys wouldn't have anything to say if a player was right next to them. Then we would miss out on the, "This isn't junior high ...," and, "I pay such and such a price for my ticket so ..." responses and think of how much poorer we would be for it.

Yes. The UNIVERSITY charges $$ per game, so for that money criticism of the UNIVERSITY is fair game.

I'm ok with fair critiquing of our players. But to rip them as many have ripped Weber and a few others? Almost all of it is unwarranted. Of course there ARE exceptions for obvious reasons (Jew Jew Party).

That's why I prefer not to remain anonymous...it's keep me on the up and up.

Some folks would never write some of the things they do if folks knew who they are. You may choose to be anonymous but you should never write something you wouldn't if you chose not to.

These are not kids. They may act like children, but they are not kids. They are of an age that can do anything but drink and run for president. Other than that, they are adults. Our society has to stop cuddling these young men.

These are not kids. They may act like children, but they are not kids. They are of an age that can do anything but drink and run for president. Other than that, they are adults. Our society has to stop cuddling these young men.

Can't run for any public office, actually. (EDIT: I was wrong, you can run for mayor at 18)

As an 18 year old myself, I would say that just because the law says being 18 makes you an adult, does not mean you are an adult. It's not like, on you're 18th birthday you suddenly are mature enough to be able to handle every situation in life. I can say for certain I am not mature enough to handle every situation life can throw at me. I can't think of very many people that I know that are in college are people I would call "adults"

They're kids. And how is society cuddling (coddling) them?

That's why I prefer not to remain anonymous...it's keep me on the up and up.

Some folks would never write some of the things they do if folks knew who they are. You may choose to be anonymous but you should never write something you wouldn't if you chose not to.

Exactly why my user name is my last name. =)

The main question in this thread isn't should these ki.....err....."young adults" be coddled, it's how in the world would anyone consider any of these people to be coddled?

How? Show me an example?

I think we all feel that since they aren't professionals and they are still pretty young people, there is no need for the criticisms to be personal or petty.

For example.....saying "Player A is really having a tough game" or "Player B is not ready to play a lot"....is perfectly fine. Something like "PLayer B is a loser" isn't.

I don't think that line is very difficult to draw, regardless of if you paid for tickets or had it rougher at 18 years old. Mr. Royston could probably tell you that he has no problem (might not be the easiest thing) to hear people fairly criticisize his son's play.

Your definition of "kids" isn't the real issue here. They are college athletes playing for the University of Minnesota. Just because Adam Weber, Jeff Wills, Maverick Ahanmisi, Rodney Williams, etc. received a scholarship, he or his family shouldn't be subjected to some of the brutal comments you could have found about them on GH. It's a Gopher fan site that supposedly supports Gopher athletics. Nobody is saying you can't criticize, but you also shouldn't get free rein to say whatever you want without any thought other than to vent your frustrations. If you simply want to do that, go join some of the low-life that populate the Press and Tribune comment sections.

I doubt an appeal to be simply decent will dissuade you, but you can bet recruits and their families and friends look at these forums. Got to think the toxicity and meltdowns following a loss around here ain't exactly a selling point to a recruit. Also, kid or not, these people are under a lot of pressure to produce. Your brutal comments here in no way will ever help them to perform better. I think it would be safe to say, however, that it could add to the pressure and make them perform worse.

Don't know if it's the same everywhere since I don't monitor other colleges to report on their level of idiocy. There's enough to be found here.

Top Bottom