Coach Kill speech at Alumni Center today, mentions "big recruit in town"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Coach Kill gave yet another rousing speech today - this time to a stuffy business crowd of 500+ at the Alumni Center. He did his well rehearsed self-deprecating humor and also did a fantastic job of tying him building a successful program to the attributes of building a successful business. Anyway, twice during the speech he mentioned how he wish he could bring his "big recruit" that he had visiting today to show him all of the Fortune 500 companies in attendance at the event today, but couldn't due to NCAA restrictions. He again mentioned how beautiful the weather had been but the one day we have a "big recruit" in town the weather turns bad.

Of course he didn't say who the recruit was. And of course he had the crowd eating out of his hand by the end of the speech.

Go Gophers!!

Are you a stuffy business guy (or girl) bleed? :rolleyes:

Either way cool story. Obviously it would be fun to know who the big recruit was. But I think it's also good to know that Kill is making his way around with the big business crowd in the city. Having them on our side couldn't hurt.

See Fudge thread. Wondering if it's the guy from OSU? Sporting News had a story about him.

See Fudge thread. Wondering if it's the guy from OSU? Sporting News had a story about him.

I didn't see any mention of this in the Fudge thread, but it will definitely interest some on here. Apparently a big recruit (not sure if this is the same person that Kill was talking about, but it probably is) that was in town visiting is current OSU center Brian Bobek.

These are the tweets from our very own @gopherhole

Ohio State C Brian Bobek may transfer to a diff #B1G school and it could be the #Gophers. Hopefully his visit goes well. Keep an eye on it.

Bobek was the 3rd ranked center nationally out of HS and signed with Ohio State over Purdue and Michigan State.

Profile from OSU website.

Skilled offensive lineman who was a three-year starter for Coach Mike Donatucci at Palatine's Fremd High ... U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... Parade, RivalsHigh and Scout.com All-America ... first team all-state from Chicago Tribune, Champaign News Gazette, Rivals, Daily Herald ... Chicago Sun-Times all-area and Daily Herald all-area ... Daily Herald Cook County 2010-11 Athlete of the Year ... conference champion in shot put and discus ... honor roll ... son of Jeff and Terri Bobek ... father was an Iowa linebacker and mother played women's basketball for the Hawkeyes ... brother Jeff is a Michigan State fullback.

Sounds like we'd be very lucky to land him!

Sure sounds like Michigan State and Iowa would be the Gophers' main competition for Bobek.

Sure sounds like Michigan State and Iowa would be the Gophers' main competition for Bobek.

I'd say if he's planning on transferring he's going to want to go somewhere where he feels strongly confident he will start when eligible. If that's true about him, then I'd say its a strong possibility he chooses MN

I didn't see any mention of this in the Fudge thread, but it will definitely interest some on here. Apparently a big recruit (not sure if this is the same person that Kill was talking about, but it probably is) that was in town visiting is current OSU center Brian Bobek.

These are the tweets from our very own @gopherhole

Ohio State C Brian Bobek may transfer to a diff #B1G school and it could be the #Gophers. Hopefully his visit goes well. Keep an eye on it.

Bobek was the 3rd ranked center nationally out of HS and signed with Ohio State over Purdue and Michigan State.

Profile from OSU website.

Skilled offensive lineman who was a three-year starter for Coach Mike Donatucci at Palatine's Fremd High ... U.S. Army All-American Bowl ... Parade, RivalsHigh and Scout.com All-America ... first team all-state from Chicago Tribune, Champaign News Gazette, Rivals, Daily Herald ... Chicago Sun-Times all-area and Daily Herald all-area ... Daily Herald Cook County 2010-11 Athlete of the Year ... conference champion in shot put and discus ... honor roll ... son of Jeff and Terri Bobek ... father was an Iowa linebacker and mother played women's basketball for the Hawkeyes ... brother Jeff is a Michigan State fullback.

Sounds like we'd be very lucky to land him!
Isn't he currently the third string center at OSU (which would be why he is transferring)?

From what I've read, he is and has been a great player, but he doesn't fit with Meyer's scheme, as Meyer likes bigger o-linemen at all positions including C. Most assumed he would pick up the mantle after 4-year starter Mike Brewster graduated last year, but when Meyer took over he went from presumed starter to 3rd-string, seemingly for little reason other than his weight (275-280). For example, his 2 most-recent starting centers at Florida were the Pouncey twins, who are both over 300 lbs. (and Maurkice an especially big C at ~320), bigger for centers than most college football coaches like. If Bobek transferred here, he would almost certainly immediately become the best o-lineman and would start as soon as eligible. He would also have 3 years of eligibility left beginning in 2013.

My guess is that he will transfer to Michigan St. (his runner-up out of HS), but I would absolutely love to be wrong.

From what I've read, he is and has been a great player, but he doesn't fit with Meyer's scheme, as Meyer likes bigger o-linemen at all positions including C. Most assumed he would pick up the mantle after 4-year starter Mike Brewster graduated last year, but when Meyer took over he went from presumed starter to 3rd-string, seemingly for little reason other than his weight (275-280). For example, his 2 most-recent starting centers at Florida were the Pouncey twins, who are both over 300 lbs. (and Maurkice an especially big C at ~320), bigger for centers than most college football coaches like. If Bobek transferred here, he would almost certainly immediately become the best o-lineman and would start as soon as eligible. He would also have 3 years of eligibility left beginning in 2013.

My guess is that he will transfer to Michigan St. (his runner-up out of HS), but I would absolutely love to be wrong.

According to this article if he transfers within the Big 10, he would only have two years eligibility left.

The Big Ten previously had a rule that would forbid an intraconference school from providing scholarships to transfers. That has now been lifted, so Bobek would not have to finance his own education. However, he would lose a year of eligibility if he leaves for another Big Ten school and would have only two years, instead of three, remaining.

According to this article if he transfers within the Big 10, he would only have two years eligibility left.

Hmm. I'm not sure their interpretation of the rule is correct. He played at OSU last year (his true freshman year), so as of this moment, if he stayed at OSU, he'd have 4 years to play 3. Obviously, he would redshirt his transfer year wherever he goes, meaning he would have 3 years to play 3. For their interpretation to be correct, that would mean he would also be penalized an additional year on top of the year he is already penalized for sitting out to transfer. That could be correct, but I don't think it is.

I believe it's part of the new intraconference transfer rules.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../58173/big-ten-makes-changes-to-transfer-rule

The new rule, adopted for this current academic year, allows a player to receive the aid, but he would have to sit out the NCAA-required one-year in residence and lose a season of eligibility.

Looks like there is a clause however:
1. Exception - Complete Release by Signing Institution. If the Big Ten institution at which the prospective student-athlete originally signed the NLI grants a "Complete Release" from the NLI, the prospect shall be permitted to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.

but he would have to sit out the NCAA-required one-year in residence and lose a season of eligibility

I take that to mean simultaneously - sit out the one year while losing a season of eligibility at the same time, i.e., the season of eligibility you would lose anyway. Their interpretation is that you lose one year from the season-in-residence, and an additional year of eligibility. That's not how I read the rule at all, but I could be wrong. For example, if their interpretation is correct, Jarrod Uthoff would only have two seasons of eligibility at Iowa beginning in 2013. However, every article I read on the transfer all said that he will have 3, which would be correct according to my interpretation. Obviously, one or the other is wrong. I'm not sure whether it's mine or theirs.

I take that to mean simultaneously - sit out the one year while losing a season of eligibility at the same time, i.e., the season of eligibility you would lose anyway. Their interpretation is that you lose one year from the season-in-residence, and an additional year of eligibility. That's not how I read the rule at all, but I could be wrong. For example, if their interpretation is correct, Jarrod Uthoff would only have two seasons of eligibility at Iowa beginning in 2013. However, every article I read on the transfer all said that he will have 3, which would be correct according to my interpretation. Obviously, one or the other is wrong. I'm not sure whether it's mine or theirs.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, if a player has a redshirt to burn he essentially only loses 1 year of playing eligibility including the penalty of inconference transfers. If said player has already used his redshirt at his first school, then transfers within the conference, he would have to lose two years of onfield eligibility.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, if a player has a redshirt to burn he essentially only loses 1 year of playing eligibility including the penalty of inconference transfers. If said player has already used his redshirt at his first school, then transfers within the conference, would have to lose two years of onfield eligibility.

No, he would lose one either way. If a player hasn't redshirted, he comes in with 4 to play 3, and would thus end up with 3 to play 3 after redshirting his transfer season. If he has redshirted, he comes in with 4 to play 4, and would thus end up with 3 to play 3 after not redshirting his transfer season.

Let's hope. Then Shaft could potentially move over and play both guard spots. Just looking at the roster, I'm really starting to like the depth of our O-line, long term. There's a lot of competition.

No, he would lose one either way. If a player hasn't redshirted, he comes in with 4 to play 3, and would thus end up with 3 to play 3 after redshirting his transfer season. If he has redshirted, he comes in with 4 to play 4, and would thus end up with 3 to play 3 after not redshirting his transfer season.

I get what your saying now. Hopefully that is the case, I would love to have several Buckeyes come to the U for as many years as possible!

The NC$$ and it's rules are unnecessarily confusing at times. I played college football in the late 90's and I don't have a clue on how alot of the rules regarding transfers and eligibilities actually read or have changed.

I believe it's part of the new intraconference transfer rules.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../58173/big-ten-makes-changes-to-transfer-rule

Looks like there is a clause however: 1. Exception - Complete Release by Signing Institution. If the Big Ten institution at which the prospective student-athlete originally signed the NLI grants a "Complete Release" from the NLI, the prospect shall be permitted to enroll at any other Conference institution without penalty.

I don't think Urban Meyer is the charitable type to do such a thing. However, with the new division split, the intraconference rule is less relevant because OSU does not play the U or MSU in 2013 or 2014 (when he would be eligible to play).

If he transferred in now, he wouldn't count as a scholarship until next year, right?

I guess my question would be - would Kill refer to a possible transfer as a recruit?

Fingers crossed it is Marquez North!

If he transferred in now, he wouldn't count as a scholarship until next year, right?

According to my understanding of the new transfer rule, if they transfer within the Big Ten (unless they receive a full release, which is rare), they must pay their own way during their transfer year, and then they can be on scholarship during their first year of eligibility. If my understanding is correct, then yes, he wouldn't count until next year.

[sarcasm]P.S. We're not supposed to care about these sorts of things, dont'cha know? The coaches have it figured out.[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]P.S. We're not supposed to care about these sorts of things, dont'cha know? The coaches have it figured out.[/sarcasm]

That was so funny, dpo! You can care all you want...it just has no bearing or influence on anything scholarship number related. Ever. That's my point.

That was so funny, dpo! You can care all you want...it just has no bearing or influence on anything scholarship number related. Ever. That's my point.

You can care about the Gophers winning or losing all you want...it just has no bearing or influence on whether they actually win or lose. Ever.

Top Bottom