Coach Hahnstadt Reacts to PJ Fleck's Minnesota Offense

hungan1

Reaction score
This is a good analysis of PJ Fleck's Gopher Offense by Jason Hahnstadt - Football Coaching Brotherhood, August 11, 2020.

"PJ Fleck simplified the Gopher Offense..., often difficult to defend against..." You either get Mo through an open seam, or you get a sizable play by a wide receiver on a Defense coverage lapse. The Gophers' OL have become big, agile, and strong. They learned to gel together through failures in the 2018 season.

"In this video I dive deep into studying the Minnesota Offense that PJ Fleck has designed. I found out that Fleck loves to balance his run offense with play action using max protections to insure his QB has time to throw. Fleck also uses RPO's and screens to mix in the diversity of plays and keep the defense on their toes."

Last edited:

Good line protection is the biggest thing I took away from this. Fleck has always said his offense, mostly RPO based, is simple...a group of basic plays run from different sets to confuse/expose the defense.

Nobody complains at RUTM when Mo gets 4+ yards, which happens pretty often in Fleck's offense.

Yep.

That was a really good offense that we had.

In 2019 vs Penn St.

Yep .....

I hear the guy who ran that, is looking for a job.

Good line protection is the biggest thing I took away from this. Fleck has always said his offense, mostly RPO based, is simple...a group of basic plays run from different sets to confuse/expose the defense.
Only thing I wish we did more of is more mis-direction/"pull around" type of run plans. I can't say for sure, but I feel like we mostly only run zone blocking schemes. In other words, every OL (and TE) blocking down in the same direction.

Plays where some OL pull around other linemen that are down blocking in the opposite direction of the play, would give a lot different look and feel. But, it's another thing to practice, and another set of techniques to master.

When they do good game planning adapted to opponents D, they are very effective. The shifting linemen trapping the key Auburn Defenssive Tackles and Linebackers was beautiful to watch.

The 2019 Wisconsin game not so much. They let their guard down after all the euphoria of being undefeated.

They came within a field goal in OT in the Wiscy lose in the Covid-19 discombobulated season.

They are able to beat Nebraska at Memorial Stadium with 33 players missing.

Where am I going with this? I can't help but get excited for next season for both the Offense and the Defense.

We are seeing Year Four program stability we always craved for with a disciplined team and adaptable game planning.

Somewhere in one of PJ Fleck's interviews, he said that in the beginning, players were told what to do. Coaches were the leaders. In the latter stages of the rebuilding of the team under RTB culture, players bought in and the players lead.

Don't they have player leadership councils for each position group, and for the entire team?

Great things happen on the playing field when players lead and remained disciplined as a team.

I think that they are getting close to getting legitimate Top 20s recruiting classes if they have a good/great 2021 season.

Last edited:

When they do good game planning adapted to opponents D, they are very effective. The shifting linemen trapping the key Auburn Defenssive Tackles and Linebackers was beautiful to watch.

The Wisconsin game not so much. They let their guard down after all the euphoria of being undefeated.

They came within a field goal in OT in the Wiscy lose.

Where am I going with this? I can't help but get excited for next season for both the Offense and the Defense.

We are seeing Year Four program stability we always craved for with a disciplined team and adaptable game planning.

Somewhere in one of PJ Fleck's interviews, he said that in the beginning, players were told what to do. Coaches were the leaders. In the latter stages of the rebuilding of the team under RTB culture, players bought in and the players lead.

Don't they have player leadership councils for each position group, and for the entire team?

Great things happen on the playing field when players lead and remained disciplined as a team.

I think that they are getting close to getting legitimate Top 20s recruiting classes if they have a good/great 2021 season.
I have an answer that may help answer all of your questions:

the other team makes a plan and tries to win too

The Wisconsin game not so much. They let their guard down after all the euphoria of being undefeated.

They came within a field goal in OT in the Wiscy lose.

I’m much more excited to see what our offense is going to do next season. This will be the most experienced offensive line we have had in many, many years. We also have two very good linemen returning that did not participate in 2020. Mo (if he stays healthy) has the potential to have an absolutely monstrous season.

The defense still has a lot to prove.

Top Bottom