Clock Management Question

bleedsmaroonandgold

Reaction score
We were down 14 points, with three timeouts, 70 seconds left on the clock, and kicking off to start the second half. Does anyone think that Claeys believes running down the clock gave us the best chance to win, or was he already playing just to make the final score look close before we got to the half?

+1000

how was this acceptable. We had nothing to lose in this game-- why we didn't do more to create chances. I remember punting on 4th and 2 at I think the beginning of the 4th

This was definitely the most disappointing part of the game for me. You need to show confidence in that situation and try to get some points. Made no sense to close out the half the way they did.

I don't complain a lot about the coach's decisions, but I agree. It just says we don't have the confidence in our team to make something happen vs. really screwing up. Last game of the season, against your biggest rival, bowl game on the line. You have to at least try.

We were down 14 points, with three timeouts, 70 seconds left on the clock, and kicking off to start the second half. Does anyone think that Claeys believes running down the clock gave us the best chance to win, or was he already playing just to make the final score look close before we got to the half?

He said in his post game something to the effect of wanting to let the team regroup but honestly there is no excuse for not trying to do something there when you are already down 14 and the other team is getting the ball first in the 2nd half.

Kill had numerous occasions where he played ultra conservative heading into halftime and Claeys has now done the same thing a few times this season. It is a philosophy I hope he takes a hard look at in the off season and gets rid of. I don't care how rough the half has been you play it safe but you absolutely try to get into field goal range at the very least with that much time on the clock and 3 timeouts.

Claeys also needs to rethink always taking the ball to start the game. Teams defer because it gives them the chance to dictate the start of the second half on offense if need be, with his current philosophy of always taking the ball combined with almost everyone else's desire to defer we will always be starting on offense.

exactly a good reason if you win the toss you defer and start the 2nd half with the ball-- coaching decision of deferring led him to waste a possession to end the half

Kill and now TC have done this repeatedly. It isn't going to change.

Kill and now TC have done this repeatedly. It isn't going to change.

Probably true.

Which is why they have a stunningly good record when they are ahead at the Half, and why they virtually never win when they are behind.

Disgusting. Just forfeit if you don't want to try to win.

Probably true.

Which is why the yhave a stunningly good record when they are ahead at the Half, and why they virtually never win when they are behind.

They did the same conservative, gutless , play to not lose by so much crap against Missouri in last years bowl game. I think it tells your players that the coaches do not have confidence in your ability to make plays. Agree with above post that this coaching staff will continue to be predictable.

You have to weigh the chance of getting downfield fast enough (even with 3 timeouts) vs. risk of a turnover leading to a score (knowing that the defense will be expecting the pass and is also aware of the clock). This is not a fast-moving offense. Taking all factors into consideration, it was a reasonable strategy and a safe compromise between going into the half down by 11 (still a 2-score game) vs. down by 17+.

Kids will never accomplish what you don't give them a chance to do. I figured this would never change when Claeys confirmed he was Kill's time management support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the opponent didn't smell your fear up to that point, they're sure aware of it when you roll over right before halftime like that. You want to make them afraid of you, not the other way around.

I agreed 100% with the decision. Our offense had just helped gift wrap 14 points for them and our defense was reeling. Just get to the half and regroup. With the way our defense played in the 2nd half we had plenty of offensive possessions to try and get back in the game and win the game. Turn the ball over there again and the game is over, as it was our defense controlled the 2nd half for us and we had ample opportunities. The fact that we didn't have the offense to make anything of those opportunities is a different story. Although, I guess some would argue that they couldn't perform in the 2nd half because their confidence was so hurt by the coach not trying to score at the end of the half.

I think exasperating decisions like that absolutely piss off players and possibly throw them out of their mental zone.

Bad decision. We have a kicker with a big leg. Let Mitch try to move the ball. If nobody is open do NOT force it.

This staff, for all their attributes, throws away precious seconds and minutes out of an irrational fear of failure. It's almost like they are scarred by some sort of past traumatic experience; perhaps that one time at Saginaw Valley State when they chucked it downfield and the defense returned it to the 20 and kicked a FG and they ended end up losing by 1 point. Never again.

When considering the aggressive 2 pt conversion call OT the end of the Michigan game, it's hard to figure this staff.

Top Bottom