Cleveland dot com preseason media poll

I mostly agree with this.

I think 5-14 are all pretty close to each other.
I think 1-2 I have clearly above 3-4.

I have Michigan state ahead of UCLA and maybe even in with teams 5-14 but I have no rationale to back that up other than thinking UCLA will be terrible.

Minnesota plays:
3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15

Minnesota misses:
1, 2, 8, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18

Winning close games will be the difference between going 6-3 and 2-7
I would predict 4-5 with wins over 4 teams not named Michigan or Penn state.

Not really sure how you put Nebby or Rutgers ahead of the Gophs. Shiano has won nine conference games in the past four years....9-27. Nebby was 10-26 over that same four seasons. Gophs are middle of the pack...8th, 9th, or 10th.

Simple - because most of these people just copy each others' homework. So, if the first few polls do something, most of the rest will follow.

It does show how this program is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten though. They've been mostly decent over the last 10 years but if they have one bad year, they're poised to return to their latter 20th century status. Meanwhile, Rutgers who is coming off a 7-6 year after 8 straight losing seasons is poised for better things. Of course, Rutgers' very easy schedule figures into that estimation. As we know, Nebraska doesn't even need a winning season for people to expect better things.

There is a growing amount of preseason bulletin board material coming out against MN.
We are underrated and off most peoples radar.
I think this is a desirable place to be; outperforming expectation as opposed to failing to match preseason overhype.

Just another of my many reminders to my gang here that the media tends to be more accurate than us Gopherholers when predicting how Gopher football seasons will go.

2019 stands out as a big exception and the Covid season was weird but in general, outsiders usually do a better job with the season projections when compared to those of us drinking golden koolaid.

Just another of my many reminders to my gang here that the media tends to be more accurate than us Gopherholers when predicting how Gopher football seasons will go.

2019 stands out as a big exception and the Covid season was weird but in general, outsiders usually do a better job with the season projections when compared to those of us drinking golden koolaid.
Correct!

There is a growing amount of preseason bulletin board material coming out against MN.
We are underrated and off most peoples radar.
I think this is a desirable place to be; outperforming expectation as opposed to failing to match preseason overhype.
nothing says outperforming expectations as 0 big ten west titles

Maybe if you only look at the gophers. The media does horrible with preseason predictions overall

I mostly agree with this.

I think 5-14 are all pretty close to each other.
I think 1-2 I have clearly above 3-4.

I have Michigan state ahead of UCLA and maybe even in with teams 5-14 but I have no rationale to back that up other than thinking UCLA will be terrible.

Minnesota plays:

Minnesota misses:
1, 2, 8, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18

Winning close games will be the difference between going 6-3 and 2-7
I would predict 4-5 with wins over 4 teams not named Michigan or Penn state.
8.1 average ranking for those we play compared to 9.5 for those we don't.

8.1 average ranking for those we play compared to 9.5 for those we don't.
Yeah. It’s an odd schedule.
Comparing to last year, it’s an easier schedule to go 12-0, 11-1, or 10-2 against
But it’s a harder schedule to go 6-6, 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3 against.
This analysis is wrong if you consider teams like USC Penn state, Michigan and Washington on the same level as Ohio State and Oregon. I do not.

Which I don’t think plays to our advantage because I think we are a 6-7 win team not a 10+ win team

Last edited:

Meanwhile, Nebraska plays: 1, 5, 7, 6, 9, 13, 15, 17, 18
Iowa plays: 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 14, 16
Wisconsin plays: 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14, 18

Minnesota plays:

Minnesota plays:
Looks to me like we'll have a pretty solid resume for the top seed in the CFP when all is said and done!

Minnesota plays:
Not playing Purdue, Indiana, hurts

But the gophers were 0-1 vs those two last year so maybe it doesn’t matter

Simple - because most of these people just copy each others' homework. So, if the first few polls do something, most of the rest will follow.

It does show how this program is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Big Ten though. They've been mostly decent over the last 10 years but if they have one bad year, they're poised to return to their latter 20th century status. Meanwhile, Rutgers who is coming off a 7-6 year after 8 straight losing seasons is poised for better things. Of course, Rutgers' very easy schedule figures into that estimation. As we know, Nebraska doesn't even need a winning season for people to expect better things.
My post was rhetorical.

Top Bottom