Classless Iowa fans throwing trash on field

Wife and I went in 2001. Fans were extremely rude and shouted obscenities at us outside and inside the stadium. It was awful. She has vowed never to go back. I've been back twice during the Brewster years and didn't have a problem those times. Everybody's experience is different every time.

Nubin was dumb to do that, the penalty is all on him, and he knows he is better than that.
agreed. and Iowa knew better than to swat the ball away from the center. and their QB knew better than to keep playing long after the whistle. And DeJean knows that flailing his hands around during a punt return is illegal. And Iowa fans know that throwing trash on the field, at players, and at refs should incur a UC penalty.

agreed. and Iowa knew better than to swat the ball away from the center. and their QB knew better than to keep playing long after the whistle. And DeJean knows that flailing his hands around during a punt return is illegal. And Iowa fans know that throwing trash on the field, at players, and at refs should incur a UC penalty.
I think Nubin is a cut above all the others you listed. He knows better.

I don’t think as a whole their fan base is much different than ours. Drunks anywhere are a risk. I have had pleasant trips to Iowa City other than the Gophers losing.

I'm OK with not calling a penalty on the fans. They were given a warning and stopped. Had they continued then yes. It was a huge swing in events so an initial reaction happens.

I think some have the wrong recollection of what Nubin did and should probably go rewatch it. It was after the whistle, Hill was sitting on the turf pleading his case that he got in and Nubin went over and swatted the ball out of his hands in the direction of some other Iowa players. It was an easy call for the official and it was a bonehead move by a player that should have known better.

As for the Iowa defender swatting the ball before the snap, my guess is that had he kept doing it the officials would have flagged him for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Tough to say if DeJean knew what he was doing was illegal. As a punt returner he should know the rule but given the amount of confusion people still have about the play who knows.

And finally to the fans throwing stuff at the players.....it should never happen but it is a problem with how that stadium is setup with the fans right on top of the opposing teams bench. Tough to tell on the TV copy but sounded like a warning was issued about throwing things on the field and at the bench and a penalty would have been assessed had it continued. Iowa fans have always been crude and vulgar during games (not all of them but enough of them). But it should never rise to the point of throwing things at players and coaches and anyone that takes part in crap like that needs to take a real close look at their priorities in life because that is messed up behavior.

I think some have the wrong recollection of what Nubin did and should probably go rewatch it. It was after the whistle, Hill was sitting on the turf pleading his case that he got in and Nubin went over and swatted the ball out of his hands in the direction of some other Iowa players. It was an easy call for the official and it was a bonehead move by a player that should have known better.
This. People need to stop complaining about the Nubin call. What he did is unsportsmanlike and clearly against the rules. You can't hit the ball away like that. It's called every time.

I'm OK with not calling a penalty on the fans. They were given a warning and stopped. Had they continued then yes. It was a huge swing in events so an initial reaction happens.
Ummm no, they didn't stop. There were numerous things thrown before, during, and after the announcement. Were you at the game?

Top Bottom