Claey's "You are better than you think you are" comment after the Northwestern win

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Claey's "You are better than you think you are" comment after the Northwestern win

Could it be that the players really believe it?

Something tells me the Husker players are believers!

This is confidence, added to commitment, composure, and concentration. The players have taken the step that allows them to play at their maximum talent level. The key play series for me was in the fourth quarter. Nelson rolls right Williams is wide open and he underthrows him. Nelson's hands went to his helmet for a second or two. A run, and back to the roll right and he hits Williams for the first down. If you go inside Nelson head, he didn't dwell on the under throw. He corrected it, and delivered. The team did it several times. Nebraska was moving, Hageman's sack and face mask call. He comes right back and sacks him again. This is mental toughness. One play at a time. It sounds simple, it sounds too trite, but when you develop it, its almost a cornerstone.

This is confidence, added to commitment, composure, and concentration. The players have taken the step that allows them to play at their maximum talent level. The key play series for me was in the fourth quarter. Nelson rolls right Williams is wide open and he underthrows him. Nelson's hands went to his helmet for a second or two. A run, and back to the roll right and he hits Williams for the first down. If you go inside Nelson head, he didn't dwell on the under throw. He corrected it, and delivered. The team did it several times. Nebraska was moving, Hageman's sack and face mask call. He comes right back and sacks him again. This is mental toughness. One play at a me. It sounds simple, it sounds too trite, but when you develop it, its almost a cornerstone.

Great assessment of what is happening with this team. Getting the players to understand the above and believe it is where the real coaching is taking place. I have always been disappointed by some of the people here who have never understood how Jerry and company were changing the culture here. Brick by Brick.

^^ I was saying that during the game as well. Typical Gopher teams get penalized or make bad plays (or a bad 3 and out at a crucial time) and come back the next play/drive flatter than ever. In almost every minor or major setback situation, the team and individuals responded. That never used to happen and was, IMO, a major factor in winning this game.

Yep. Neb. ran through us like a hot knife going through soft butter in that first drive and were on the way to the same until Cochran sacked #3 and they settled for a FG. Then the guys proceeded to run the ball down the Husker throats with a convincing 76 yd drive.

That is confidence. Plus knowing that they can play and even outplay Nebraska had to be huge.

Pelini said that the Gophers beat them physically. The guys must have believed that even down 10-0. This is what Coach Kill is teaching. Be tougher than your opponent.

Thanks Pelini for being honest. I hope the players and coaches focus on that comment as they prepare for IU.

Yep. Neb. ran through us like a hot knife going through soft butter in that first drive and were on the way to the same until Cochran sacked #3 and they settled for a FG. Then the guys proceeded to run the ball down the Husker throats with a convincing 76 yd drive.

That is confidence. Plus knowing that they can play and even outplay Nebraska had to be huge.

Pelini said that the Gophers beat them physically. The guys must have believed that even down 10-0. This is what Coach Kill is teaching. Be tougher than your opponent.

Thanks Pelini for being honest. I hope the players and coaches focus on that comment as they prepare for IU.

I've been savoring this win for several hours now. At the beginning of the ESPN telecast, I believe it was Bob Griese, who said Minnesota would have to use "smoke and mirrors" to win the game - that Minnesota just didn't have the athletes to match up with Nebraska. But near the end he withdrew that comment and acknowledged that Minnesota's OL was very physical. I don't think it was just the OL, I think we controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides. What's more, I thought our play calling on both sides was excellent. This was a very good and well deserved win. If we can continue to play this well, or better, we should win two or three more games this season. I only wish we had played this well against Iowa.

Great assessment of what is happening with this team. Getting the players to understand the above and believe it is where the real coaching is taking place. I have always been disappointed by some of the people here who have never understood how Jerry and company were changing the culture here. Brick by Brick.
Still learning and still getting better. Imagine when confidence and muscle memory collide as this young group grows up in this system.

This is confidence, added to commitment, composure, and concentration. The players have taken the step that allows them to play at their maximum talent level. The key play series for me was in the fourth quarter. Nelson rolls right Williams is wide open and he underthrows him. Nelson's hands went to his helmet for a second or two. A run, and back to the roll right and he hits Williams for the first down. If you go inside Nelson head, he didn't dwell on the under throw. He corrected it, and delivered. The team did it several times. Nebraska was moving, Hageman's sack and face mask call. He comes right back and sacks him again. This is mental toughness. One play at a time. It sounds simple, it sounds too trite, but when you develop it, its almost a cornerstone.

Amazing to watch wasn't it? We used to never recover from those momentum killing plays but yesterday we overcame about 4 or 5 in the game. It was crazy to see them not let the last play dictate the rest of the game...

Just imagine how all the Gopher players are feeling right now playing for Coach Kill & his coaches. Regardless of the outcome of the rest of the games this year, this is a already a championship season in the heart for years to come.

This is truly a story about what college athletics should all be about - shaping and molding young men of character and helping them overcome all their adversities. The game teaches them about winning in life, and about teamwork. Take Cedric Thompson's well documented story for instance. These kids are already all winners.

If I am the parent of a young recruit, Coach Kill is the man I'd want my son to play for.

This is one victory I'll cherish for the rest of my life. Thank you Coach Kill, Coach Claeys, Coach Limegrover, and the rest of the team & staff.

Top Bottom