Chronicle of Higher Education: Jim Delany Wants the Power to Fire Coaches

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The Big Ten is mulling a proposal that would give its commissioner, already one of the most powerful men in college sports, the authority to fire coaches himself, The Chronicle reports today.

The proposal, part of a plan being circulated among Big Ten leaders, would give James E. Delany, who has overseen the league since 1989, and a powerful committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of an institution, should their actions significantly harm the league’s reputation.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/jim-delany-wants-the-power-to-fire-coaches/30771

Go Gophers!!

He can't properly name divisions within a conference. How could he possibly be entrusted with determing the fate of coaches?

Hmmmm...he asks for the stars and will get the moon. The moon was his goal the whole time. I wonder what his play is here?

Hmmmm.. I wonder what his play is here

Well... I've been trying to land a Big Ten head coaching gig for years, with a long history of EA Sports NCAA success as my resume. After failing to get an interview at either Penn State or Ohio State this past year, I decided that these decisions need to be made by someone higher in the chain of command. Enter Jim Delany. This proposal is only the first step. He's told me that it may take a few years, but eventually he wants to be in charge of hiring all Big Ten Coaches too. I've been assured that I'll be on a short list of candidates once we get to that point.

:cool02::cool02:

The University Presidents should not go for this nonsense at all. If they want to sanction PSU, they should man up and do it themselves. They are supposed to be the leaders of the conference, not Jim Delaney. I respect Delaney a lot, but if I were the university presidents this proposal would really po me.

When I read the headline, I thought this might have been from "The Borowitz Report." Actually, he appears to be serious.

He can't properly name divisions within a conference. How could he possibly be entrusted with determing the fate of coaches?

LOL

There are many GHers that would like to have the power to fire coaches also. Some of them think they already do.:)

If this happens it will just be one more step toward athletics separating from the University and becoming a sports league rather than a part of an educational institution.

So Woody slugs a linebacker and Delaney fires the Cleveland State coach?

Talking about a can of worms.

Well... I've been trying to land a Big Ten head coaching gig for years, with a long history of EA Sports NCAA success as my resume. After failing to get an interview at either Penn State or Ohio State this past year, I decided that these decisions need to be made by someone higher in the chain of command. Enter Jim Delany. This proposal is only the first step. He's told me that it may take a few years, but eventually he wants to be in charge of hiring all Big Ten Coaches too. I've been assured that I'll be on a short list of candidates once we get to that point.

:cool02::cool02:

Jim got this idea from WCHA commish Bruce Mc Leold. The first coach on the his hit list? Bob Motzo!

Hmmmm...he asks for the stars and will get the moon. The moon was his goal the whole time. I wonder what his play is here?

I think the extent of the penalties will be the difference between the stars and the moon. My guess is he wants the ability to at least suspend coaches and withdraw scholarships for non-NCAA violations that make the conference look bad. He will probably not end up with final say in firing a coach (if he did, would the B1G be on the hook for any contract buyout???), but maybe he will get the ability to call for a vote from the other teams in the B1G to can the coach.

While there's a side of me that thinks this would be ok as long as there were an appeal system outside of Delaney, I worry about future commissioners abusing this power.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...g-more-power-to-jim-delany-is-the-right-move/

Take on why it's the right move.

Personally, I don't care....just make sure stadiums don't run out of hot dogs & I'm good.

I think it is a fair assessment. It is not the same Big Ten that was envisioned at Palmer house Chicago a century ago. It is very complicated and intertwined group of entities. The best way to run is NFl model with a powerful leader and a committee which is going to have ultimate authority over individual schools. There are too many contractual obligations to fulfill. There is no such a thing as free lunch, right? For all the millions schools are taking in, it will be the price to pay.

Listen people, all we have to do is turn all things over to Michelle Bachmann and all will be good.

If this goes to a vote there is no way in hell it won't be 0-12 unless someone doesn't vote.

If this goes to a vote there is no way in hell it won't be 0-12 unless someone doesn't vote.

It is hard not to agree with you since most people don't want more people looking over there shoulders. I wonder if he is not sending them a message that football and college athletics are under a great deal of scruitiny and that need to start dealing with this. My guess is that this may be a strawman for something else.

Here is President Kaler's comment. Is it a NO?

Minnesota president Eric Kaler said he doubts that individual schools would be willing to give up control to the conference on such an issue of firing a coach. Still, Kaler said it's important for Big Ten leaders to sharpen their standards.

My guess is that this may be a strawman for something else.

I agree. Maybe it has something to do with Penn St and Delany's ability to punish/sanction universities. Does anyone have any insight into the kind of power he has to issue sanctions right now?

mattw1067 said:
I agree. Maybe it has something to do with Penn St and Delany's ability to punish/sanction universities. Does anyone have any insight into the kind of power he has to issue sanctions right now?

According to Glen Mason today - he can issue fines if coaches complain about the refs. But thats all he mentioned.

Too bad he didn't have the power to fire AD's about six years ago.

Top Bottom