Ihnen
Fox
Henley
Payne
Carrington
Ola Joseph
Evans
Christie

That's 13 -unless I missed someone. Ramberg was a one year deal. At least one more leaves. Bolded names are my must keeps. Garcia has changed my mind- he is an important piece despite the logjam at the 4-5 spots.
Betts.

Did I say that? If I did, please quote me.
What I am done with is chicken littles who imagine they are coaches.
If we are going to get a guard or two which we need badly, someone has to go as our scholarships are all filled. In your previous post you suggested that someone saying players needed to go and be replaced was a St Thomas fan. If you think we should be doing more recruiting for next year then you must be a St Thomas fan??

If we are going to get a guard or two which we need badly, someone has to go as our scholarships are all filled. In your previous post you suggested that someone saying players needed to go and be replaced was a St Thomas fan. If you think we should be doing more recruiting for next year then you must be a St Thomas fan??
I think Coach Johnson will figure it out. Therefore I won't speculate from fear.

Now recruiting wings is something we only do out of fear. LOL. Only on Gopherhole.

JOJ, Payne, Carrington, Henley, Garcia, Evans, Ihnen, Fox and Christie all 6-5 or taller are a good core. Now go get 4 Big Ten guards and we are in business. Ben has a big job to do this spring.
The nice thing is he can put a ton of focus into it. They can and will search and do whatever they can to pretty much fill one spot. They are in good shape with HS recruiting currently so they don’t even have to balance it that way very much either.

The nice thing is he can put a ton of focus into it. They can and will search and do whatever they can to pretty much fill one spot. They are in good shape with HS recruiting currently so they don’t even have to balance it that way very much either.
One spot? If they go out and get one good guard and he gets injured, we are right back here arguing about excuses next year. Get at least two quick ball handlers that can defend opposing guards at this level. I get that Ben has himself in a corner with so many bigs. He is going to have to make some hard decisions.

One spot? If they go out and get one good guard and he gets injured, we are right back here arguing about excuses next year. Get at least two quick ball handlers that can defend opposing guards at this level. I get that Ben has himself in a corner with so many bigs. He is going to have to make some hard decisions.
Currently we don’t have the space. If that happens and more open up then sure. These aren’t hard decisions/conversations for a coach who’s open in communication and most likely there will be two. You can’t count on getting two high level guys. The attempt to get one high level is probably our best bet with continued development of the ones we have

Currently we don’t have the space. If that happens and more open up then sure. These aren’t hard decisions/conversations for a coach who’s open in communication and most likely there will be two. You can’t count on getting two high level guys. The attempt to get one high level is probably our best bet with continued development of the ones we have
Major conversations with the two guys coming off serious injuries in consecutive seasons. They are both getting older, will not have played in almost three years when next season starts and no one has any idea how well they can return physically from the injury. They are in position of relative strength on the team. I’m never a fan of counting heavily on guys returning from serious injury anyway but two of them on the roster is debilitating.

Last edited:

Next year does have the potential to be a major turnaround for the basketball team.

PG: Transfer/Cooper/Christie
SG: Christie/Henley/Carrington
SF: Battle/JoJ/Betts/Ihnen
PF: Garcia/Battle/Fox
C: Evans/Payne

After watching Christie some more I am very excited. Kid played through a busted up nose against the Fears brothers and he has serious passing skills. Not to mention a very good offensive game.

I do not see Evans as a savior on offense. Defensively, he will be worth his weight in gold! We should see a defensive efficiency upgrade immediately.

We really do need a good point to put it all together. Ben has to sell playing with these guys and building a winner in Minny.

It shouldn’t be that hard. Too bad we don’t have any significant NIL to throw around.

Just read a list of the top ten 2023 recruits in Illinois. Four are headed to the Big Ten.

9. Brock Harding (Iowa)
5. Owen Freeman (Iowa)
3. Cameron Christie (Minnesota)
1. Jeremy Fears (Michigan State)

Just read a list of the top ten 2023 recruits in Illinois. Four are headed to the Big Ten.

9. Brock Harding (Iowa)
5. Owen Freeman (Iowa)
I'm really curious about what Tre Holloman's role will be next year. He doesn't play much as it is, and Fears is another 5* PG in the fold.

Yep, I'd love for him to come home. Even if he only ends up being a high energy depth at the PG spot, he has a skill we desperately need.
I don't see it happening and he plays as a freshmen for Izzo. He's defense first and that's his role.

9. Brock Harding (Iowa)
5. Owen Freeman (Iowa)
Wow lot of Illini misses, huh?

Lot of kids don’t want to stay home, at least initially.

Strong, natural urge to get away from home.

Is what it is. No point fighting it, for those who have decided that. Not all do. Leave the door open, and move on.

I don't see it happening and he plays as a freshmen for Izzo. He's defense first and that's his role.
Yeah, probably not, but I think it's more likely than some folks realize.

He has only played over 10 minutes once in the last month and they are bringing in a really good FR PG. If that player jumps Holloman on the depth chart, there aren't a ton of minutes. All three of their current starters in their backcourt could return next year. Walker might go pro, but he could return. The other two will likely be back.

Essentially, if Walker does not pro, he is fighting with a 5 star PG (24th ranked nationally) for the same role he had this year.

If Walker does go pro, he is fighting that player for the likely starting spot, but I also wouldn't be shocked if MSU looks for the portal if Walker leaves.

They might like Holloman but programs like MSU don't typically put their program in the hands of a player averaging 1 point and 1 assist per game. That isn't me ripping on Holloman, that just doesn't seem like something Izzo would feel comfortable doing.

He has only played over 10 minutes once in the last month and they are bringing in a really good FR PG. If that player jumps Holloman on the depth chart, there aren't a ton of minutes. All three of their current starters in their backcourt could return next year. Walker might go pro, but he could return. The other two will likely be back.

Essentially, if Walker does not pro, he is fighting with a 5 star PG (24th ranked nationally) for the same role he had this year.

If Walker does go pro, he is fighting that player for the likely starting spot, but I also wouldn't be shocked if MSU looks for the portal if Walker leaves.

They might like Holloman but programs like MSU don't typically put their program in the hands of a player averaging 1 point and 1 assist per game. That isn't me ripping on Holloman, that just doesn't seem like something Izzo would feel comfortable doing.
Good post. If I'm Holloman, I'm gonna keep competing with the best. You're only an injury away from an opportunity and Michigan State is typically in good shape come tournament time.

It seems to me that if Walker stays at Mich St then Holloman leaves. I can't see someone that wants to compete riding the bench again with little chance at getting substantial playing time, especially someone that has alternatives.

Top Bottom