Chip Scoggins: Tackling no-huddle shows veteran coach Kill's malleability

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Whether the Gophers employ no-huddle a little or a lot this season depends on everyone’s comfort level in practice. The fact that Kill has embraced the idea shows smart coaching and an understanding that his program still needs to grow and evolve after reaching a New Year’s Day bowl game last season.

The Gophers need more production from quarterback Mitch Leidner and their passing game, and this might help spark it.

“If we want to win two or three more ballgames,” Kill said, “this is the next step.”

Maybe the no-huddle becomes just a change of pace, something they use occasionally. Or maybe it will be a big part of their offense. However it unfolds, Kill is wise to give it a shot.

“We’re not losing our identity,” he said. “We are who we are. However, if we can incorporate this and change the face of the game and not make it complicated for the kids, that would be something.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/299470371.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

It's called "coaching". Shocking concept.

The number one reason we are running no huddle in spring football is preparing for game one, TCU. Our defense will be very comfortable with the pace of the game. Last spring we worked versus Iowa offensive tendencies and you saw the results of that.
We are pointing to game one.
I'm not saying it is the only reason by any means but it is an important factor. If we truly had no hurry up offense at all...that's a bit alarming. Obviously every team needs one at some point in the season. Happy to see we will now have one, at a minimum.
Part of our success is controlling the clock...helping our defense by keeping the other team's offense off the field. I'm very skeptical we go away from what does work for us.

We are not going away from huddling. It's about being better at two minute drill, helping out defense prepare, and taking advantage of opponents that lack defensive depths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom