Chip Scoggins: Saturday is simple: Win the trenches, win the pig

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chip:

The fight for Floyd of Rosedale last season got decided by a guy waving his hand. Saturday’s rematch will be determined by guys flexing their muscles.

Iowa versus Gophers 2024 is all about the trenches.

The winner of the bronzed Pig will be the team that gains the upper hand in the slop.

Forget historical records and all the sexier story lines that draw attention in rivalry games. Comparing quarterbacks and arguing about invalid fair catch signals is fun fodder, but this is a matchup that comes down to the big boys.

One could say that every football game hinges on the play of offensive and defensive lines. That’s especially true when it involves two teams constructed in similar fashion, each knowing that its own perceived strength is the other’s perceived strength and that winning the game will be awfully difficult if they don’t win the line of scrimmage first.

“This game is always won in the trenches in my opinion,” Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said. “Always.”

Go Gophers!!

Um, I thought the ball was the program? Win the the turnover battle, win the game! :)

Trenches part: Two things really...can we stop their elite college rushing leader?
Can the Gophers mix the run and pass and move the ball consistently versus the Iowa defense?

4 of the last 5 years we've won in the trenches.

We are 1-3 in those games, and barely got the one win.

Turnovers have killed us and just doing stupid schit.

That Mo fumble still blows to this day. I'm not saying anything against Mo. That Tyler Johnson drop will suck forever.

I'm actually confident we win in the trenches tomorrow.

Top Bottom