Chip Scoggins: One of college hockey's best rivalries losing out to power of dollar

Actually, it is being killed by the pig-headedness of the residents of North Dakota who insist on keeping the Fighting Sioux name and logo.

I am sure the series would continue if the ND legislature and voters would keep their hands out of UND's business.

Actually, it is being killed by the pig-headedness of the residents of North Dakota who insist on keeping the Fighting Sioux name and logo.

I am sure the series would continue if the ND legislature and voters would keep their hands out of UND's business.

I have to agree...The PC movement is not a new one. I was a grade-school lad when Monticello caved to the social pressures and shed the "Redmen" moniker to become the Magic. That was 25-ish?? years ago. This is not a new idea, and North Dakotans have had a long time to come to terms with today's social norms. I know it's important to UND and their alumni base, but for pete's sake, it wasn't even their original nickname!!!

Let it go and move into the 21st Century, like it or not!

Now if PETA takes over the world and requires us to change our nickname, I may have issues with that, but that's not reality! UND-This is your reality. Live in it!

Go Gophers! (with apologies to offended members of the rodent family)

We may be their rival but everyone in the WCHA is our rival. Our rival is and will continue to be Wisconsin. Who cares about the Flickertails.

We may be their rival but everyone in the WCHA is our rival. Our rival is and will continue to be Wisconsin. Who cares about the Flickertails.

For a lot of the fans who care more about hockey than football, the Sioux are a bigger rival than Wisconsin. I know I hate losing to NoDak even more than I hate losing to Wisconsin in hockey.

I will miss the No Dak series but the split is unavoidable.

First, as other posters have said, they should have welcomed in the 21st Century. Like it or not, it's not a battle you're going to win.

Second, the rivalry has always been one-sided as far as the benefit that it brings the respective programs. It's great rivalry on the ice, but UND gets more out of their exposure to the Twin Cities than we get out of our exposure to North Dakota. In a lot of ways, the WCHA was funded by the power of the U of MN hockey program.

I have to agree...The PC movement is not a new one. I was a grade-school lad when Monticello caved to the social pressures and shed the "Redmen" moniker to become the Magic. That was 25-ish?? years ago. This is not a new idea, and North Dakotans have had a long time to come to terms with today's social norms. I know it's important to UND and their alumni base, but for pete's sake, it wasn't even their original nickname!!!
I'm not so sure Monticello caved in that it was a state mandate. Every school in the state changed at once, IIRC. I attended Sauk Rapids, and we changed to the Storm (about as non-descript as Magic). Heck, half the teams in the Rum River conference were called the Indians.

I hadn't even thought of the Sioux implication moving to the B1G -- not being able to play teams with tribe names OOC. I just lumped them in with UND & SCSU not being as prevalent rivals anymore.

I'm not so sure Monticello caved in that it was a state mandate. Every school in the state changed at once, IIRC. I attended Sauk Rapids, and we changed to the Storm (about as non-descript as Magic). Heck, half the teams in the Rum River conference were called the Indians.

I hadn't even thought of the Sioux implication moving to the B1G -- not being able to play teams with tribe names OOC. I just lumped them in with UND & SCSU not being as prevalent rivals anymore.
Not sure about the state mandate, Sleepy Eye has always been the Inidans I believe.

Does the policy on out of conference games include teams like the FSU Seminoles who have received the blessing of the relevant tribe(s)? Obviously Florida State wouldn't be a hockey opponent either way.

Top Bottom