Chip Scoggins: One-dimensional offense works now, but Gophers will need to throw

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Defenses increasingly are focusing more and more on Smith & Brooks, almost daring the Gophers to pass. Smith said they see “a lot of man-to-man coverages to have more guys free to play the run.”

Smith’s 20-yard touchdown run in the first quarter showed the benefits of having two running backs who demand equal attention.

Brooks lined up outside and went in motion on a jet sweep. The linebackers flowed with him, leaving Smith a wide running lane.

“When he’s jetting across, you don’t know if he’s getting the ball or if I’m getting the ball,” Smith said.

They have a good thing going right now. Smith & Brooks have given the offense its identity. But with better competition ahead, they will need help and possibly a Plan B.

http://www.startribune.com/emphasis...-now-for-gophers-but-not-in-future/399183921/

Go Gophers!!

November can bring some cold, icy winds...rain...snow...ice. Throw the ball around a little, yes. Abandon the run and throw 30 passes? Nope. November is not the time to reinvent the offense totally. Play within your strengths and means Gopher. Foul weather would be the friend of the Gopher! Plan B is not necessary. Stay with what works and chuck the ball a few more times if necessary. Defense, time of possession and field position means even more in November. I think the Coaches will figure out just what the correct ratio of runs to passes will be. Beat the Boilermaker, Gopher!

Just get Brooks and Smith out in space. I don't care how you do it

Agree....any type of screen pass. the old A&B circle rout, quick pass out to the wing when one or the other is in that formation. Also use one or the other on the jet sweep. For the life of me I can't believe they use Woli.

Top Bottom