Chip Scoggins: Nothing golden about status of U athletics

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Lean times are nothing unusual for Gophers athletics, but their current condition is particularly sobering even by their standards.

It’s not inconceivable to think the Gophers could experience a sea change in their most highly visible positions in the next 24 months.

That wouldn’t necessarily be ideal. Change is hard (and expensive) and brings certain risks. Stability within a department remains preferable, if possible, because turnover doesn’t guarantee better results.

But the Gophers find themselves in a tenuous place with their bell-cow programs. If a significant turnaround doesn’t happen quickly, the department could undergo a transformation in leadership.

Pitino’s squad needs to make a sizable leap next season, too. The “Fire Pitino” crowd is in full-throat, but despite this dreadful season, Pitino deserves one more season before rendering a final decision on him.

Give Pitino a chance to coach his highly touted recruiting class, led by Hopkins star Amir Coffey, and two transfers that are sitting out this season. If this mess continues, Pitino will have exhausted all excuses.

http://www.startribune.com/nothing-golden-about-status-of-gophers-athletics/365708131/

Go Gophers!!

Whispering to the empty hand rather wiping the poop off the other so you can actually grasp something.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Whispering to the empty hand rather wiping the poop off the other so you can actually grasp something.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Don't be offended if I don't shake hands with you.

Top Bottom