Chip Scoggins: Next AD needs the Midas touch

I wonder how many of these 200 people in Minnestoa, Joel had on the speed dial. Its one thing to travel all over America looking for alumni, but are you covering the movers and shakers in Minnesota. I have had the pleasure to have casually met a half dozen and its not my job. There are others not on this list

http://www.tcbmag.com/superstars/200minnesotansyoushouldknow/index.aspx

The biggest part of this marketing needs to be multi level. It slays me the University touts its Carlson School of Management, we have Marilyn Carlson Nelson, Skip Gage, Harvey McKay, Dave Mona close to the progam and we get the same clueless result. There are those who can endow scholarships, provide funding, but most important is attracting the 28-40 year old with disposable income. And sell the entertainment factor of Winning. Selling college football, to a small town hardware store owner, or banker, or farmer. The small business owner, doctors, plumbers. What about the entertainment factor of Coroporate season tickets. Dinner at Jax, bus to the game. There are so many customers for Gopher Football and it would seem we keep selling to the loyal 35,000 and the ticket brokers.

Our luck, we get the muffler shop and not the king.

I wonder how many of these 200 people in Minnestoa, Joel had on the speed dial. Its one thing to travel all over America looking for alumni, but are you covering the movers and shakers in Minnesota. I have had the pleasure to have casually met a half dozen and its not my job. There are others not on this list

http://www.tcbmag.com/superstars/200minnesotansyoushouldknow/index.aspx

The biggest part of this marketing needs to be multi level. It slays me the University touts its Carlson School of Management, we have Marilyn Carlson Nelson, Skip Gage, Harvey McKay, Dave Mona close to the progam and we get the same clueless result. There are those who can endow scholarships, provide funding, but most important is attracting the 28-40 year old with disposable income. And sell the entertainment factor of Winning. Selling college football, to a small town hardware store owner, or banker, or farmer. The small business owner, doctors, plumbers. What about the entertainment factor of Coroporate season tickets. Dinner at Jax, bus to the game. There are so many customers for Gopher Football and it would seem we keep selling to the loyal 35,000 and the ticket brokers.

Crap, why couldn't the list have 201. I'm sure I just missed the cut-off.

And when we get this fundraising wunderkind, I'm going to love visiting this board after he announces we're tearing down Williams Arena and building the new Cargill Center and shortly thereafter, we've partnered with another local company and Mariucci Arena is renamed Best Buy Arena. Just think of all the new resources for our revenue sports. He also better hurry before we have signage up for siebert field.

And when we get this fundraising wunderkind, I'm going to love visiting this board after he announces we're tearing down Williams Arena and building the new Cargill Center and shortly thereafter, we've partnered with another local company and Mariucci Arena is renamed Best Buy Arena. Just think of all the new resources for our revenue sports. He also better hurry before we have signage up for siebert field.

Sadly, this might be the way to go.

Who are these people? Do they exist?

Yes they are KFAN demo group.

I would point out I am not in marketing, have no connection to the Carlson School, nor the University of Minnesota.

I did spend nearly 30 years in sales, and I will tell you three things we don't do. Know your customer, how do they make their decision. Is it an anaylitcial cost/benefit base, or do they buy on the idea of liking the brand and what it does for them, do they buy on word of another a friend, spokesman, or you the salesmmen. Do they buy because it is convienent or what it says about them?

Second, know your product. Its more than seats and dates. Going back to the customer, what seat fits their profile? What additional services maybe necessary? Parking, yes we have a package. Pre game, yes we can connect you, do you entertain? would your group expand and contract? We can handle that. Easy access to your seats? Best value seats? Why is Gopher Football your best value? What can Gopher Football offer that no other venue can? You need transport for a group of 20 or more?

Finally, know your competition. You are dealing with a beast in the NFL. I will take the Vikings out of the equation since it the idea what an NFL team offers. The best players on the planet. TV covergage. NFL Draft, Super Bowl. More and more the NFL is a studio game played indoors for TV. The committment to time on a Sunday in a stadium is 4 plus hours. There are areas of the stadium you would not want to be, or expose your wife or kids to. Drunken foul mouthed fans. The stadium experience can be close to a bar room brawl. That is not how it comes into your living room, den, or man cave. The NFL is all about Billionaires and millionaires and less about the game. The NFL admitts its biggest problem is stadium attendence.

Oh sure they have The Lombardi Trophy and The Super Bowl. But college has over 100 year rivalries, The Apple Cup, The Big Game, The The Little Brown Jug, The World's Largest Cocktail Party, The Axe, The Old Oaken Bucket, and of course Floyd. Its about young men taking a game to the next level and representing the U. Its about a kid from Blue Earth or Edina. Mankato or Waconia. Its about 6 National Championships.

Most important is looking outside the loyal 35,000. Starting with the loyalists what is there demo and what should we add? The young professional female. Maybe a U grad maybe not. The double income no kids couple, The family with kids. This is a safe, enjoyable form of entertainment in an excellent venue. The group of buddies Saturday night. Kick it off at the game and go from there. Crash at Radison grab a brunch and head home. Maybe some kind of package between the ticket office and Radison. I think they call it cross marketing.

Bottom line looking at last years pro results outside of Lynx. You have as good a chance seeing and being a part of a winner at TCF.

How many tickets do you want to order?
Sure we can hold them for you, mail them, email them. And sure we can add on at anytime.

Top Bottom